John Fina- on the Joe Miller Buffalo Rumblings podcast

NewEra

I enjoy listening to the voice, Joe Miller and John Fina has been a pleasant addition to his show.  Great insight and a fun personality.  

At around the 40 minute mark he breaks down motors longest run vs the jets.  I found it interesting that we move Spencer brown outside of Dion on the left side and insert ODoylerulez at RT.  I love the heavy sets we’ve been running, I just find it strange that they move things around so much.  They like their OL to be versatile. 

But here’s my gripe…….Fina identifies ODoylerulez as Sweeney.  Over and over.  Cmon dude.  You don’t even know that Sweeney is the captain of the inactives every week? Did #72 look like a TE?  Dude is 6’9 320ish.  And you thought he was Sweeney?  Anyway….. carry on. It was a very nice block by Gilliam.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

At around the 40 minute mark he breaks down motors longest run vs the jets.  I found it interesting that we move Spencer brown outside of Dion on the left side and insert ODoylerulez at RT.  I love the heavy sets we’ve been running, I just find it strange that they move things around so much.  They like their OL to be versatile. 

Man if that's what we've been doing you have to think they know we're running when we do it, just doesn't matter.

Fina's mistake aside, I enjoy this podcast every week now.  Someone mentioned it a few weeks ago and I'm glad they did.  I never knew it existed.

I can listen to ex-pro football players like Fina talk about the REAL details of how to play football all day long.

Eric Wood is similar with his weekly segment with Schopp and Bulldog on Mondays, I think usually at 4pm.

Both Fina and Wood are intelligent and well spoken and getting into the nitty gritty of how to be an offensive lineman is really interesting.

I wish there were more out there with different players at different positions speaking this long, this clearly and with this much detail.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I enjoy listening to the voice, Joe Miller and John Fina has been a pleasant addition to his show.  Great insight and a fun personality.  

But here’s my gripe…….Fina identifies ODoylerulez as Sweeney.  Over and over.  Cmon dude.  You don’t even know that Sweeney is the captain of the inactives every week? Did #72 look like a TE?  Dude is 6’9 320ish.  And you thought he was Sweeney?  Anyway….. carry on. It was a very nice block by Gilliam.

I think Fine get well lubricated before the show. 

20 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

I think Fine get well lubricated before the show. 

He's usually drinking a beer or something like that while filming!  

Then again, it probably takes a 24 pack to get him buzzed.  He's still a big dude.

I had a good friend in college; 6'4" 295 pounds and in shape.  He used to drink AN ENTIRE CASE OF BEER at home on a Friday night before we all went out to bar hop around 11pm/midnight.

The case was just to "warm up."

😜

Edited by Nextmanup

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

He's usually drinking a beer or something like that while filming!  

Then again, it probably takes a 24 pack to get him buzzed.  He's still a big dude.

I had a good friend in college; 6'4" 295 pounds and in shape.  He used to drink AN ENTIRE CASE OF BEER at home on a Friday night before we all went out to bar hop around 11pm/midnight.

The case was just to "warm up."

😜

In college we would “case race.”  It was stupid. 

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

But here’s my gripe…….Fina identifies ODoylerulez as Sweeney.  Over and over.  Cmon dude.  You don’t even know that Sweeney is the captain of the inactives every week? Did #72 look like a TE?  Dude is 6’9 320ish.  And you thought he was Sweeney?  

So he confused Doyle with Sweeney.  You know what they say all those Irish look and sound alike.  Just sayin 😎

• Haha (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...

On the most recent podcast, talking about the Chiefs devastating loss, Fina made some really interesting comments.

He hit on a reoccurring theme of his, which is that our DL-men do not have a "first move" and they do NOT know what move they are going to try prior to the snap.

He points out that they sort of "wiggle" left/right/left/right at the snap of the ball, as if to make the OL guess at what they will do, and then they decide what to maybe try or not try.

He points out that this is your DREAM as an offensive lineman, b/c the delay the DLmen are providing makes all the difference in the world.

Further, Fina points out that as a DL man you should DEFINITELY have a move in your mind before the snap, and then you should execute it IMMEDIATELY at the snap---that's what makes the OLman's job difficult.

He pointed out that Bruce Smith ALWAYS had a move in mind, and would do it---and that he didn't care if it got stopped several times because eventually it would work.

Fina said he doesn't know if this is just a function of the guys themselves, or if FRAZIER is teaching this crap, or what...but that that it's terrible and needs to stop.

I found those comments really interesting.

If Fina were young and on our OL now, he'd immediately be the best guy on the field.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Did you know John Fina was the son of a doctor? 

For real?  I just discovered this podcast a month or so ago when it was mentioned here and now I don't miss it.

Fina is a sharp guy.  I think OLmen in general are the smartest guys on a football field.

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

For real?  I just discovered this podcast a month or so ago when it was mentioned here and now I don't miss it.

Fina is a sharp guy.  I think OLmen in general are the smartest guys on a football field.

He turned out being a good draft pick, but when he was drafted, he was so far off the radar the only thing the guys on ESPN had on him was that he was the son of a doctor.  

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

He turned out being a good draft pick, but when he was drafted, he was so far off the radar the only thing the guys on ESPN had on him was that he was the son of a doctor.  

He has a really big nose too.  They could have gone with that.

14 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

On the most recent podcast, talking about the Chiefs devastating loss, Fina made some really interesting comments.

He hit on a reoccurring theme of his, which is that our DL-men do not have a "first move" and they do NOT know what move they are going to try prior to the snap.

He points out that they sort of "wiggle" left/right/left/right at the snap of the ball, as if to make the OL guess at what they will do, and then they decide what to maybe try or not try.

He points out that this is your DREAM as an offensive lineman, b/c the delay the DLmen are providing makes all the difference in the world.

Further, Fina points out that as a DL man you should DEFINITELY have a move in your mind before the snap, and then you should execute it IMMEDIATELY at the snap---that's what makes the OLman's job difficult.

He pointed out that Bruce Smith ALWAYS had a move in mind, and would do it---and that he didn't care if it got stopped several times because eventually it would work.

Fina said he doesn't know if this is just a function of the guys themselves, or if FRAZIER is teaching this crap, or what...but that that it's terrible and needs to stop.

If Fina were young and on our OL now, he'd immediately be the best guy on the field.

That would seem like more of an issue with Eric Washington and Jacques Cesaire as the DL coach and the Asst DL Coach than it would be on Frazier.

Technique stuff is usually more the domain of the position coaches.

16 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I could swear that I read a story during training camp, where Bruce visited the camp and preached the exact some thing.

I'd be very surprised if our DL guys didn't have a "first move" ready for each play.  However, it would be inexcusable if true.

16 minutes ago, Jim Bob said:

That would seem like more of an issue with Eric Washington and Jacques Cesaire as the DL coach and the Asst DL Coach than it would be on Frazier.

Technique stuff is usually more the domain of the position coaches.

I would think so; I was just quoting what Fina said.  He literally said "I don't know if that's a Frazier thing or what."

13 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

I could swear that I read a story during training camp, where Bruce visited the camp and preached the exact some thing.

I'd be very surprised if our DL guys didn't have a "first move" ready for each play.  However, it would be inexcusable if true.

Fina has harped on this over the course of several podcasts, for what that's worth. 

He has also said that NO ONE on the DL has a "go-to" move they can bust out when they need to, with the exception of Ed Oliver.  Again, based on what he's seeing watching the games.  

Fina is watching line play with a hell of a lot more acumen than I am, so I'll take his word for it.

Of course, other experts might not see it the same way.

I would love to have 3 or 4 ex-linemen have a 30 minute podcast on this topic!

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Did you know John Fina was the son of a doctor? 

I met his family at a bills tailgate in Phoenix years ago. They were easy to spot a large group all sporting Finas'  #70.  Nice people.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.