Giants interview Schoen for their GM job [Edit: Now hired by Giants as GM]

BillsMafi$

If a team were to hire those two in tandem, I think that the ownership expectations would be for them to follow the blueprint laid out by McDermott and Beane. The league is on notice. The Bills, despite having the greatest Fanbase in sports, have still long been known as small-market and unattractive to free agents and players in general. The way those two have turned that narrative around is what is impressing people.

It's been done over and over again. It takes many right decisions, obviously QB being the most important. Luck also plays a big role.

This wouldn't be the 1st time. The Bills are an interesting study though because of how they did it. I don't think anyone will ever copy it. Hire the coach and then the GM after the draft. It might have happened before but I can’t think of a situation like that.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

I think the Giants will be announcing their GM decision today, and I think it will be Schoen, from what I hear. If not, then Peters. I am wondering if they would bring in Trubisky, if Daboll is brought along too as HC, but that would be speculation for the latter two mentioned.

• Like (+1) 1

Per Ian O' Connor (NY Post beat writer, covers the Giants ) its a two man race.

(16) Ian O'Connor on Twitter: "As expected, word is Adam Peters was great yesterday with the Giants. I believe he made it a two-man race with Joe Schoen. Everyone sees the younger Ryan Poles as a big star in the making. Giants will make decision today. I'd put 20 bucks on Schoen but Peters is right there." / Twitter

First thing I would do with the Giants, regardless of who is hired, is take a deep dive into their team training and medical areas.  Every week, the Gints seem to have some key piece that's out of action, and they never seem to return in a timely manner.                                                                                               

"The Giants led the league with players on injured reserve with 23. They are also among the worst in starts missed due to injury with 68." “The string of injuries, especially on offense to players at the skill positions, has been silly,” writes ESPN Giants beat reporter Jordan Raanan. 12/8/21.

Like I said if Joshua Patrick Allen isn’t walking through that door nothing really is going to change.  
 The Mara family are going to have to be on board with a total rebuild as Daniel Jones just isn’t the guy Daboll and Schoen are leaving.

I’d full expect Kenny Pickett to be a Giant if this does happen

16 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

But but but Beane sucks.  He can't draft well.  He overvalues his players and is horrible in FA.  I heard it here.  Many many many many many many times.  I mean TBD posters can't be wrong.  Can they????

LOL

GO BILLS!!!!

He’s hit on some free agents and middle round picks but other then Allen the picks he’s made the last few years in top 3 rounds aren’t exactly setting the world on fire

36 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

If a team were to hire those two in tandem, I think that the ownership expectations would be for them to follow the blueprint laid out by McDermott and Beane. The league is on notice. The Bills, despite having the greatest Fanbase in sports, have still long been known as small-market and unattractive to free agents and players in general. The way those two have turned that narrative around is what is impressing people.

Question to ask:  Besides Beasley, which FA have we been able to attract here?   I think Buffalo is still not a preferred destination for FA for multiple reasons -  Weather, Taxes, and not a big city.  

Star and Addison came over due to Carolina connections and also Bills were the only team to overpay for their services.  

Butler and Haack are average FA acquisitions.   Sanders is in his last legs and is the only guy who followed the benefit of playing with a star QB.   Rest of our team is home grown talent.  

33 minutes ago, BillsDude said:

I think the Giants will be announcing their GM decision today, and I think it will be Schoen, from what I hear. If not, then Peters. I am wondering if they would bring in Trubisky, if Daboll is brought along too as HC, but that would be speculation for the latter two mentioned.

I was thinking the same thing. Makes sense for everyone!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ganesh said:

Question to ask:  Besides Beasley, which FA have we been able to attract here?   I think Buffalo is still not a preferred destination for FA for multiple reasons -  Weather, Taxes, and not a big city.  

It is not just FA but trade also. Most players are fine with Buffalo McCoy came, Diggs approved the trade, Hyde was a great signing. You do have a few which it is a no go but that is true for virtually every city as some players really have no desire for the big lights of NYC either. With Buffalo winning it makes it a much better destination. I would agree prior to 2017 it was not as easy a sell as the team had limited success and the area takes a little to learn and love.

4 minutes ago, corta765 said:

It is not just FA but trade also. Most players are fine with Buffalo McCoy came, Diggs approved the trade, Hyde was a great signing. You do have a few which it is a no go but that is true for virtually every city as some players really have no desire for the big lights of NYC either. With Buffalo winning it makes it a much better destination. I would agree prior to 2017 it was not as easy a sell as the team had limited success and the area takes a little to learn and love.

Winning cures all. Four playoff appearances in 5 years. B2B AFCE champs. One of the best QB's in the game on one of the best teams in the game. Plus these athletes are multi-millionaires so once the season is over they can go back to their other homes in Florida, California, Vegas etc etc etc if they want to.

(16) Adam Schefter on Twitter: "Giants are planning to hire Bills’ asst GM Joe Schoen as their GM, per sources. They still have to work out a contract, but Giants’ other GM finalists have been told that they’re out. If they work out the deal, Schoen is expected to be the Giants’ next GM." / Twitter

14 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Like I said if Joshua Patrick Allen isn’t walking through that door nothing really is going to change.  
 The Mara family are going to have to be on board with a total rebuild as Daniel Jones just isn’t the guy Daboll and Schoen are leaving.

I’d full expect Kenny Pickett to be a Giant if this does happen

With GM's you really need to use the long view. Rushing a QB pick still will not fix the fundamental issue of building the roster to have depth and the talent to maximize that QB's skill set. The Chiefs and Bills both targeted QB's which they had very specific visions for and how they would support them. As fans I get you always want QB asap, but at times it pays dividends to wait a little for your guy. This is a QB weak draft and Schoen would be walking into a team that needs a full on autopsy before making adjustments. Jones probably isn't the guy but god knows what exists with him or some of the skill guys given the prior regime. You are 100% correct that you need a guy like an Allen for your long term success, but the foundation has to be ready to build on without any lingering issues from the prior build or lack there of. If the Mara family is not onboard with a total rebuild any prospective GM/coach would be a fool to take it.

The Giants definitely need a veteran to compete with Daniel Jones for the QB spot.  Considering this is expected to be a weak QB draft, it doesn't make sense to use either of their 2 top 10 picks on a QB.  Let Trubisky & Jones fight it out & they will have a very good backup too since the Trubisky/Jones 1-2 in either order are a lot better than this year's disaster at backup after Jones went down.  Then evaluate both & see if either is good enough to be the 2023 starter.  If both fail to impress, draft a rookie in 2023. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.