Shaq Lawson possibly returning to Buffalo

FireChans

24 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I still think this seems out of character for this regime.

Lawson doesn't fill any needs and there are still questions about why he has bounced around so much in the last few years since leaving Buffalo.

And if this team ends up being one and done it's almost pointless to bringing him here for just less than a week.

why would they plan to be "one and done"? Like really?

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

You know, apart from the thing we primarily suck at going into the playoffs with quite a few teams that really like to do that thing including this week's opponent, yeah I guess you're correct.

Also, he's a defensive end, it's not really that complex a job. I'm quite sure he can line up at DE or DT on pass downs and remember what to do.

He brings something to the table that the other ends don't, he was super popular in the locker room, he is a guy to bring some juice when the team is flat, and he will be dirt, dirt cheap to sign through the end of the season. Oh and if he plays well and the Bills want to keep him they will likely have at least one vacancy at his position and he will be highly affordable once again.

What exactly is the problem here?

Agreed. This is the kind of thing really good teams do - find value in some guy out there for the taking. If you'd asked "is defensive end a position of need right now" everyone would've said no, it's way down the list. But getting just a little bit better, just a little bit deeper anywhere on the football field can make a difference - sometimes just enough of a difference to win a playoff game.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Nothing official. I dont think he even clears waivers until 4pm today(?).

Could be fake news, but dude is really putting what little rep he does have on the line.

We are signing Deacon Jones too

• Haha (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Here's the PFF take on him when he was traded to the Jets last offseason. Bottom line: nothing exciting, but a solid upgrade. (PFF numbers this year are the worst of his career, however):

Lawson a proven pass-rusher: Lawson has settled into being a consistent force as an edge rusher over the past few seasons, averaging 38.5 total pressures for two different teams within the AFC East since 2019.

Lawson no slouch in run defense, either: The best PFF grades of Lawson's career have come as a run defender, headlined by an 81.1 mark in 2018 for the Buffalo Bills.

Jets' pass-rush struggles are clear: No edge-rushing unit in the league has graded out worse than the Jets' (62.4) since 2017. New York also ranks 32nd league-wide in pressure rate from the edge (16.9%) over that same period. With Carl Lawson lost already due to injury, the Jets simply had to find a source of edge pressure.

They’d be buying him very low which I’m into…his play for the Texans and jets is impossible to evaluate on an individual level since the guys he was lining up next to were so bad 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If true I like this. Presumably it is a PS deal?

Yeah he's probably trying to see if someone else will give him more than a PS deal.........14 playoff teams.......might be a couple that will give him a real roster spot.

I was a little surprised that there weren't more veteran cuts in the last two weeks.    

Figured that would become more of a trend with non-playoff teams with veterans who aren't in their team's plans but also aren't pending UFA's who contribute to comp pick formula.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, What a Tuel said:

why would they plan to be "one and done"? Like really?

Obviously they are planning for a better scenario.

My point is that if this team is one and done (which I still think is a stronger possibility that some fans want to admit) than yes it's pointless to bring Lawson back to buffalo and not sure he would realistically be ready to play on Saturday after spending a few days with the team.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Dislike 1

5 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I still think this seems out of character for this regime.

Lawson doesn't fill any needs and there are still questions about why he has bounced around so much in the last few years since leaving Buffalo.

And if this team ends up being one and done it's almost pointless to bringing him here for just less than a week.

Sure he does. He is an exceptional run defender and edge setter.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Obviously they are planning for a better scenario.

My point is that if this team is one and done (which I still think is a stronger possibility that some fans want to admit) than yes it's pointless to bring Lawson back to buffalo and not sure he would realistically be ready to play on Saturday after spending a few days with the team.

Go get professional help 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.