Offseason Priorities

GreggTX

3 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Levi is setting himself up to be paid. I read an Article on him from the Atheltic and he be basically views himself as one of the best off ball corners now...

His Agent even made an interesting quote that the Bills have been trying to upgrade Levi for two years…

I’ll be interested to see if he is back. 

I think the Bills could’ve replaced him with Dane. I believe Frazier/McDermott went with the experience. Wanted Dane to learn more watching. Levi is obviously betting on himself, but there’s probably not gonna be any better situation for him than here

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Another high end CB should probably be high up on the list. Anyone know how CB's fair coming back from ACL injuries? While ACL's are not the career enders they once were, of all the positions I would think CB's would be the ones affected the most from those type of injuries. 

The o-line has looked quite a bit better these last few weeks. With any luck they will continue to look  good in the playoffs and then maybe we don't have to spend nearly all our capital on revamping the o-line in the off-season.

I think adding a more talented young CB would have been in the plan regardless of White's injury. They are paying White close to the top of the CB market. And now Taron Johnson is making significant money. It makes sense to bring in another 1st round rookie to that can start by the end of year 1 to balance out the spending at that position. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Ignore those who say it is too early for this. Never too early for draft talk IMO. After all inside the building they have been thinking about it since the BLESTO meetings in May / June.

What would my priorities be for the draft?

1. Offensive Line - they have to get better up front. They just have to. Mitch Morse has been steady as a Bill but hasn't lived up to the big FA contract they gave him as, at that time, the best paid center in the league. Dion had a difficult start this year after the first bout with covid but it felt like the second bout of covid kinda drew a line under it and he has been really good in recent weeks. I've seen promise from Spencer Brown as a rookie, but make no mistake that is all he has been - promising as a rookie. Personally I am open to anything on the line. I only take guys I think can play left tackle in round unless I truly believe they are elite prospects at other spots... so if a top end tackle prospect falls to us in the 1st I'd take him and then figure out who plays best where afterwards. Otherwise I am definitely prioritising finding an interior lineman I think can start early in rounds 2 through 4. I also expect them to have some sort of swing at a guard in free agency.

2. Wide Receiver - I am the guy that dislikes old guys. It's the NFL folks. The best athletes win. If you have lots of 30+ guys on your offense you probably don't have the athletic advantage. Let Sanders walk, cut Beasley. Try and bring McKenzie back and then find an outside speed guy in the first two days of the draft. Put them into the mix with Isaiah, Stef, Gabe and you have some youth and a nice mix of skillsets. 

3. Interior Defensive Line - Ed Oliver has had an excellent season, especially the second half of it. Harrison Phillips has had a nice month. They have decisions to make on Harrison and Star (either re-sign Harrison and cut Star or let Harrison walk and retain Star) and then they have a decision on restricted free agent Justin Zimmer off an ACL. Butler is gone. They might need to fill two spots here to compliment Ed and whichever of their 1 techs they keep. 

4. Corner - Levi Wallace has been an unsung hero this season. Had his best year as a pro. Was doing so even before Tre got hurt but the way he has stepped up as the most experienced corner since Tre went down has been mighty impressive. He is a free agent. He didn't get many looks last year so the Bills got him back cheaply. Maybe the same happens again or maybe his play alerts other teams to him and he gets a payday the Bills can't match. Could Dane Jackson step right in as your #2? Sure. But given Tre will be working back from his ACL you'd want another viable option there too. Again, somewhere in the first 4 rounds of the draft they have to look at corner IMO. 

They are my "ideal world" first four picks of the draft..... my sleeper needs:

5. Safety - the Bills have two excellent safeties. It cannot be underestimated how important Hyde and Poyer have been to everything McDermott has done - schematically, culturally, leadership wise... they were the first to acquisitions of the McDermott era and they have been two absolute cornerstones. Jordan Poyer deserves his overdue recognition. Hyde, who had a slightly below par 2020 and I worried might be on the downslope, has had a nice bounce back year. But Hyde is 31 and Poyer will be by the time the 2022 season kicks off. They have both been exceptionally healthy over the 5 years too which is a credit to them. The Bills have Juan Johnson and Damar Hamlin as day 3 draft picks who play teams and provide depth (Johnson is a core STs guy) but they need to keep stacking there because one day soon a Bills team will lineup without those two guys on the backend. 

6. Tight End - maybe less a sleeper need - it's a big need. We have a legitimate top 10/15 tight end in Knox now, but we have zero depth behind him. This is not a good tight end class but I feel like thought should be given to a late flier on a guy. You are not getting a well rounded guy late but either take a late guy who is more of a blocker or take a late guy who is essentially a big slot receiver at the tight end spot. 

7. Linebacker - again we have some young guys, but we are likely to move on from Klein for cap reasons which does weaken our depth behind Edmunds and Milano. 

Excellent write up Gunner.

I agree very much with the safeties. It's outstanding how healthy both have been and how the entire culture seemed to change for the better with the addition of both Poyer and Hyde. They have been a tremendous duo since they have arrived in Buffalo all the way back in 2017?? Probably at least a top 5 safety duo every season. But I am definitely worried about both starting to get up their in age. On the bright side, perhaps we don't need to use draft capital at either safety position if McDermott can once again find undervalued free agents to fit in his system.

I'm still not a full believer in Knox. I like him but don't love him. I wish we had a legitimate 6'6" guy at the position. But Knox has certainly had a career year and if he can follow 2021 up with another career year in 2022 then he would be knocking on the doorsteps of a top 5 TE in the league. 

For WR, I definitely agree. I don't see either of Sanders or Beasley coming back. Last draft I really wanted us to look at one of the young guys in the second round. Possibly a Rondale Moore or Elijah Moore. I think we target a speed guy in the 2nd round of the draft this year. Or maybe target a Hunter Renfrow type clone to replace Beasley. Renfrow is a UFA after next season too. He'll get a lot of attention and a pretty large contract I am guessing though. Likely from the Raiders.

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Ignore those who say it is too early for this. Never too early for draft talk IMO. After all inside the building they have been thinking about it since the BLESTO meetings in May / June.

What would my priorities be for the draft?

1. Offensive Line - they have to get better up front. They just have to. Mitch Morse has been steady as a Bill but hasn't lived up to the big FA contract they gave him as, at that time, the best paid center in the league. Dion had a difficult start this year after the first bout with covid but it felt like the second bout of covid kinda drew a line under it and he has been really good in recent weeks. I've seen promise from Spencer Brown as a rookie, but make no mistake that is all he has been - promising as a rookie. Personally I am open to anything on the line. I only take guys I think can play left tackle in round unless I truly believe they are elite prospects at other spots... so if a top end tackle prospect falls to us in the 1st I'd take him and then figure out who plays best where afterwards. Otherwise I am definitely prioritising finding an interior lineman I think can start early in rounds 2 through 4. I also expect them to have some sort of swing at a guard in free agency.

2. Wide Receiver - I am the guy that dislikes old guys. It's the NFL folks. The best athletes win. If you have lots of 30+ guys on your offense you probably don't have the athletic advantage. Let Sanders walk, cut Beasley. Try and bring McKenzie back and then find an outside speed guy in the first two days of the draft. Put them into the mix with Isaiah, Stef, Gabe and you have some youth and a nice mix of skillsets. 

3. Interior Defensive Line - Ed Oliver has had an excellent season, especially the second half of it. Harrison Phillips has had a nice month. They have decisions to make on Harrison and Star (either re-sign Harrison and cut Star or let Harrison walk and retain Star) and then they have a decision on restricted free agent Justin Zimmer off an ACL. Butler is gone. They might need to fill two spots here to compliment Ed and whichever of their 1 techs they keep. 

4. Corner - Levi Wallace has been an unsung hero this season. Had his best year as a pro. Was doing so even before Tre got hurt but the way he has stepped up as the most experienced corner since Tre went down has been mighty impressive. He is a free agent. He didn't get many looks last year so the Bills got him back cheaply. Maybe the same happens again or maybe his play alerts other teams to him and he gets a payday the Bills can't match. Could Dane Jackson step right in as your #2? Sure. But given Tre will be working back from his ACL you'd want another viable option there too. Again, somewhere in the first 4 rounds of the draft they have to look at corner IMO. 

They are my "ideal world" first four picks of the draft..... my sleeper needs:

5. Safety - the Bills have two excellent safeties. It cannot be underestimated how important Hyde and Poyer have been to everything McDermott has done - schematically, culturally, leadership wise... they were the first to acquisitions of the McDermott era and they have been two absolute cornerstones. Jordan Poyer deserves his overdue recognition. Hyde, who had a slightly below par 2020 and I worried might be on the downslope, has had a nice bounce back year. But Hyde is 31 and Poyer will be by the time the 2022 season kicks off. They have both been exceptionally healthy over the 5 years too which is a credit to them. The Bills have Juan Johnson and Damar Hamlin as day 3 draft picks who play teams and provide depth (Johnson is a core STs guy) but they need to keep stacking there because one day soon a Bills team will lineup without those two guys on the backend. 

6. Tight End - maybe less a sleeper need - it's a big need. We have a legitimate top 10/15 tight end in Knox now, but we have zero depth behind him. This is not a good tight end class but I feel like thought should be given to a late flier on a guy. You are not getting a well rounded guy late but either take a late guy who is more of a blocker or take a late guy who is essentially a big slot receiver at the tight end spot. 

7. Linebacker - again we have some young guys, but we are likely to move on from Klein for cap reasons which does weaken our depth behind Edmunds and Milano. 

I am a big Hamlin fan I feel like we have depth at safety I think the Dane has shown that he’s got the goods at corner would definitely be willing to bring back Wallace though

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I will never understand people being gatekeepers about Bills topics, they don't feel like reading.... don't read it, doesn't mean those of us that like things can't have it.

I'm very excited about tmrw, but look at the board these last 2 days, not exactly a ton of new things to talk about. CFB ended this week, top order of the draft is set, players are declaring.

You think Beane isn't having these discussions? If it's not too early for our GM, it certainly isn't too early for willing and eager FANS.

That said... I disagree with most of OP 😆. Spencer has a bright future, and our interior OL needs work. Would rather see that addressed first.

RB. We need a burner. Singletary has been feisty/physical, our OL looks different then how they started the year.  Would love a dual threat RB to help stretch out Ds and give us more explosion.

TE-my homerun pickup here is Gesecki. Man he'd look sweet in Buffalo, and open up a dual TE set.

WR- this teams always gunna need talent at that position, and we're a bit long in the tooth.

IDL- buh bye Star. Harry's come on recent, but I'm not ignoring the position over him either. Jordan Davis would look awesome here. Imagine what Big Ed would look like with a horse like him next to him. Absolutely salivating at the thought.

Agree 100% with you here.  The OP's ideas are great if there wasn't a salary cap.  Considering they have limited money available, RT is likely one of the lower needs. Likely you put together a better interior line and Brown in addition with another year experience should be fine.

I'd let Mongo go, likely bring back Williams as to me his cap hit plus the replacement cost isn't worth letting him go, similar with Morse, but would need to re-do the contract to lower his salary.  Then sign a top FA guard, and draft a center/guard in the 2nd or 3rd to be the starter in 2023

To me another TE like a Gesecki is another luxury that's not needed.  The Bills strength is Allen, his arm, and the WR group.  Do think Beasley and Sanders are gone, maybe McKenzie takes his place or they sign a top slot receiver.  At that point would rather see Diggs, Davis and new slot guy on the field as much as possible with maybe McKenzie and Kumarow as backups.  So don't want to take one of them off the field to go with 2 TE's  very often.  Maybe draft or sign a mid level guy with good hands so occasionally if they go with 2 TE's, they have two guys out there who'll keep the defense honest, but keep your 3 WR's on the field as much as possible.  Overall would much rather see them use the money to sign a top slot guy than a TE

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/15/2022 at 10:36 PM, ScottLaw said:

You don’t have interior offensive line on your list and WR is way too low. It’s a higher priority than a lot of people seem to think.

My thought was that we could move someone inside, but you're right about the need for the IOL. I just wonder how much to expect in 1 offseason. WR is also a need. I can't say I disagree there either.

On 1/15/2022 at 7:09 AM, NewEra said:

Regarding this thread:

Football Falling Off GIF by Barstool Sports

not your best work Greg. 

I’m no GB,  but I watched a ton of him at OSU.  Seriously lacks any type of explosion. They should have him train with Vince McMahon this offseason, teach him now to block and make him a TE.  He was a huge matchup problem in college due to his size/length, but lacks separation skills for the nfl Level imo.  

I'll never understand people that must stop and insult anyone whose thread they aren't interested in. Allow me to enlighten you NewEra.

If you come across a thread that does not interest you for any reason, simply move on to the next thread. You know? Like a grown up.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Sadly, this is your best work though. Keep trying! You might just come up with an intelligent or interesting post some day. Perhaps someone could help you with that. I doubt you can handle it on your own. Good luck!

I’m sorry that my comment upset you so much where you would have to get personal.  I agree with many of your takes…..and I don’t agree with this one.  Hence my comment, it’s not your best work.    I don’t seem to be in the minority here.  I didn’t have time to explain why I felt it wasn’t your best take.  Now I do. 

I just don’t see how replacing Spencer Brown can be our #1 offseason priority.  I could see us drafting a tackle, but you’re talking about adding a pro bowl tackle for next season. It’s possible but I doubt we’ll be able to draft a rookie pro bowl tackle from our draft position….which means we’ll have to sign a FA pro bowl RT…..which costs big bucks.  Big bucks that, imo, would be better spent in other areas.  

Meanwhile, morses time here is likely coming to an end, this offseason or next.  Bates is a free agent and Williams likely only has 1 year left with us (imo).   All 3 of our IOL have question marks going forward.  Spencer Brown may still have question marks regarding his pass protection (I agree, he needs work) but the salary cap crunch is real.

I view IOL as the #1 priority followed by WR.   

If you happen to be correct and we replace Spencer brown @ RT this offseason, I’ll gladly eat crow.  We’ll just have to wait and see.

you state Levi wallace should be our cb3?  I don’t get that.  Taron is our CB3.  Levi can’t play the slot.  If you’re suggesting that Levi isn’t good enough to be our cb2, that’s just insane talk.  He’s worthy.  Our system doesn’t require superstar athletic freak corners.  We had the #1 rated defense with Levi as our #1 for half the season…..but he’s not worthy of being our cb2?  He should be our cb4 that rarely plays?  Come on man.  After last season, I agreed with your take about levi…..but then this season happened and I know have the utmost respect for Levi and hope that he’s our cb2 for the next couple years.  He’s better than you think he is. 

we NEED a power rb that can go toe to toe with Henry, Taylor and Mixon?  Really?  We NEED one?  No. Need is a strong word.  It’s a luxury.  We have a lower rb in 17.  Believe that. Motor is now a capable RB. Like Levi, he’s improved since last season and isn’t the rb that I was hoping to replace this past offseason.  Big ups to motor.  

DT: 👍🏻 absolutely spot on.  I’d put DT #2 behind IOL.  Resigning Phillips should be one of our top priorities but also adding another capable 1T (if star leaves) for delth as a Phillips has had issues staying healthy.  Ed is probably going to get paid 12-16M when it time for his extension.  Hopefully we can afford him.  Could be tough if we sign a pro bowl RT this offseason. 

TE depth 👍🏻 For sure.  Our lack of a TE2 is frustrating and was high on my offseason priorities this past offseason.  Sweeney has done nothing to show me he’s worthy. 

Sanders should be gone.  Beasley will likely be gone. Isaiah is a FA and I can see Daboll trying to acquire him if he gets a HC job.  Diggs and Davis are core players but beyond them, the cupboard may be bare.  WR should be much higher on our priority list imo.

Go bills. 

• Eyeroll 1

I personally enjoy these types of threads. Especially when you guys put prospect names with your thoughts. I am not a college football guy, but I am really into the draft. It helps me research players I wouldn't have thought about.

As to the priorities,  I still think CB is #1 this offseason. I love Levi as much as the next, but he is not a #1 cb. I wanted to extend him last offseason. Now with the uncertainty of Trey, we need a #1 or a 1b. I hate to say it, but, I think Levi is moving on. Dane will take #2 and we'll draft for a 1b. Then when Trey is ready, you have 1a,1b and Dane as 3.

I think Wr and TE2 are 2&3 (put them how you like)

With the way the oline has been playing as of late, I think they move to priority #4.

Of course, with  a disclaimer, my priorities could change over the next couple of games.😉

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.