McDermott hired five years ago Today.

Buffalo Boy

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The direction of the franchise changed the moment he walked through the door. Make no mistake it isn't just results on the field. Sean McDermott was the first guy the Bills had hired in forever who had a very clear idea of what he thought a winning organisation looked like and a determination to build it that way. Being a Head Coach isn't just about being an Xs and Os guy. It is about being the person with the vision to drive change.

Of course ultimately he will be judged on whether he wins a Lombardi. But even if he doesn't he was a slam dunk of a hire for the Bills and without that decision having been made I very strongly suspect we'd still be spinning our wheels. 

McD was given the keys to the kingdom and took the job seriously. He also doesn’t have the same flawed ego that some other good coaches have. 

Hiring him and Beane and getting them on the same page was so big for the Bills.

• Thank you (+1) 1

People who complain about McD must have short term memory loss. The ***** show circus that was the Buffalo Bills, that nearly spanned two decades is but a memory thanks in large part to this guy. Not too long ago, it was almost embarrassing to say one was a Bills fan. Some people didn't even know who the Buffalo Bills were, as in they had zero relevance in the league. This single hire was STEP 1 in making this team relevant again. 4-5 years in the playoffs....be thankful! 

• Like (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, Lane Meyer K12 said:

People who complain about McD must have short term memory loss. The ***** show circus that was the Buffalo Bills, that nearly spanned two decades is but a memory thanks in large part to this guy. Not too long ago, it was almost embarrassing to say one was a Bills fan. Some people didn't even know who the Buffalo Bills were, as in they had zero relevance in the league. This single hire was STEP 1 in making this team relevant again. 4-5 years in the playoffs....be thankful! 

Amen to this and the fact that the Bills are free from scandal and organizational drama.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I was very interested in Anthony Lynn staying on, was neutral on McDermott (much like draft choices you just never know). Anthony Lynn was fired by Chargers last year and he was just fired as OC of the Lions yesterday.  Doubt he would come back, but the players really respected him.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/01/10/anthony-lynn-out-as-lions-offensive-coordinator/

6 hours ago, Lane Meyer K12 said:

That's a shame, when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that...

• Haha (+1) 1

Hard to believe how fast time flies. Five years and lots of aggressive clapping later this team is in position to contender for a championship.

I'm rooting for McDermott to truly elevate himself into the elite HC discussion considering the true definition of running the gauntlet on deck:

Pats/Belichik

Andy Reid/Mahomes

Titans/DH

Brady/Bucs

Etc.

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am curious about what it was that made you think that? 

I was concerned that his success as a DC was more because of Ron Rivera.  But probably because of the prior 16 years of coach hiring ineptitude. 

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

I was concerned that his success as a DC was more because of Ron Rivera.  But probably because of the prior 16 years of coach hiring ineptitude. 

Hmm. Okay. I thought he was the outstanding young defensive coordinator in football. I remember making a post on this board during the 2015 season when I had already decided Rex had to go after the London game where I said my first two phone calls would be Josh McDaniels who I felt was the outstanding offensive coordinator in the league and Sean McDermott who I thought was the defensive equivalent. We got darn lucky. Because we should have fired Rex and hired him a year earlier. And Cleveland wanted to hire him. He was the top of their list after first interviews. But the Panthers made the Superbowl and the Browns were not willing to wait and so hired Hue Jackson. On such twists of fate do stories get re-written.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Now is not the time to get into it, as we sit on the eve of a new playoff campaign.

It's 100% pedal to the metal time now, go Bills.  

But...eventually, McDermott is going to have to get it done.

How one defines "getting it done" and how long one thinks is a reasonable amount of time to accomplish that are debatable.

It's too early now, but this is going to be the big, relevant, and interesting question among Bills fans down the road, unless we win it all in the near future.

If he does win it all in the next few years, he'll be here forever.

• Disagree 2

I was very skeptical of McDermott and "the Process" but I am so glad to have been wrong. 

But I was against the Rex hire from the beginning, so any change was good. 

Edited by Dr. K

11 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

https://www.nfl.com/_amp/sean-mcdermott-hired-as-buffalo-bills-new-head-coach-0ap3000000772857

It has now been half a decade since Bills fandom’s period of darkness showed the first sign of ending.

49-32 (.605). Regular season

2-3 (.400) Playoffs

4 out of 5 years in the playoffs.

2 AFC East titles

1 AFC Championship Appearance 

Is he perfect? No

Is he a very good coach? Yes

It also looks like he might have the beginnings of a Coaching Tree starting.

He needs one SB win and he will be the best coach, in the SB era, this team has had. 

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiELW-KS-SJqo0Dnfz-AWlNXsqGQgEKhAIACoHCAowjNmACzCjgo0DMPS6-wU?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

And idiots wanted this guy fired a few weeks ago lol

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Hard to believe how fast time flies. Five years and lots of aggressive clapping later this team is in position to contender for a championship.

I'm rooting for McDermott to truly elevate himself into the elite HC discussion considering the true definition of running the gauntlet on deck:

Pats/Belichik

Andy Reid/Mahomes

Titans/DH

Brady/Bucs

Etc.

He needs that one final push to elevate himself to the CHampionship level....and BTW needs his QB to play at his BEST during the playoffs.   If Josh Allen can compose himself and play like he has shown us many times, we will win the SB.   Go Bills!

2 hours ago, CoudyBills said:

He was referring to a playoff loss when asked if his correct playoff record was 2-2 or 2-3.

Apologies, I've been hearing from a myriad of Patriots fans that they basically have the game in the bag because Buffalo lost to Jacksonville and got lost in reading the hundredth post today. I'll delete.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.