GDT: National Championship: Georgia at Alabama 8:00pm ESPN

Nextmanup

7 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Come on. A person can CONTACT an object without GRASPING it firmly or with control. I don't fully understand what's confusing you here. Are you a big time Bama fan? 

Touching is not the same as controlling.

So if that exact play happened at the end of the Super Bowl and the ball is caught by a WR in the end zone that team would and should lose because they can’t advance a fumble?  And tat wouldn’t be a big deal?

Put another way:  Control is a spectrum.  The perfect QB with the maximum possible grip on the ball can drop it in a bucket 60 yards away.  A slightly lower amount of control and the bucket gets knocked over.  This QB was losing control of the ball when his arm started to move forward but had not lost all control because the ball had not left his hand and it ended up going forward.  That can only be because his arm at some point began moving forward when he had some measure of control of the ball.  That is physics and nothing else.  If someone were to say he did not have “enough control” that is an entirely different statement.  The judgement of that then becomes entirely subjective which I view negatively.  It was not a shock to me that the judgement fell in Bama’s  favor.

If a Georgia player happened to be standing where the ball landed and caught it do you think it would have been called a reception or a fumble recovery?

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, 4merper4mer said:

So if that exact play happened at the end of the Super Bowl and the ball is caught by a WR in the end zone that team would and should lose because they can’t advance a fumble?  And tat wouldn’t be a big deal?

Put another way:  Control is a spectrum.  The perfect QB with the maximum possible grip on the ball can drop it in a bucket 60 yards away.  A slightly lower amount of control and the bucket gets knocked over.  This QB was losing control of the ball when his arm started to move forward but had not lost all control because the ball had not left his hand and it ended up going forward.  That can only be because his arm at some point began moving forward when he had some measure of control of the ball.  That is physics and nothing else.  If someone were to say he did not have “enough control” that is an entirely different statement.  The judgement of that then becomes entirely subjective which I view negatively.  It was not a shock to me that the judgement fell in Bama’s  favor.

If a Georgia player happened to be standing where the ball landed and caught it do you think it would have been called a reception or a fumble recovery?

At this point it's just weird. I think you're on an island with this, and I guess I commend you for sticking with it?

1 hour ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I didn’t realize Doug Marrone was a coach For Alabama. Saw his miserable face on the sideline so I looked it up. What a fall from the top that guy had. From NFL head coach  to collegiate offensive line coach. Couldn’t have happened to a better guy. 

Yet another reason I’m so glad Alabama lost. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.