My case for Trubisky to the Colts

Alphadawg7

Will Wentz be the week 1 Starter for the Colts in 2022?  

182 members have voted

1. 1. Will Wentz be the week 1 Starter for the Colts in 2022?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Chances you think Colts sign Trubisky to start or compete to start?

• For sure
    • Good Chance
    • Possibly, but not likely
    • None

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Given their investment in Wentz (3rd round pick in 2021 and 1st round pick in 2022) and $15M in dead cap if they cut him, they're stuck with him.  There is no answer in the draft, no franchise guy is coming to them and signing Trubisky is spinning their wheels.

Agree. That is why I could maybe see Jimmy G if he works free..... he is somewhere in between. A better option than Wentz or Trubisky but also another temporary solution until they do have first round draft picks again? I could maybe see that... but if he is the only one to hit the market (and Rodgers, Wilson, Watson for various reasons are not options) then I think they might be outbid for Jimmy too by someone like Denver. Maybe gamble their 2nd round pick on a guy in the draft and hope that by week 4 or 5 he can take over from Wentz? 

It is a really bad spot to be in.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Agree. That is why I could maybe see Jimmy G if he works free..... he is somewhere in between. A better option than Wentz or Trubisky but also another temporary solution until they do have first round draft picks again? I could maybe see that... but if he is the only one to hit the market (and Rodgers, Wilson, Watson for various reasons are not options) then I think they might be outbid for Jimmy too by someone like Denver. Maybe gamble their 2nd round pick on a guy in the draft and hope that by week 4 or 5 he can take over from Wentz? 

It is a really bad spot to be in.

Jimmy G will cost a draft pick (I think SF will look for what the Eagles got from the Colts) and will probably want a new deal.  I can't see that being an option they want to explore.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

But did you see where Reich declined to commit to Wentz the day after the loss?  I mean, if this is as strong and true as some suggest, he would have immediately squashed any possible speculation right then and there and gave Wentz a vote of confidence.  

That is telling to me, especially given Reichs history and bond with him.  Reich to me is too good of a coach to blindly hitch his horse to one wagon no matter what.  And its not only up to Reich either, the GM can still bring in competition regardless as well as they really have nothing behind Wentz anyway.

19 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I did. I just think when they sit down and look at their options it will be "Wentz or other failed former starters" and I very strongly believe Reich would be a better the devil he knows guy. Look at where he has gone post Luck - Rivers and Wentz. He likes guys he knows. Don't get me wrong if they could draft a stud QB or get a Russell Wilson (or even as I said above a Jimmy G) in a trade they'd do it. I don't see him moving off Wentz for someone of a similar profile. 

I find this to be fascinating- you hear Reich speak and really he does not give Wentz any kind of confidence boost, commitment, or even the sound like he will be back.  

What I wonder is what discussion has the GM and Owner and Reich had at that point.  I very much agree with @GunnerBill that I think Reich is very much a “guy I know and trust” kind of leader and I think he genuinely likes and respects Wentz.  I just wonder if the GM has basically said - I can not bring that guy back as the primary QB and expect to keep my job - so he gave Frank a heads up that he is looking to move on.

The entire press conference seemed out of character for Frank and he is such a build them up and positive affirmation kind of leader - it just seemed almost counter to normal function.  I am not sure what QB they can get to replace Wentz, but that loss of the 1st round pick hurts.  Another failed QB to try and resurrect- seems like a bad idea and they lack the ammo to make a legitimate trade for a stud.

They appear to me to be stuck in that middling purgatory where you trot out QB after QB trying to find a fit and you are good enough to win and sometimes make the playoffs and other times just miss out.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Doc said:

Jimmy G will cost a draft pick (I think SF will look for what the Eagles got from the Colts) and will probably want a new deal.  I can't see that being an option they want to explore.

I don't know if they will or they won't but that is the only guaranteed upgrade from Wentz I can see open to them. 

6 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

They appear to me to be stuck in that middling purgatory where you trot out QB after QB trying to find a fit and you are good enough to win and sometimes make the playoffs and other times just miss out.

They are. I thought Wentz was a bad idea from the start personally. And his numbers look kind of okay but watching the games a lot of the issues in Philly are still there in his game. I don't know what they do. 

• Like (+1) 2

Way over qualified, but If I'm the Bills I try like hell to convince Trubs Buffalo is the place to be. I think it allows Josh Allen the ability to run the football without to much of a drop off If he gets dinged up doing it. Signed longer term Trubisky could result in a number 1 draft return in a trade. (IMO)

Nice thread for discussion OP. Trubisky with the Colts is a win, win for both of them.

Not so much for the rest of the league...

Edited by Figster
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I wasn't sure, but even then I believe Saints will still likely do what it takes to keep him at least for another year. 

He will be on the roster but lisfranc injuries only have like a 75% return rate by hes timeline to start the season so he is unlikely to be counted on as a primary option to start.

he will miss the whole offseason, and possibly start of the season, as a low grade option to begin with. 

Edited by NoSaint

On 1/11/2022 at 12:53 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Right but currently they are in Qb purgatory. They are stuck in mediocrity. They’ve been doing the QB dance for how many years now … Brisett, rivers, Wentz… none bad enough to get a top pick (especially as they keep improving the roster) and none good enough to actually win anything. “Top QBs” don’t grow on trees when you pick in the middle of the draft, have a roster ready to win now  and aren’t in the mix on the established group of Rodgers, Wilson, Watson (who may not even be available anyway)

Watson would be a great fit in Indy.  

I could see Trubisky going to multiple teams and starting next year. Too many teams need a qb and not enough good ones will be available via the draft and free agency. BY my estimate there will be openings or partial openings he could potentially fill at the qb position for the Saints, Broncos, Panthers, Texans(not counting Watson), Giants, Steelers, Seahawks (If Wilson is traded like rumored this off season), or Washington Football team. 

Also, I don't find it likely the Colts will be in the hunt for him or move on from Wentz due tot he fact they have already committed so much into him salary and pick wise. A first rounder and 28 million cap hit that would be 15 million if they cut him. They are stuck with him at this point until atleast 2023 where they have an opt out. 

On 1/11/2022 at 12:54 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

What in the world happened to him?  He was a leading MVP candidate in 2017 before getting hurt and has just fallen off a cliff since.

2017 was an exceptional year for him.  The Eagles fielded a great team that year.

Let's all remember the team was so good that when Wentz got injured Foles took over and played great too and won the SB.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/12/2022 at 12:06 PM, GunnerBill said:

I don't know if they will or they won't but that is the only guaranteed upgrade from Wentz I can see open to them. 

They are. I thought Wentz was a bad idea from the start personally. And his numbers look kind of okay but watching the games a lot of the issues in Philly are still there in his game. I don't know what they do. 

They need a QB fast because otherwise they will be fired. Overpaying and stripping assets to get Jimmy G (for instance) is still a better move than sticking with Wentz.

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Interesting stuff in here

What's the gist of this?

On 1/11/2022 at 12:27 PM, BuffaloBill said:

I hate the situation for Frank Reich …. As his team would be scary with an above average QB.

The suggested scenario is highly likely as Wentz is as good as gone. 

Serious question. Outside of Taylor, what is scary about the colts?

They have a below average group of WR/TEs, an average defense with no dominant pass rusher and a terrible secondary. 

The Colts and the Pats were by far the most overrated teams in the league this year. 

I do like Reich and think he's a good coach.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.