Coldest Games in Buffalo/Saturday #2?

Buffalo Boy

4 minutes ago, Jeffbigalls said:

Dress warm with the wind chill it will feel like sub zero,  a look a head shows R.F temps of -3, -4

That's how it goes. Taking hits in that weather is gonna be brutal, fingers gonna be frozen, hard passes will feel like a rock hitting you.

Tackling will be an  issue in the running game.

In this prediction video, they say "this is setting up to be one of the coldest NFL games on record in league history," not just for the post season or for Buffalo.

Good video anyway, but set link to start at the quote (01:24) -

Edited by BigDingus
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, T&C said:

We need a weather sub-forum here. 

And a build-a-dome sub-sub-sub-forum here.

47 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Like other forums, folks would ignore the sub-forum and continue to post their queries here

"No" to cotton.  "Cotton is rotten".    If you wish 2 layers of socks, both wool IMO.

Make sure your boots aren't tight with whatever quantities and qualities of socks you wear.  Loose boots that allow your feet to move are good.  Chemical toe and handwarmers work well.

Best thing is wadded silk if you can find it. 

Chinese make comforters filled with it and it is better than the best down.

• Haha (+1) 1

I am surprised that Dec 1, 1974 vs. Cots at Rich is not on the list. My first Bills game – a 6-0 win with sub-zero temperatures (I am pretty sure). I was 7, and my uncle taught me that, when it is cold, you are better off eating the peanuts with the shells on!

I am 54 now. Life long Bills fan.  I was at many of the games on the list. Great memories. Life long memories.

For those who don’t have tickets for Saturday – get them! Sure, it would be more pleasant watching the game in your living room – but have some Buffalo pride!  I will be there – telling any cheater fan coming down my aisle that it is shorter to get to their seat from the other side. Go Bills!!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1. Jan. 15th 1994 – vs. L.A. Raiders, 0 degrees, wind chill of minus-32

I was at this one, one of 2 AFC winning Championships- I attended! Pre game, yes Virginia- the Beer froze to slush in less than a minute! Being Canadian, we were well primed to wear multiple layers, foot warmers, down parkas, boots, etc. However, since I had a chat with death and frostbite of the feet, when I was a kid, I was VERY conscious of losing them. 

At Halftime, I found a heated alcove and stayed there the whole time. Spent the whole game stamping my feet to ensure circulation. Afterwards, we stayed at the Microtel, beside the former All American Sports Bar.

That was 25 years ago, when I was about 45. Those days are behind me.

BE VERY, VERY CAREFUL, if you're heading to OP!

• Awesome! (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Mattymafia said:

Any advice for surviving the cold at the game?

Honestly don't wear two pairs of socks. Well you can but wear a plastic bag between them. Sounds dumb but last game I wore two pairs and my toes were numb. Than I found out that if  your feet have no room they will be colder. 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

About midway thru the 3rd quarter he became unresponsive despite seeming to be alert and still watching the action.     At the end he got up and silently walked to the car and sat in the back seat just staring forward into space and not answering anyone.  

We later found out that this is something that happens to a lot of people before they freeze to death.

So keep an eye out for that folks.

I am surprised they didn't take him to the Emergency Medical tent to give him first aid.  That seems every strange and scary

1 hour ago, billsherd said:

Tackling will be an  issue in the running game.

This !     Coach B. will exploit this.   We have to be prepared.  When players take hits, it will be double painful. 

6 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I am surprised they didn't take him to the Emergency Medical tent to give him first aid.  That seems every strange and scary

This !     Coach B. will exploit this.   We have to be prepared.  When players take hits, it will be double painful. 

He seemed physically fine.   Then he got up and walked back normally to the vehicle.    It was just like he was ignoring everyone.    He was a cold zombie.   

• Like (+1) 1

Fun story about #2. 

I just started working in a small town in western Minnesota that in September 1992 and met a super-cool woman who got my sense of humor and humored me about about the Bills and Sabres. She wasn’t a sports fan—an artist—but she got my thing.  By 1993, we were dating pretty pretty seriously, and I visited her family for Thanksgiving. We were in the Mall of America in Minneapolis X-Mas shopping and got ourselves these full-length insulated Australian duster coats—it’s waaay colder out in the by Fargo than where her parents lived in southeastern Minnesota. 

Just as we walked out of the store, some dude offered us tickets to the Minnesota North Stars game that just started across the road. I talked her into it. We went—and she was in!

So, of course, I bought tickets for the Jets game for our day after the pressure-filled Christmas she had to spend with my family in Buffalo. And the insulated Australian dusters (and accessories) kept us happily comfortable.

After 26 years of marriage, we’ll watch together Saturday night.

POSTSCRIPT: They interviewed Steve Christie after the game about his field goal, and he said that it was “like kicking a brick. I knew Corey couldn’t do it from 42 before they snapped the ball.”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Slick ball, very difficult on the kicking game. Many of us remember the #1 coldest game and the very memorable play from Tasker. I will never know if The Raiders meant to squib it, but Tasker plucked a kickoff line drive and returned it inside the 3 yards line shifting momentum. We score, then missed the extra point. That didn't happen with Christie. It's going to be hard on kickoffs, extra points, and any field goals with length. I used to do some kicking in addition to more masculine roles, but it's incredible how different it is to kick a ball that's slightly deflated vs very inflated. You get way more distance on a partially deflated ball. When it's cold like this you just don't get any recoil with the football. It doesn't travel. It's also very hard to hold onto and catch. Concerned about our punting unit after last week. You also know damn well Bill knows the science I'm describing with football pressure and temps better than anybody. They will probably be blow torching balls on the sidelines prior to FG's.  

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 1

I was at the three coldest games.  #2 and #3 were damn cold, not much fun, but still bearable.  

But that Raiders game...damn that was cold and miserable.  Dad and I got to our seats and there was a full foot of ice on them.  We basically huddled together and never moved the entire time.  We both wanted to drink hot chocolate from our thermos but didn't dare take off our gloves so it just sat undrunk the entire game.  

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

At one of the two games the plumbing died in a large chunk of the stadium. Although I was hammered at the time I distinctly remember guys just pissing on the wall next to one of the ramps…. 50 guys at a time.

It's scenes like this that make bringing your little ones to the stadium such a memorable, special occasion! 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.