Coldest Games in Buffalo/Saturday #2?

Buffalo Boy

This would have been the better year for the "it might be chilly" video lol.

Stay warm out there guys.  Im too old for this anymore.  Keep moving even if its marching your legs in place.  Standing still is the worst thing you can do.  Keep your ears covered hands covered, scarfs, all that jazz. Don't be a cool hero.  Frostbite is bad.

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, DrW said:

Probably not. However, higher alcohol content should reduce the freezing point. Just ditch the light beer and opt for the real stuff.

So with higher alcohol content, the answer probably is yes, it stays liquid at lower temps.

1 hour ago, TBBills said:

KC isn't in Florida just FYI.

Keep your fingers crossed that Pittsburgh beats KC.  That would give the Bills another home game the following week since the two top remaining seeds would be the Titans and Bills.  Then we hope Pittsburgh beats the Titans, giving the Bills home field for the AFCCG.

I know, I know, one game at a time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Utah John said:

So with higher alcohol content, the answer probably is yes, it stays liquid at lower temps.

Well, actually, it’s not the alcohol that freezes in beer, it’s the water. So we were drinking some “ Beer Concentrate “ that day😜

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

"No" to cotton.  "Cotton is rotten".    If you wish 2 layers of socks, both wool IMO.

Make sure your boots aren't tight with whatever quantities and qualities of socks you wear.  Loose boots that allow your feet to move are good.  Chemical toe and handwarmers work well.

Amen to the bolded.  Cotton lacks the ability to 'wick' away the moisture that invariably will be generated. As an outer layer you may be OK with cotton, but keep silk, wools, and wicking synthetics (waffle weaves work well) as the base layers.  This includes socks.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Mattymafia said:

Any advice for surviving the cold at the game?

Wear at least two more layers than you think you need.  I live in South Dakota and I've attended local football games in weather like this.  If you are chilly walking around on your way to the stadium, you are going to get very cold when you're sitting still in the stands.  Fingers and toes need special attention.  My game plan would be something like this:

Torso: compression shirt, t-shirt, t-shirt, long-sleeve t-shirt, long-sleeve t-shirt, light pullover, fleece pullover, parka.  avoid cotton for base layers at least.

Legs: insulated running tights (or long underwear if you're not a runner), fleece-lined jeans

Feet: light running socks, another pair of heavier tube-style socks, insulated boots

Hands: light liner-style gloves, heavy insulated mittens (mittens are infinitely warmer than gloves)

Head: the warmest thing that covers your head, plus a gaiter or something for your face*

* Be advised that this will probably freeze by the end of the first quarter, so there's that.

19 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

From someone who works for the gas company and is out in -22 at 3:00am replacing regulators, meters and pipe fitting. It’s all about layers of thermal wear, I would go 3 layers of thermals with battery powered gloves and socks and u should be fine. Thermal face mask and a warm beanie as well.

Too bad the coldest/windiest stadium in the league doesn’t allow battery powered gloves.  

Probably splitting hairs here, I was at the game with my dad, Playoff vs. the Pats in 1963, Bills lost 26-8, the bleacher seats in the rockpile were formed by pressing a garbage can into the foot of snow that had fallen the week of the game, pro football reference says that was a 21 degree game, wind chill of 9, humidity of 77% wind 11 mph.  I think the thought of wood plank bleachers in the rockpile might move that into contention.  Last I knew 21 is colder than 22.

• Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Too bad the coldest/windiest stadium in the league doesn’t allow battery powered gloves.  

Unfortunately there is likely at least one idiot in the crowd, who fueled with pregame libations, would pull the batteries from his $150 heated gloves and fling those as shrapnel at either an opponent or a referee.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Utah John said:

I was at a Jets game when I was younger.  I think it was one of the coldest games if not the coldest but I was like teenager.  People had southern comfort in flasks and even that ***** was freezing lol.

It's funny,  the board acts like we've never experienced cold before.  The good news is that the winds will be light.  Don't listen to any forecast that mentions gusts.  The winds for Orchard Park in January will be calm.

On the flip side, it's just unfortunate that this is the best Bills club since the early 90's....and we have to deal not only with Belichek/NE, but the weather will likely impact the game too.  Just catching the ball and not fumbling will take serious concentration.

Yes...this was already talked about in the weather thread

4 minutes ago, zow2 said:

It's funny,  the board acts like we've never experienced cold before.  The good news is that the winds will be light.  Don't listen to any forecast that mentions gusts.  The winds for Orchard Park in January will be calm.

On the flip side, it's just unfortunate that this is the best Bills club since the early 90's....and we have to deal not only with Belichek/NE, but the weather will likely impact the game too.  Just catching the ball and not fumbling will take serious concentration.

We have but this type of cold is relatively rare here.

In the upper Midwest this is average temps or maybe even a little above average. Land is a poor insulator, the lake keeps us much warmer than surrounding areas inland.

Edited by Big Turk

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.