2022 Backup QB

BillsfaninSB

45 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

I'm not convinced Trubisky is out of here after one year.

I'd think the only reason for Trubisky to leave is for a chance at a starting job and better money.

Probably not getting much better money without the starting position. 

So, how many NFL teams would consider Trubisky an upgrade from current QB and have a starting job available? Maybe 4 or 5?  If that. I don't know.

Of those few teams needing a starting QB, at least a couple of them will probably take a QB in round 1 of the draft.

And Trubisky would have to decide if an offer is truly a better situation. Good organization with chance to be in playoffs? Good coaching staff? Or are they at the beginning of a rebuild or a team in constant chaos? If there are limited options that don't have great appeal, Trubisky may decide Buffalo is still his best bet.

Just sort of spit-balling here and thinking about the worst QB rooms in the league right now/this offseason:

• Cleveland - Highly doubtful
  • Pittsburgh - Won't rule it out, but my guess would be that they'll pursue an established starter
  • Houston - Probably just roll with Davis Mills next year
  • Denver - Same deal as Pittsburgh
  • Giants - Don't really see the point in moving on from Jones to Trubisky
  • Washington - More possible now after Heinicke's late season collapse. Would be sad but not entirely surprising for them if their inaugural season with a new brand is anchored by Trubisky as their starting QB.
  • Carolina - No clue what they might do after they tried to make win-now moves this year and completely collapsed
  • New Orleans - Would make at least some sense

All in all, there's maybe 5 situations that at least kinda make sense and a couple of them may just go for a rookie instead. He might be able to go somewhere and keep the seat warm for a rookie like Tyrod has done the last few years, but not sure if he'd rather go for that vs. sitting behind Allen with a good situation if anything goes wrong for Allen.

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Just sort of spit-balling here and thinking about the worst QB rooms in the league right now/this offseason:

• Pittsburgh - Won't rule it out, but my guess would be that they'll pursue an established starter
  • Washington - More possible now after Heinicke's late season collapse. Would be sad but not entirely surprising for them if their inaugural season with a new brand is anchored by Trubisky as their starting QB.
  • Carolina - No clue what they might do after they tried to make win-now moves this year and completely collapsed

All in all, there's maybe 5 situations that at least kinda make sense and a couple of them may just go for a rookie instead. He might be able to go somewhere and keep the seat warm for a rookie like Tyrod has done the last few years, but not sure if he'd rather go for that vs. sitting behind Allen with a good situation if anything goes wrong for Allen.

Good list, though I could probably eliminate 2 or 3.

Pittsburgh may be the most attractive team for Trubisky if they show interest. They'll have QB vacancy and cap room, and with only a mid to late 1st round draft pick in a weak QB draft, will probably not look to the draft for an immediate starter. Historically solid organization with winning coach and good fan base.

Another factor is DeShaun Watson.  How does he figure into it? - assuming legal issues and contract disputes don't keep him off the field. Does he end up in Miami, throwing Tua onto the QB carousel. 

Depending on how everything plays out, my guess is there's a 50/50 chance Trubisky could sign another 1 year deal with the Bills.

15 hours ago, ganesh said:

The guys with aspiration to start in the league will never come here.  It would have to be those guys who would like to collect a 5M paycheck for carrying the clipboard and doing mop up duty.   We are going to be in a pickle to get a decent QB.  May be Casey Keenum.

Mitch wants to start in the league and he did come here, so your premise is incorrect.  

Minshew available?  

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

I would not be surprised if it ended up being Kyle Allen. He is not being tendered by Washington and he and Josh have developed a good relationship. Maybe ends up in the Davis Webb role.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/10/report-commanders-are-not-tendering-kyle-allen/

Yes to Kyle Allen as backup.

Then bring in a camp arm UDFA Cole Kelley from SE Louisiana.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I’m a Gardner fan. Great backup and would be a fan favorite in Buffalo.

His demeanor to date suggests that he's NOT actually a great backup, if we expect a backup to be focused on helping the ACTUAL starters prepare to play each week. He might be an intriguing short-term replacement player, for the same reasons he might not be an ideal backup guy in the QB room (ego, desire to start, public statements to that effect, etc.). 

Allen & Allen LLP

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Richard Noggin said:

His demeanor to date suggests that he's NOT actually a great backup, if we expect a backup to be focused on helping the ACTUAL starters prepare to play each week. He might be an intriguing short-term replacement player, for the same reasons he might not be an ideal backup guy in the QB room (ego, desire to start, public statements to that effect, etc.). 

OK. That is all true. I’m probably biased because I think the guy is hilarious and his whole shtick with being a redneck is pretty funny. The mullet and moustache two years ago was a thing of beauty

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I’m a Gardner fan. Great backup and would be a fan favorite in Buffalo.

I find Minshew to be annoying. He is a legend in his own mind but make no

mistake, Jacksonville wanted the number one pick and determined Gardner was their best chance to get it. We wouldn’t win a game with him at QB

On 1/12/2022 at 9:21 AM, DCOrange said:

DC…not too bad. I think it’s safe to say that your Denver prediction was spot on! Do you want to update your predictions?

• Like (+1) 2

I got to see Colt McCoy play this year, and he was solid when he stepped in. Of those QB’s discussed, I think he would be the best option from a “need to be able to win a few games” for the Bills. A high draft pick who has hung around as a backup.

I don’t get the impression he and Kyler Murray are BFF’s , so there might be an opening to get him.

no shade on Fitz, I just don’t think he physically could hold up for a few games - but I do think as a coach/player he would be great in the room.

Edited by Desert Bills Fan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.