Offseason Priorities

GreggTX

These would be my offseason priorities.

1. Big upgrade at RT: I admire the effort by Spencer Brown and he may well have a bright future, but we're in win now mode and he still needs a lot of polishing. 2 probowl OT's would make the whole offense run more smoothly. If, in the mean time, Brown becomes one of our top 5 OL, great. Those are the problems coaches like.  I'd have placed the DL as priority 1, but we've already invested in young talent there and Harry is starting to come around.

2. CB2:  I commend Dane Jackson for how well he's held up, but he should really be our CB4 with Wallace as CB3. We probably can't afford another CB at White's level of proficiency, but someone halfway between White and Wallace would really help. Besides, White may not be back in 2022 if he needs the full 14 months to recover.

3. Power RB: If we're not building a dome, we need a tank at RB that can go toe to toe with, Henry, Mixon, Taylor in sloppy, cold weather. Stats show that in treacherous footing, heavier, stronger backs run relatively better than lighter, shiftier backs. I've kinda given up on Moss. He can play, but he can't handle that kind of load and generate the results we need. This would also help when Josh is having a bad game. Let the run game take some of the weight and give Josh a chance to ease back into the game with more play action and easier completions. Keep Singletary as RB2.

4.TE Depth: Dawson Knox has made big strides, but he's still not elite. Getting another good TE would be nice, especially if he's a decent run blocker as well as a proficient receiver. Sweeny may not even be around very long.

5. NT: With Harry's ascent, this becomes less urgent, but Phillips still has a long way to go. Star was overpaid. Time to upgrade and move on. Harry's not a true NT. We also don't really know where his ceiling is. We still need a decent true NT for those pound n' ground slugfests in high winds and snow.

WR: Sanders and Beasley have been on a bit of a decline lately. Are Davis, McKenzie and Stevenson the answer or do we need more competition?

...And then there's Tremaine Edmunds and Jerry Hughes.

...Oh and get a darn Punter!

Edited by GreggTX
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 5
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I'll be honest, I didn't read your post.  But, regardless of what it says, why don't you save these takes for about another month or so......

Worry about the off-season when it gets here.  We still have 4 more games to win this season. 

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 8

24 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

1. Big upgrade at RT: I admire the effort by Spencer Brown and he may well have a bright future, but we're in win now mode and he still needs a lot of polishing. 2 probowl OT's would make the whole offense run more smoothly. If, in the mean time, Brown becomes one of our top 5 OL, great. Those are the problems coaches like.  I'd have placed the DL as priority 1, but we've already invested in young talent there and Harry is starting to come around.

2. CB2:  I commend Dane Jackson for how well he's held up, but he should really be our CB4 with Wallace as CB3. We probably can't afford another CB at White's level of proficiency, but someone halfway between White and Wallace would really help. Besides, White may not be back in 2022 if he needs the full 14 months to recover.

3. Power RB: If we're not building a dome, we need a tank at RB that can go toe to toe with, Henry, Mixon, Taylor in sloppy, cold weather. Stats show that in treacherous footing, heavier, stronger backs run relatively better than lighter, shiftier backs. I've kinda given up on Moss. He can play, but he can't handle that kind of load and generate the results we need. This would also help when Josh is having a bad game. Let the run game take some of the weight and give Josh a chance to ease back into the game with more play action and easier completions. Keep Singletary as RB2.

4.TE Depth: Dawson Knox has made big strides, but he's still not elite. Getting another good TE would be nice, especially if he's a decent run blocker as well as a proficient receiver. Sweeny may not even be around very long.

5. NT: With Harry's ascent, this becomes less urgent, but Phillips still has a long way to go. Star was overpaid. Time to upgrade and move on. Harry's not a true NT. We also don't really know where his ceiling is. We still need a decent true NT for those pound n' ground slugfests in high winds and snow.

WR: Sanders and Beasley have been on a bit of a decline lately. Are Davis, McKenzie and Stevenson the answer or do we need more competition?

Can we talk about this stuff after the parade.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

1 should be trade for McCaffrey.

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I think WR is a sneaky need, it’s more pressing than some may like to admit. I think an elite RB would also add some mustard to this offense as well. Another CB, maybe even two CBs at that. LB depth, a few quality NTs. Another TE to go with Knox.. And I’m kind of torn on the OL because although we may not have any elite talents there outside of Dion Dawkins, we still have great depth overall and we’re deep there.

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

I think WR is a sneaky need, it’s more pressing than some may like to admit. I think an elite RB would also add some mustard to this offense as well. Another CB, maybe even two CBs at that. LB depth, a few quality NTs. Another TE to go with Knox.. And I’m kind of torn on the OL because although we may not have any elite talents there outside of Dion Dawkins, we still have great depth overall and we’re deep there.

We should try everything we can to get Kupp here. After all he is the best WR in the league and I called it when he was drafted.

Edited by Sherlock Holmes
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

I will never understand people being gatekeepers about Bills topics, they don't feel like reading.... don't read it, doesn't mean those of us that like things can't have it.

I'm very excited about tmrw, but look at the board these last 2 days, not exactly a ton of new things to talk about. CFB ended this week, top order of the draft is set, players are declaring.

You think Beane isn't having these discussions? If it's not too early for our GM, it certainly isn't too early for willing and eager FANS.

That said... I disagree with most of OP 😆. Spencer has a bright future, and our interior OL needs work. Would rather see that addressed first.

RB. We need a burner. Singletary has been feisty/physical, our OL looks different then how they started the year.  Would love a dual threat RB to help stretch out Ds and give us more explosion.

TE-my homerun pickup here is Gesecki. Man he'd look sweet in Buffalo, and open up a dual TE set.

WR- this teams always gunna need talent at that position, and we're a bit long in the tooth.

IDL- buh bye Star. Harry's come on recent, but I'm not ignoring the position over him either. Jordan Davis would look awesome here. Imagine what Big Ed would look like with a horse like him next to him. Absolutely salivating at the thought.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GreggTX said:

So you’re saying all the Bills really need is just another pro bowl caliber tackle, a #2 cb that might need to be #1 depending on Tre (which essentially means another pro bowl cb if he needs to replace Tre), a running back that’s a strong and quick as Henry, Taylor, and Mixon, not to mention getting another starting caliber tight end and more wide receivers to challenge for the #2 spot…..oh and a punter 

sounds easy enough!

• Haha (+1) 1

Ignore those who say it is too early for this. Never too early for draft talk IMO. After all inside the building they have been thinking about it since the BLESTO meetings in May / June.

What would my priorities be for the draft?

1. Offensive Line - they have to get better up front. They just have to. Mitch Morse has been steady as a Bill but hasn't lived up to the big FA contract they gave him as, at that time, the best paid center in the league. Dion had a difficult start this year after the first bout with covid but it felt like the second bout of covid kinda drew a line under it and he has been really good in recent weeks. I've seen promise from Spencer Brown as a rookie, but make no mistake that is all he has been - promising as a rookie. Personally I am open to anything on the line. I only take guys I think can play left tackle in round unless I truly believe they are elite prospects at other spots... so if a top end tackle prospect falls to us in the 1st I'd take him and then figure out who plays best where afterwards. Otherwise I am definitely prioritising finding an interior lineman I think can start early in rounds 2 through 4. I also expect them to have some sort of swing at a guard in free agency.

2. Wide Receiver - I am the guy that dislikes old guys. It's the NFL folks. The best athletes win. If you have lots of 30+ guys on your offense you probably don't have the athletic advantage. Let Sanders walk, cut Beasley. Try and bring McKenzie back and then find an outside speed guy in the first two days of the draft. Put them into the mix with Isaiah, Stef, Gabe and you have some youth and a nice mix of skillsets. 

3. Interior Defensive Line - Ed Oliver has had an excellent season, especially the second half of it. Harrison Phillips has had a nice month. They have decisions to make on Harrison and Star (either re-sign Harrison and cut Star or let Harrison walk and retain Star) and then they have a decision on restricted free agent Justin Zimmer off an ACL. Butler is gone. They might need to fill two spots here to compliment Ed and whichever of their 1 techs they keep. 

4. Corner - Levi Wallace has been an unsung hero this season. Had his best year as a pro. Was doing so even before Tre got hurt but the way he has stepped up as the most experienced corner since Tre went down has been mighty impressive. He is a free agent. He didn't get many looks last year so the Bills got him back cheaply. Maybe the same happens again or maybe his play alerts other teams to him and he gets a payday the Bills can't match. Could Dane Jackson step right in as your #2? Sure. But given Tre will be working back from his ACL you'd want another viable option there too. Again, somewhere in the first 4 rounds of the draft they have to look at corner IMO. 

They are my "ideal world" first four picks of the draft..... my sleeper needs:

5. Safety - the Bills have two excellent safeties. It cannot be underestimated how important Hyde and Poyer have been to everything McDermott has done - schematically, culturally, leadership wise... they were the first to acquisitions of the McDermott era and they have been two absolute cornerstones. Jordan Poyer deserves his overdue recognition. Hyde, who had a slightly below par 2020 and I worried might be on the downslope, has had a nice bounce back year. But Hyde is 31 and Poyer will be by the time the 2022 season kicks off. They have both been exceptionally healthy over the 5 years too which is a credit to them. The Bills have Juan Johnson and Damar Hamlin as day 3 draft picks who play teams and provide depth (Johnson is a core STs guy) but they need to keep stacking there because one day soon a Bills team will lineup without those two guys on the backend. 

6. Tight End - maybe less a sleeper need - it's a big need. We have a legitimate top 10/15 tight end in Knox now, but we have zero depth behind him. This is not a good tight end class but I feel like thought should be given to a late flier on a guy. You are not getting a well rounded guy late but either take a late guy who is more of a blocker or take a late guy who is essentially a big slot receiver at the tight end spot. 

7. Linebacker - again we have some young guys, but we are likely to move on from Klein for cap reasons which does weaken our depth behind Edmunds and Milano. 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.