Jim Kubiak on Jets game

Hapless Bills Fan

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/jim-kubiak-how-naked-bootleg-play-action-passes-got-allen-bills-offense-back-on-track/article_04dccb1c-7277-11ec-a448-2b3fd47e880f.html

TBN, paywall.  I'll say again that at the special intro price, this is IMO great value.  Excerpts:

Overall summary:

The Bills dominated in every statistical category as they possessed the football for 37 minutes and ran 79 plays. The Jets held the ball for just 23 minutes and ran 46 plays. The Jets had just 53 yards of total offense in comparison to 424 yards for the Bills. Two specific statistics told the story: Allen’s five rushes for 63 yards and Buffalo's nine total sacks. 

Allen’s leadership, his ability to protect the football and his legs did the most damage to the Jets, who, despite the lopsided statistics, played well and kept the score close for most of the game.

I think that's an important point that isn't sufficiently emphasized.  Salah was to some extent conducting a coaching job interview.  This is a division game.  Has he got what it takes to help the Jets contend within the division?  The Jets weren't lying down or heading for the bus, they were coached well and playing hard.

Kubiak gives Josh just props for his play in the first 2 quarters.  But he has this to say about the 3rd Q:

The Bills’ blunderous third quarter was filled with offensive inefficiencies that appeared to be miscommunications between Allen and his receivers. Allen missed throws on third-and-10, third-and-13, third-and-4, and third-and-14. These mostly third-and-long plays have a lower percentage of conversion, but they were opportunities that Buffalo's offense couldn’t connect on. The inability to move the ball in the third quarter resulted in four stalled offensive drives, no points and a muffed punt, which allowed the Jets to capitalize with great field position and a field goal. This shrunk the Bills' lead to 13-10.

Wondering if anyone here can comment on the possible "miscommunications", and what these plays looked like?

• Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/jim-kubiak-how-naked-bootleg-play-action-passes-got-allen-bills-offense-back-on-track/article_04dccb1c-7277-11ec-a448-2b3fd47e880f.html

TBN, paywall.  I'll say again that at the special intro price, this is IMO great value.  Excerpts:

Overall summary:

I think that's an important point that isn't sufficiently emphasized.  Salah was to some extent conducting a coaching job interview.  This is a division game.  Has he got what it takes to help the Jets contend within the division?  The Jets weren't lying down or heading for the bus, they were coached well and playing hard.

Kubiak gives Josh just props for his play in the first 2 quarters.  But he has this to say about the 3rd Q:

Wondering if anyone here can comment on the possible "miscommunications", and what these plays looked like?

He’s talking about the option routes.  One in particular to Knox, Allen threw it inside and Knox ran outside - inside/middle of the field seemed wide open because of a blitz.  I think Allen read it right and if Knox had turned the right way it might’ve been a monster play.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He’s talking about the option routes.  One in particular to Knox, Allen threw it inside and Knox ran outside - inside/middle of the field seemed wide open because of a blitz.  I think Allen read it right and if Knox had turned the right way it might’ve been a monster play.

Yep. Another was the one where he passed low and inside to Gabe Davis up the right sideline, but Davis was looking high and outside. 

I think there may have been one to Beasley, too, but I can't recall the specific down/distance/time of game on that one.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

This. I think it happened 3 times in the game, receiver reads the coverage one way on the option route, Josh reads it the other & the pass looks like it missed by 15 feet. I know at least one was to Diggs. It happened 2x in the Falcons game too. A couple of Josh's INTs this year are a direct result of this happening.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, 947 said:

This. I think it happened 3 times in the game, receiver reads the coverage one way on the option route, Josh reads it the other & the pass looks like it missed by 15 feet. I know at least one was to Diggs. It happened 2x in the Falcons game too. A couple of Josh's INTs this year are a direct result of this happening.

The question asked was - Who was at Fault ?  Was it Josh or the WRs ?

36 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Ahhhh….The weekly Jim Kubiak recap.

The 3rd down conversions were bad but given then distance, first and second down were problems as well.  All in all, that 3rd quarter was just plain ugly.  Allen played terrible 

The question was for insight here on why Kubiak seems to feel there was miscommunication involved on the incompletions.

"Allen played terrible" is just a knee-jerk useless broad statement, I'm sure you can find other threads for that level of contribution.

29 minutes ago, 947 said:

So then the question is, why does it keep happening and what can be done to fix it?

• Like (+1) 5

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

"Allen played terrible" is just a knee-jerk useless broad statement, I'm sure you can find other threads for that level of contribution.

So then the question is, why does it keep happening and what can be done to fix it?

In a word, Dome.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Dislike 3

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So my guess is Josh is going a split set faster then his WR's in the decision made instead of waiting a touch more to make sure they cut a certain direction. My personnel feeling is the increase in pass rush he has felt this year has made him less patient compared to last year where it felt like he never missed. He has still been superb as a whole this year, but there are more mistakes.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Yep. Another was the one where he passed low and inside to Gabe Davis up the right sideline, but Davis was looking high and outside. 

I think there may have been one to Beasley, too, but I can't recall the specific down/distance/time of game on that one.

Yes, I remember one to Beasley as well. So, in total I think there were 2 to Davis, 1 to Beasley, and 1 to Knox that were all miscommunications. And most of them came on 3rd down, although I think the one to Beasley was on 2nd down.

38 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think it has been a theme this season, just in that game. It could also be that Saleh had some good defensive looks that made the option routes harder to define for the pass catcher and QB.

52 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Ahhhh….The weekly Jim Kubiak recap.

The 3rd down conversions were bad but given then distance, first and second down were problems as well.  All in all, that 3rd quarter was just plain ugly.  Allen played terrible 

Let me guess - Kubiak gave him a 89.93 score for that quarter. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

yards per pass on Twitter has a good breakdown of the three plays. Looks like it was the receiver’s fault all three times. Just bizarre that it would happen on 3 consecutive plays. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, corta765 said:

So my guess is Josh is going a split set faster then his WR's in the decision made instead of waiting a touch more to make sure they cut a certain direction. My personnel feeling is the increase in pass rush he has felt this year has made him less patient compared to last year where it felt like he never missed. He has still been superb as a whole this year, but there are more mistakes.

I hadn't thought about that. 

40 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Let me guess - Kubiak gave him a 89.93 score for that quarter. 

Wrong

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I hadn't thought about that. 

That is just my guess, but in general this season Josh at points hasn't trusted the line enough and the line has given ample reason as to why not to so I think he has been slightly faster with the trigger. I would also add the coverages have been more elaborate to try and slow the Bills as opposed to last years which he seemingly picked apart.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Here is the one to Knox. I think Allen was correct, Dawson should have broken down the seam.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

yards per pass on Twitter has a good breakdown of the three plays. Looks like it was the receiver’s fault all three times. Just bizarre that it would happen on 3 consecutive plays. 

Fun YPP thing

His prediction of Allen's season:

Actual:

409 of 646 for 63.3% completion

4407 yds

36 TD

15 INT

26 sack for 164 yds

6.9 AY/A

122 rushes for 763 yds 6 TDs

Basically, right on the % of completions but larger # of attempts giving lower completion %

Actually had about 100 more total yards (more rush yards, fewer pass yards)

42 total TD vs predicted 44 total TD so 2 fewer TD

By the way, can you help me find said breakdown of those three plays by YPP on Twitter?  I had a good 'ol try and could not find.

Edit: one to Knox above, need 2 more

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Fun YPP thing

His prediction of Allen's season:

Actual:

409 of 646 for 63.3% completion

4407 yds

36 TD

15 INT

26 sack for 164 yds

6.9 AY/A

122 rushes for 763 yds 6 TDs

Basically, right on the % of completions but larger # of attempts giving lower completion %

Actually had about 100 more total yards (more rush yards, fewer pass yards)

42 total TD vs predicted 44 total TD so 2 fewer TD

By the way, can you help me find said breakdown of those three plays by YPP on Twitter?  I had a good 'ol try and could not find.

Edit: one to Knox above, need 2 more

Go to his page and click "media" to see all of his gif's.

Here is the one to Davis. Josh thinks its a go, Davis stops.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.