Beef on Weck Tips

judman

18 hours ago, Irv said:

Went to the Genny Brew Pub in Rochester last weekend and ordered their B.o.W.  It has Charlie the Butcher beef on it and a really good toll.  Washed down with two Genny Screamers.  Highly recommended.  

Well, that explains the 'stool' thread. 🤨

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/10/2022 at 8:05 PM, IronMaidenBills said:

Cook the beef, and put it on weck. Follow me for more pro tips. 

Make the GRAVY.  Don't over-Bougie it!

tumblr_noenylQkFh1s8njeuo1_500.gif

Au jus has absolutely no part in Buffalo history!

"...The well-done beef, usually topped with GRAVY and horseradish at Bailo's, poured off of the full-sized kimmelweck roll.

Again, at a time when dozens — if not hundreds — of corner saloons were carving up beef on weck around the region, Bailo's was famous all over the city for people who'd make the trip for what was universally recognized as one of the city's best roast beef sandwiches. ..."

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/history/torn-down-tuesday-bailos-famed-for-beef-on-weck-and-an-urban-legend/article_c401f97b-2d78-5ac5-91ee-b3d85bb4546c.html

• Like (+1) 1

I agree that the beef is best if cut thin. I may try beef sliced from the deli with aus jus that sounds great and easy. What we usually do here is buy a thinly cut steak here they sell called milanesa and cook it with aus jus. The rolls are a homemade affair with a hard roll and wash with the rock salt and caraway.

The best beef on weck Ive had in san diego happens to be at a place called The Local in Pacific Beach. They host the san diego Billsbackers chapter where they also sell pizza logs, wings, special on labatts splits...Great venue. Im guessing covid has really hurt their business its a shame.

8 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

If you cook it sous vide and sear on grill you can slice it as thick or thin as you desire and it will not matter.

What temp do you do it sous vide? Have to be careful to keep it from cooking too much, especially when you warm it in the jus. 

I’ve been pretty pleased with a very thin cut Boars Head roast beef from the deli. I think getting the roll right makes all the difference in the world. Use the packets for au jus rather than a can and some good horseradish…and you have a mighty fine meal. Chips and a pickle to finish it off, oh MY! Add my mom’s German potato salad? A little taste of home. 

You can get decent wings most places, but I’ve never had great beef on weck outside of WNY. I’m sure it can be found, but the Duff’s location 45 miles from me in Newnan, GA went out of business early in Covid. 

Anywhere I’ve ever lived, my priority when I go back is getting all my favorite foods and hitting my go-to places. I think most people are like that. The food means “home”. 

• Angry 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Augie said:

What temp do you do it sous vide? Have to be careful to keep it from cooking too much, especially when you warm it in the jus. 

I’ve been pretty pleased with a very thin cut Boars Head roast beef from the deli. I think getting the roll right makes all the difference in the world. Use the packets for au jus rather than a can and some good horseradish…and you have a mighty fine meal. Chips and a pickle to finish it off, oh MY! Add my mom’s German potato salad? A little taste of home. 

You can get decent wings most places, but I’ve never had great beef on weck outside of WNY. I’m sure it can be found, but the Duff’s location 45 miles from me in Newnan, GA went out of business early in Covid. 

Anywhere I’ve ever lived, my priority when I go back is getting all my favorite foods and hitting my go-to places. I think most people are like that. The food means “home”. 

I typically sous vide to the low end of medium rare 130-132. Then people who prefer it cooked more can just do so by putting slices into the hot au jus to finish to their liking before building their sandwich as you mentioned.

For Charlie the Butcher fans this is an informative view.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BillsFanNC said:

I typically sous vide to the low end of medium rare 130-132. Then people who prefer it cooked more can just do so by putting slices into the hot au jus to finish to their liking before building their sandwich as you mentioned.

Interesting that they show the corn starch slurry there, as they used to have on the website. This thread caused me to check the website and I noticed that they have changed the binder to egg wash. Not sure if that’s because it just sounds easier for people? 

I will cook beef tenderloin at 134.5 degrees. Odd, I know, but I just got into that habit. Cook it too little and some people will make a face that says they can hear “MOO”. For those people you can always get it more well done on the sear. 

On 1/13/2022 at 8:36 PM, Augie said:

128.5 is my magic number for red meats.

If you can start it the day before and let it go overnight at that temp, it will make it significantly more tender.

1 hour ago, Simon said:

128.5 is my magic number for red meats.

If you can start it the day before and let it go overnight at that temp, it will make it significantly more tender.

Sadly, the state of our world has made me almost give up on cooking. A temp of 128.5 would sicken some of my red meat eaters. They needed it  back on the grill at 134.5 degrees. They (red meat eaters) are a minority these days. The DIL is a vegetarian. As are her 5 sisters. Her parents will eat chicken and fish, but not red meat. 

My wife and her tribe won’t do gluten or dairy. Supposedly real reactions for those of middle eastern background.  My nieces will do chicken, but not red meat. One will do fish, but the other will not eat anything that “swims in it’s own poop”.  A very close friend is allergic to eggs. Another  close friend will do shell fish, but not FISH. 

I loved cooking, but gave up. Let’s go out to eat! Let someone else deal with this $%#^.  My parents put food on the table, and you ate it or you went hungry. It was almost always steak and potatoes, both of which I avoid to this day. 

On 1/10/2022 at 8:14 PM, Simon said:

I'll second this.

No fuss, no muss and it tastes just as good.

Just make sure you don't warm it too much or too long or the beef will start to cook and get tougher.

There's something about the process of making/serving good food that I really enjoy.  This hack isn't for me.

On 1/14/2022 at 8:53 AM, BillsFanNC said:

Great video. That Alto-Sham oven is the real secret to Charlie the Butcher. Too bad there isn't a home equivalent.

Au jus = for French Dip

Au jus + spices = for Italian Beef

Gravy = Beef on Weck

A good beef on weck sandwich has thickened sauce... Au jus is too thin and simply a bastardization of the original recipe.   People are doing it all wrong.  It ain't French Dip on a kimmelweck and it certainly ain't a spicy Italian beef. It's ***** -ing simple with a thickened sauce, roast beef in a thicker gravy.

😏 

From Schwabls which was one of the original recipes, invented the damn sammich... 😆 

https://www.schwabls.com/menu/

Hand Carved Roast Beef

Robust 1/2lb. serving of our in-house roasted beef, hand-carved to your liking. served on your choice of kümmelweck, bread with gravy or without.

On 1/18/2022 at 1:14 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Au jus = for French Dip

Au jus + spices = for Italian Beef

Gravy = Beef on Weck

A good beef on weck sandwich has thickened sauce... Au jus is too thin and simply a bastardization of the original recipe.   People are doing it all wrong.  It ain't French Dip on a kimmelweck and it certainly ain't a spicy Italian beef. It's ***** -ing simple with a thickened sauce, roast beef in a thicker gravy.

😏

From Schwabls which was one of the original recipes, invented the damn sammich... 😆 

https://www.schwabls.com/menu/

Hand Carved Roast Beef

Robust 1/2lb. serving of our in-house roasted beef, hand-carved to your liking. served on your choice of kümmelweck, bread with gravy or without.

I prefer au jus.  But...

For just this purpose, I just got my 6.5 lb. Prime top sirloin roast.

I'll put the rub on it this evening and let it dry out in the little refrigerator until Sunday afternoon.

Then 225 degrees over lump until it reaches 127 internal, then remove it, cover it in foil, open up the grates and let the lump get really hot, (only takes about seven minutes), then remove the foil and reverse sear the two sides about three mins each.

Cover and let it rest for about 10-15 mins and off we go.

Dinner at five.

6 hours ago, sherpa said:

For just this purpose, I just got my 6.5 lb. Prime top sirloin roast.

I'll put the rub on it this evening and let it dry out in the little refrigerator until Sunday afternoon.

Then 225 degrees over lump until it reaches 127 internal, then remove it, cover it in foil, open up the grates and let the lump get really hot, (only takes about seven minutes), then remove the foil and reverse sear the two sides about three mins each.

Cover and let it rest for about 10-15 mins and off we go.

Dinner at five.

Please send your address.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.