All-22 Grades for Bills/Jets (The Athletic)

HappyDays

As for Phillips not slacking off after getting paid, I have to think the Bills value his character highly -- he's been the team's NFL Man of the Year nominee two years in a row.  In other words this is probably not a problem.

Whoever said he's Kyle Williams v2, I'd say yes but Phillips probably has more basic talent.  Kyle worked his butt off to get as good as he was.  Phillips was starting from a higher level prior to his injury.  There's no telling how good he can be if he stays healthy.  

It's going to be a good headache to have, but still a headache, for McBeane to figure out how to pay Oliver, Phillips, White, Edmunds, Poyer, Hyde, Johnson, and Jackson.  And in a couple more years, the three recent defensive end draftees are going to get paid too.

https://theathletic.com/3067182/2022/01/12/the-bills-win-could-have-been-even-bigger-and-harrison-phillips-steals-the-show-all-22-film-review/?source=user_shared_article

According to his breakdown, the passing  inefficiency was likely due to Josh and the receivers not being on the same page.  Josh saw big plays to be had by Davis and Knox but they just read the routes differently.  Had they don’t this, there could have been some big plays.    

A few other interesting notes to watch for next week:

Harrison Phillips was excellent both as a run defense and pass rusher and scored an “A” grade.

Ed Oliver had a ridiculous pressure rate of 27% and even lined up at DE for 2 plays and had a sack on 1.  This could be a sign of what’s to come.

Daboll used Tommy Doyle as a 6th blocker to good success.  He’s been a mauler and the offense averaged 6.7 on plays when he essentially lined up at TE.  

So while they won by 17, it seems like the score could have even been more lopsided if it weren’t for the breakdowns in the passing game.  

Highest grades Bills:

1. Phillips (A)

2. Diggs (A-)

3. Hughes (A-)

4. Oliver (A-)

5. Allen (A-)

Lowest graded Bills:

27. Bates C+
28. Brown C+
29. Rosseau C+
30. Davis C+
31. Williams C+

Edited by JohnNord
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JohnNord said:

https://theathletic.com/3067182/2022/01/12/the-bills-win-could-have-been-even-bigger-and-harrison-phillips-steals-the-show-all-22-film-review/?source=user_shared_article

According to his breakdown, the passing  inefficiency was likely due to Josh and the receivers not being on the same page.  Josh saw big plays to be had by Davis and Knox but they ran a different route.  They just read the routes differently.  Had they don’t this, there could have been some big plays.    

A few other interesting notes to watch for next week:

Harrison Phillips was excellent both as a run defense and pass rusher and scored an “A” grade.

Ed Oliver had a ridiculous pressure rate of 27% and even lined up at DE for 2 plays and had a sack on 1.  This could be a sign of what’s to come.

Daboll used Tommy Doyle as a 6th blocker to good success.  He’s been a mauler and the offense averaged 6.7 on plays when he essentially lined up at TE.  

So while they won by 17, it seems like the score could have even been more lopsided if it weren’t for the breakdowns in the passing game.  

Highest grades Bills:

1. Phillips (A)

2. Diggs (A-)

3. Hughes (A-)

4. Oliver (A-)

5. Allen (A-)

Lowest graded Bills:

27. Bates C+
28. Brown C+
29. Rosseau C+
30. Davis C+
31. Williams C+

The score could’ve been even more lopsided if we weren’t throwing into gale force winds in the 2nd and 3rd quarter. 

The end

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, NewEra said:

The score could’ve been even more lopsided if we weren’t throwing into gale force winds in the 2nd and 3rd quarter. 

The end

Maybe on a couple throws but on the ones the he highlighted wind wasn’t a factor.  It was Josh throwing the ball in one spot on the receivers anticipating he’d be throwing it in another.  

No surprises on Oliver at DE; they've been sneaking him snaps there since at least back in October.

Any comments on Boogie Basham?

I only had one eye on most of the game but I got the sense he may have played his best football as a pro.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Simon said:

No surprises on Oliver at DE; they've been sneaking him snaps there since at least back in October.

I only had one eye on most of the game but I got the sense he may have played his best football as a pro.

I've quoted the ESPN article the other day in other threads about the best players of the year at any position where they gave Rousseau the nod as the best rookie edge/DE..........but they also noted that Basham finished second in pressure rate per snap among rookies(Rousseau ranked third).

PFF data of course so some will highly discount it.......but it's interesting at least and reflects that while Rousseau and Basham weren't overwhelming hits as rookies.........they seem to have scored extremely highly versus their peers,   including many players picked ahead of both of them.   

1 hour ago, Simon said:

I only had one eye on most of the game but I got the sense he may have played his best football as a pro

No comments on him but he graded him B+ and the 15th best player in the game. I believe that is the highest grade Joe has given him this season. He was in on 37% of defensive snaps.

Phillips has been playing really well. Hopefully he can keep it up, because he has had stretches of poor play in the past, and I don't know if we can put all of that on his injuries. If he has truly turned the corner, that is great.

Oliver has been tearing it up too. It would be amazing if we had our interior defensive line figured out.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, msw2112 said:

A lot of folks on this board were extremely impatient with Phillips while he recovered from his knee injury.  He's finally returning to the form he was staring to show pre-injury, plus he has more experience and more time in an NFL weight room since then.  Kudos to him and the team for sticking with the process.

His emergence has really helped offset the loss of our Goalie.  He’s hit his ceiling for how good I thought he could become.  Looks like I misjudged him.  The push we’ve been getting from our DTs has been the key to our defensive success imo.  Ed is starting to live up to his draft position. He’s always been good, but top 10 players are drafted to be top 5 at their position.  He may not be top 5 yet (imo, there are several possible HoF DTs atm), but he’s knocking on the door.  The ends are sporadically all making plays as well. It seems like we’re able to get at least one guy in the QBs face.    Rousseau, Addison, Hughes, Basham and a Obada have all had their moments and one of them seems to beat their man quite often.  

Frazier and McD have done a just an outstanding job with this defense this year.  I’ll be shocked if Frazier isn’t hired. I feel that his age is the only thing that could keep him in Buffalo.  If we lose him, I feel that our D will likely take a slight step back next year (even with Tres return).  I don’t see us investing too much money on D other than retaining Harrison and Levi.  They should be priorities as long as the numbers aren’t too big.  

of topic- if we make a run to the SB and our OL continues to play solid ball, I wonder what our plan will be.  It all starts with Morse, does he retire or return?  If he retires, do we want Mongo to replace him or cut him and draft/sign an upgrade?  Resign bates or draft/sign some one better?  Keep Williams/brown on the right?

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He only played 2 full games in 2019.........he was really showing out though.     Yeah they weren't the same front afterward.   

I stand corrected he got hurt in the third game of the season, for some reason I thought he got hurt in game 5. But in 2019 he was starting to come alive and then got hurt.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He didn't cash in on the pass rush party.

It's my opinion that he has been dealing with turf-toe or something that's hindering his power.........he hasn't been the same since that KC game......I suppose it could also be a rookie wall.......he only played one season in college and if the Bills advance deep in the playoffs he will have played basically twice as many games as he did in that one season at Miami when you factor in all the preseason/regular/postseason games.

He hasn't been nearly as impactful rushing the passer since that KC/Tenn period............but by the same token Groot tied for the NFL lead with 32 run stops on the year so he's been very productive.   

Think Groot may have somewhat hit the rookie wall squared.  Not only is the NFL a longer season, but he also didn't even play last season.  So could argue he's well rested, but not playing for two years, could be worn out and not playing last season amplifies it.

Is encouraging to see him playing better against the run than pass as more often it's the opposite for rookies, they are better at the pass rush than run stopping.  Was true even of Bruce Smith. 

Chicks love the long ball..... and sacks

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Does the Athletic not grade punters ? 

Haack deserved a straight F and didn't even make their bottom 5.

Even if you want to curve his grade based on the conditions he still deserved a bottom 5 grade. 

Special teams players aren't graded.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Rico said:

Phillips has been a total revelation. I can't remember the last time someone turned from a career JAG to an impact player overnight... a true Cinderella man.

He's been plagued with injuries throughout his career, every time it appeared he was beginning to get a hang of things he'd get hit with an injury.

Phillips for Stanford was not just good at run stuffing but he had lots of sacks as well and if he can remain healthy, I think what you've seen from him this last half of the season is not a fluke but rather the beginning of his ascension.

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I've quoted the ESPN article the other day in other threads about the best players of the year at any position where they gave Rousseau the nod as the best rookie edge/DE..........but they also noted that Basham finished second in pressure rate per snap among rookies(Rousseau ranked third).

PFF data of course so some will highly discount it.......but it's interesting at least and reflects that while Rousseau and Basham weren't overwhelming hits as rookies.........they seem to have scored extremely highly versus their peers,   including many players picked ahead of both of them.   

I have to believe the pure statistics from PFF.  Basham has put up some really good numbers in just 200 snaps.

FWIW he stat line of sacks, tackles, pressures, TFL is the same as Jerry Hughes' while Jerry has had over 550 snaps.

I find it promising.

I think the better the DT's play the more sacks the DE will get.  If there is a lot of penetration up the middle the guys coming around the edge will hit home way more often than if everyone in the middle is stood up and the QB can just step up.  If Phillips takes over where Kyle left off it will mean good things for the ends.

3 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Does the Athletic not grade punters ? 

Haack deserved a straight F and didn't even make their bottom 5.

Even if you want to curve his grade based on the conditions he still deserved a bottom 5 grade. 

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Special teams players aren't graded.

In addition, you have to have played a minimum of 15 snaps

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.