Gas, pay at the pump or prepay

Beerball

Until reading this article I had no idea that there were stations that still allowed you to pump and then pay.  Apparently the practice is still alive and well in some areas including MN where things are changing.

Where are you and can you pump and pay?

I personally can't think of anything but pay at the pump/prepay for years and years. 

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/crime/to-prevent-drive-off-thefts-kwik-trip-changes-how-you-pay-for-gasoline/89-114a5c5e-cd92-4157-91a7-62ddc512264e?

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The long established Petro-Canada in Fort Erie allows fueling, then pay inside.  The Canadian Tire gas bar a few kilometres further east is the same, but might have time restrictions as to when you can pump, then pay.

I tend to listen to Simcoe County Ontario emergency services on the scanner, and it seems that the smaller stations outside Barrie and Orillia allow pump, then pay.  Not unusual a few times a week to hear police being sent to take reports on drive offs.  Seems like a lot of stations have very good cameras, almost all of these drive offs have a plate reported.

• Like (+1) 1

Oh... I think it was about 5 years ago everything here went to prepay/pay @ the pump.  I always paid after pumping.

2 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

The long established Petro-Canada in Fort Erie allows fueling, then pay inside.  The Canadian Tire gas bar a few kilometres further east is the same, but might have time restrictions as to when you can pump, then pay.

I tend to listen to Simcoe County Ontario emergency services on the scanner, and it seems that the smaller stations outside Barrie and Orillia allow pump, then pay.  Not unusual a few times a week to hear police being sent to take reports on drive offs.  Seems like a lot of stations have very good cameras, almost all of these drive offs have a plate reported.

Go to Iowa and there are signs at some filling stations: "No personal checks!"

Remember when you could float a check! Buy groceries on Sunday and get paid on Thursday.  The good old trusting days!

Who da hell still cuts a paper check! And if they do, they just EFT it and give you the paper back!

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Anyway... Remember the good ole days when you could pay after?  Then the slugs that drove off and the cops couldn't do anything about it.

Before the pay-at-the-pump days, the station I went to regularly allowed pump and then pay inside. One day, I filled my tank and then drove off. I got a few blocks away when it occurred to me that I had forgotten to pay. I went back and told the attendant. He hadn't noticed, but he did thank me for being honest and coming back to pay. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Before the pay-at-the-pump days, the station I went to regularly allowed pump and then pay inside. One day, I filled my tank and then drove off. I got a few blocks away when it occurred to me that I had forgotten to pay. I went back and told the attendant. He hadn't noticed, but he did thank me for being honest and coming back to pay. 

How times have changed, they would probably send the SWAT team after you now. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Stewart's chain of convenience stores (northeastern NY and southwestern VT) still have the pump, then pay option.

The workers inside have security cameras and are also alerted when someone is pumping prior to paying.  They will use the intercom and say, "WELCOME TO STEWARTS PUMP 5!" just to let the customer know that they're watching.

There is a local Sunoco station that incentivizes using cash (although not pre-pay) by dropping the price/gallon by 10 cents if you don't use your card.

Unless you don't have a CC, paying inside makes no sense when it allows you to do it right at the pump.  Even if you want to go checkout the convenience store (just pay with CC and go in).  Unless they give you a better rate for cash.

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

At the pump

the only time I prepay is when the pump is acting up 

I guess I dint ax my question clearly. It's not pay at the pump vs. prepay it"s I can't believe there are still places that allow you to pump then pay.

2 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

CC at the pump here. Ya can go in and prepay for a set amount and get a delicious Dandy Dog if ya want!

Nothing wrong with a roller dog. Heck, nowadays they have roller cheeseburgers.

6 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Pay @ the pump.  Fill'r up till she stops!

Prepay is BS!  I don't know how much it'll take.

Anyway... Remember the good ole days when you could pay after?  Then the slugs that drove off and the cops couldn't do anything about it.

I remember back in the early 1980's going down to one of the local gas stations to get the gas can filled for my grandfather's lawn mower, and all I had to say was to put it on his tab.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Beerball said:

Until reading this article I had no idea that there were stations that still allowed you to pump and then pay.  Apparently the practice is still alive and well in some areas including MN where things are changing.

Where are you and can you pump and pay?

I personally can't think of anything but pay at the pump/prepay for years and years. 

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/crime/to-prevent-drive-off-thefts-kwik-trip-changes-how-you-pay-for-gasoline/89-114a5c5e-cd92-4157-91a7-62ddc512264e?

Pay from the car, at the pump ...are there other options now

Edited by Steve O

4 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Why would you not want to pay at the pump for convenience??? I suppose some may still allow inside payment to draw you in to spend more on junk food and other crap you don’t really need.

Some people pay cash, set amount.

Bill machines at pump you say??? Just imagine if the pump started on fire.  There goes all the cash! 😆 

2 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I remember back in the early 1980's going down to one of the local gas stations to get the gas can filled for my grandfather's lawn mower, and all I had to say was to put it on his tab.  

Groceries like that when I was growing up.  The owner had a book.  Wrote the amount down.  No interest. 

5 hours ago, Wacka said:

I remember back in the 60s when we had station wagons, dad saying to the attendant, $3 or fill it up.

I remember my older sister got her first car (a yellow Fiat) and took us for a ride. We were going to run out of gas, but found a quarter under the seat which got us a gallon of gas and saved us. 

4 hours ago, Doc said:

Unless you don't have a CC, paying inside makes no sense when it allows you to do it right at the pump.  Even if you want to go checkout the convenience store (just pay with CC and go in).  Unless they give you a better rate for cash.

The places that advertise cheap gas prices in BIG numbers, then have small print that says “cash payment” irritate me! I’ll skip the 7 cents off and go somewhere else most of the time. 

Edited by Augie
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.