Giants interview Schoen for their GM job [Edit: Now hired by Giants as GM]

BillsMafi$

On 1/17/2022 at 1:15 PM, Golden*Wheels said:

I have odd fantasies about Schoen going to the Giants, then hiring Daboll as coach. We then create a weird symbiotic NFC/AFC partnership as franchises where we trade players, share free agents, and help each other get better. Heck they can scrimmage in the summer too. Create an NYS (OK, NYS and New Jersey) football cartel!

Like our "relationship" with the Panthers, to some degree. Just magnified.

Yeah, we could have done that with Gettleman there already and didn't. Shut up. It's my fantasy! I am also 6 foot 2 in said fantasy. (looks unchanged as uggos have character, I just want to be taller)

It's all coming together....

https://www.nj.com/giants/2022/01/giants-hire-gm-joe-schoen-did-john-mara-get-this-right-he-nailed-the-search-process-at-least-and-credit-him-for-that.html

Reportedly they are still working out the details of his contract, but if the rest of the interviewees have been told "sorry", it seems like a done deal they will give Schoen whatever he wants

• Mooshocker12 changed the title to Schoen Hired as GM of Giants
  • Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Giants interview Schoen for their GM job [Edit: Now hired by Giants as GM]
1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://www.nj.com/giants/2022/01/giants-hire-gm-joe-schoen-did-john-mara-get-this-right-he-nailed-the-search-process-at-least-and-credit-him-for-that.html

Reportedly they are still working out the details of his contract, but if the rest of the interviewees have been told "sorry", it seems like a done deal they will give Schoen whatever he wants

The Giants have already made it official. It is a done deal.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Daboll is a logical connection…but what if Schoen hires Brian Flores and tries to trade their #1 picks to bring DeShaun Watson to NY?  WOW

He’s probably going to wait till 2023 for Watson to be their QB since the league is waiting for his legal issues to be resolved and if we use what happened to Zeke Elliot as a guide and he got 8 games for literally a he said she said…Watson is probably getting a year 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat

43 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Question to ask:  Besides Beasley, which FA have we been able to attract here?   I think Buffalo is still not a preferred destination for FA for multiple reasons -  Weather, Taxes, and not a big city.  

Star and Addison came over due to Carolina connections and also Bills were the only team to overpay for their services.  

Butler and Haack are average FA acquisitions.   Sanders is in his last legs and is the only guy who followed the benefit of playing with a star QB.   Rest of our team is home grown talent.  

While you are not wrong, I’m going to have to also reference the guys that they’ve kept in-house. They are homegrown towns, but the re-signing of White, Milano and Allen were very good signs. These three were guys that we historically would’ve had far greater risk of losing, and in the case of Tre and Milano, would have most definitely lost.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, corta765 said:

With GM's you really need to use the long view. Rushing a QB pick still will not fix the fundamental issue of building the roster to have depth and the talent to maximize that QB's skill set. The Chiefs and Bills both targeted QB's which they had very specific visions for and how they would support them. As fans I get you always want QB asap, but at times it pays dividends to wait a little for your guy. This is a QB weak draft and Schoen would be walking into a team that needs a full on autopsy before making adjustments. Jones probably isn't the guy but god knows what exists with him or some of the skill guys given the prior regime. You are 100% correct that you need a guy like an Allen for your long term success, but the foundation has to be ready to build on without any lingering issues from the prior build or lack there of. If the Mara family is not onboard with a total rebuild any prospective GM/coach would be a fool to take it.

They probably have the least talented roster in that division so wouldn’t surprise me if they told him we are on board with just rebuilding this thing for a few years from scratch cause what we are doing ain’t working 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.