2022 Backup QB

BillsfaninSB

No offense to the OP but we have a playoff run to worry about, odd time for this topic. Nobody knows if Mitch will stay, he very well might.  Frankly, who cares?! We just locked up Josh freaking Allen for 8 more years! who cares who holds the clipboard.  IF JA get hurt, it won't matter much who backs up because even if they are great we still aren't winning the Super Bowl without JA.

The list of free agent QBs is pretty dismal:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/quarterback/

I don't think there is a starter-worthy QB on the list. 

I don't envision the Bills spending more than $3 million on a backup QB. That probably rules out Nick Foles. Trubisky and maybe Mariota are possibilities. 

Not sure there is going to be much of a market for Trubisky. There wasn't last year and it's not like there's a body of work that will change GMs' minds. 

Case Keenum would be interesting but he's under contract 1 more year and he's getting $5.5 million salary plus $1 million roster bonus. 

38 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

No offense to the OP but we have a playoff run to worry about, odd time for this topic. Nobody knows if Mitch will stay, he very well might.  Frankly, who cares?! We just locked up Josh freaking Allen for 8 more years! who cares who holds the clipboard.  IF JA get hurt, it won't matter much who backs up because even if they are great we still aren't winning the Super Bowl without JA.

Odd time?!  There are a million posts about Daboll going to this team or that team and if he is taking Mitch with him.  There is another thread about him going to the Colts.   Probably others too that I’m forgetting about. 

2 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Fromm is looking good…just kidding

he would be mad to stay… someone will take a chance on him… he can always come back if that doesn’t work out…

He also has first hand experience being in a lockerroom that was not even trying to develop him and with the bills he sees the difference and if he can find a spot with that and they offer to sign him great, but if he only gets offers from unsettled coaching staffs he may feel it's better to keep developing while earning a fair buck and not taking the punishment of a starting QB. You can earn a good living via longevity as well as if you get to be the starter.  I have no idea where Trubisky's priorities lean I think signing with Buffalo indicates he felt he needed to learn some things and he may be happy to keep learning a year or two more.  It's not like he was complete garbage in Chicago.

11 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Fromm is looking good…just kidding

he would be mad to stay… someone will take a chance on him… he can always come back if that doesn’t work out…

Fromm likely will be available as the Giants will be doing a big roster revamp under new GM and coach .   I’m sure Peterman will be available as well as the Chucky regime is replaced this off-season .  Could be a great home coming for TBD hyped QBs

The people crapping on the Colt McCoy idea seem to have no idea how bad most backup QBs are. He's probably one of the better backups in the league. I would personally prefer to cheap out on the backup QB with a rookie, but if we have to sign a vet (and can't just bring Trubisky back), I'd probably be targeting Mariota, McCoy, or hope that the market craters on someone like Jameis or Bridgewater.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Odd time?!  There are a million posts about Daboll going to this team or that team and if he is taking Mitch with him.  There is another thread about him going to the Colts.   Probably others too that I’m forgetting about. 

Mitch is one a one year deal.  If he goes who cares? He's not a threat to the Bills anywhere. Our backup qb for 2022 won't matter, and if it does we won't win the SB. The Daboll threads are relevant to this week's playoff game (could even be a distraction for him this week game prep) and is current news, Mitch or whoever the backup qb is for 2022 won't affect anything and is nothing but unimportant speculation.  Now, not saying it wouldn't be a fun topic for this offseason, but at this critical time approaching wildcard weekend just think it's an odd focus.

Edited by vtnatefootball11

I'm not convinced Trubisky is out of here after one year.

I'd think the only reason for Trubisky to leave is for a chance at a starting job and better money.

Probably not getting much better money without the starting position. 

So, how many NFL teams would consider Trubisky an upgrade from current QB and have a starting job available? Maybe 4 or 5?  If that. I don't know.

Of those few teams needing a starting QB, at least a couple of them will probably take a QB in round 1 of the draft.

And Trubisky would have to decide if an offer is truly a better situation. Good organization with chance to be in playoffs? Good coaching staff? Or are they at the beginning of a rebuild or a team in constant chaos? If there are limited options that don't have great appeal, Trubisky may decide Buffalo is still his best bet.

56 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Mitch is one a one year deal.  If he goes who cares? He's not a threat to the Bills anywhere. Our backup qb for 2022 won't matter, and if it does we won't win the SB. The Daboll threads are relevant to this week's playoff game (could even be a distraction for him this week game prep) and is current news, Mitch or whoever the backup qb is for 2022 won't affect anything and is nothing but unimportant speculation.  Now, not saying it wouldn't be a fun topic for this offseason, but at this critical time approaching wildcard weekend just think it's an odd focus.

The argument re: spending money to ensure you have a good backup isn't so you can win a Super Bowl with that backup leading the way. It's to keep us a float if Allen misses a few games so that it hopefully wouldn't sink our playoff hopes. Having said that, I think we're pretty much at the point where we have to start cutting costs somewhere and I'd rather do it at backup QB than a lot of other starting positions.

13 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick. If he wants to continue his career, it makes too much sense. No one will be giving him a chance to start at his age and coming off that injury, and he's said that Buffalo is his favorite place. Seems like a perfect fit.

No thank you - that all but guarantees an injury for JA

• Vomit 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.