Trent Dilfer Brett Favre who most reminds him of himself

North Buffalo

56 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have only been watching the NFL since 2002. 

Dickerson is before my time too but I have seen lots of clips of him running. Most of what I have seen of Young are him throwing. 

Curious.

What turned you on to the Bills if you didn't follow the glory years of the early 90's? From the area? Dad's a Bills fan? Favorite player? For me it was watching Joe Cribbs in the 80s. 

6 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Curious.

What turned you on to the Bills if you didn't follow the glory years of the early 90's? From the area? Dad's a Bills fan? Favorite player? For me it was watching Joe Cribbs in the 80s. 

A long, long story. But the short version is family friends originally from the area. 

Allen is an interesting runner.  He doesn't cut on a dime.  He doesn't look athletic.  He doesn't look like a RB when he runs as do some other running QBs.   When he lumbers down the field, he doesn't look fast - until you see how difficult it is for defenders to catch up.  

Besides being deceptively fast, he picks his angles well and regularly breaks arm tackles.   I love when he successfully stiff-arms guys in a way few QBs can.    

As a runner, Josh doesn't remind me of anyone.

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, LeviF said:

There really isn't a historical comparison for Josh at this point. 

People have said Cam, but JA is a much better passer than even peak Cam. 

People have said Favre or Elway, but both are overrated and I believe Josh has better passing ability than either. And is clearly a better runner than either.

Steve Young is a decent mention but Allen is bigger, stronger.

Cam Newton was a great comp when Allen was a prospect, but the divergence started immediately after he started playing in the NFL.  Totally different - opposite really - career and performance arcs.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, LeviF said:

People have said Favre or Elway, but both are overrated and I believe Josh has better passing ability than either. And is clearly a better runner than either.

This is pretty much where I am at.

I think the Cam comparison revolves around the fact that they are similar in size. Like Cam, Allen is fearless as runner and can be very physical. But, IMO, Allen is actually a more athletic runner than Cam was and the passing game between the two isn't even close.

There certainly are some similarities (certain abilities and/or traits) to to Favre, Elway, and Young, but, to me, not great comparisons.

From a complete QB perspective (both running and passing), I think he may be the most physically gifted QB to ever play in the NFL. Add in his work ethic, general intellect, and football IQ and he may have a higher ceiling than I've ever seen in a QB.

Will he reach it? I have no idea. But it is going to be fun watching him on his journey.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, LeviF said:

Yup total unicorn

Maybe if you combine Young and Cam you get Allen aka scariest QB to ever play the game

He doesnt look like him.  Doesnt throw like him.  Allen 100% plays like Farve.  Only 2 qbs in history who would not only attempt but complete 2 forward down the field shovel passes on the same drive.  That pitch down the field to Knox at the end of the half same type of play.  Can launch absolute rockets anywhere but has a back yard football feel.  Every game they look like they are having the most fun on the field.  No comp is perfect.  I get he looks like other guys.  I think the style of play is what Farve is talking about.  

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Doug Flutie with the body of Cam Newton and arm of Jeff George. 

"Like a giant buffalo. Or some sort of monster, like something with the body of a walrus with the head of a sea lion. Or something with the body of an egret with the head of a meerkat. Or just the head of a monkey with the antlers of a reindeer.....with the body of a porcupine"

- Michael Scott

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It is true. I have never seen a QB run like Josh Allen. Lamar Jackson is the most special athlete I have ever seen play the Quarterback position, but his style, I have seen before. He is a better Michael Vick. Allen's running style it kinda reminds me of Eric Dickerson with that sort of upright style and the way he just runs over people.... but Dickerson is a HoF running back. Allen is a Quarterback. Unique. 

I must disagree with the bolded.  LJ is great, but pre-incarceration Vick was IMHO the best running QB of all time.  He was the fastest guy on the field and incredibly elusive.

As for a historical comparable to Josh's running style, I'd suggest pre-knee-injury Daunte Culpepper, who was 6'4", 260 and pretty fast, although not as fast as Josh.  In his 1st 5 years as a starter, Culpepper had over 400 yards rushing every year, including 1 year with over 600.  JA is a better passer, but his running style reminds me of Daunte's.

8 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I must disagree with the bolded.  LJ is great, but pre-incarceration Vick was IMHO the best running QB of all time.  He was the fastest guy on the field and incredibly elusive.

As for a historical comparable to Josh's running style, I'd suggest pre-knee-injury Daunte Culpepper, who was 6'4", 260 and pretty fast, although not as fast as Josh.  In his 1st 5 years as a starter, Culpepper had over 400 yards rushing every year, including 1 year with over 600.  JA is a better passer, but his running style reminds me of Daunte's.

I can see the Culpepper thing. I disagree strongly on Vick. Lamar is a better runner. 

I can't compare him to anyone really. Some similar maybe, but as far as comparing the way Allen runs and makes plays with his legs only, I can't recall many QB's that moves like he does, can cut quick making a defender look silly, and last but not least, he will hurdle and defender making it look easy. 

I just can't compare to any other QB. Even Cam in his days didn't hurdle multiple players on multiple occasions and clearing it untouched lol

Passing though I could compare with Elway some

Allen is deceptively fast, as just about everyone recognises.

What I'm curious about, tbh, is just how fast he is.

I'm convinced he didn't really 'go for it' on his combine 40.

When he was doing a lot of running early in his career, he actually was getting to the top of speed lists, for guys rushing.

Even now, he often gets outside of players you think should be able to get him, and are regarded as having decent speed.

That aside, I think he has the same mentality as Favre, but a better arm, and is way better on his legs.

In respect of seeing an available rushing lane, I think he does compare favorably to Steve Young, but his arm, again, is way better.

I disagree that he's like Favre.  Favre wasn't a scrambler (averaged about 6 yards a game rushing over his career).  As for passing (from 2020 on), Josh has Favre's gunslinger mentality, but that's about it.  Favre was much more loose with the football.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.