Giants interview Schoen for their GM job [Edit: Now hired by Giants as GM]

BillsMafi$

Heard Schoen is the only candidate so far to get a second interview. Sounds like they are bringing him in to meet in person this time. Seems like he’s the leading candidate so far. 

I wonder if that has any implications on a potential Daboll landing spot. 

3 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Heard Schoen is the only candidate so far to get a second interview. Sounds like they are bringing him in to meet in person this time. Seems like he’s the leading candidate so far. 

Good for Schoen! We have DE depth in front office. But always hate to lose talent. Hell of a better spot for Bills if BD goes to Giants and not Phins!

16 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

The sign of a good franchise is having players and staff that other teams want. The sign of a GREAT franchise is having guys right behind them, or on a list, who barely miss a beat. 

Part of their job is having guys to fill in. I’ll bet they hit more than miss on the replacements. I’m a believer. Not a blind believer, but a believer. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

The story out is that if he gets the job, he wants Daboll.

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I was told a week ago that the two real cnadidates for that job were Joe Schoen and Horiz from Baltimore. Would be stunned if the hire isn't one of those two. 

If they were so strong wouldn’t they have made the hire by now ?  Why wait 

Looks like the Giants have narrowed it down to 3.

(16) Tom Pelissero on Twitter: "The #Giants are scheduled to conduct a second interview with #49ers assistant general manager Adam Peters for their GM job Thursday, per source. Peters is the third known finalist in New York, joining Buffalo’s Joe Schoen and Kansas City’s Ryan Poles." / Twitter

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/18/2022 at 11:57 PM, klos63 said:

I would be stunned if they weren’t a package deal.  Daboll has certainly earned a good shot as a HC.  The Giants are one of the more desirable openings too.  Ownership has proven to be good at times despite recent struggles.  Jobs like Jax and Houston are perfect for coaches just looking to pick up a huge paycheck so I don’t see him going to one of those.  A quality GM and HC combo can win with the Giants if they have time to build their roster and can find a QB. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

I would be stunned if they weren’t a package deal.  Daboll has certainly earned a good shot as a HC.  The Giants are one of the more desirable openings too.  Ownership has proven to be good at times despite recent struggles.  Jobs like Jax and Houston are perfect for coaches looking to pick up a huge paycheck.  A quality GM and HC combo can win with the Giants if they have time. 

They will definitely need time. The Giants are a bigger **** show than the Jets. What to do with Jones? I watch him play and I don't necessarily think he is bad but at the same I don't think he can be "the guy" like Allen, Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert etc etc etc.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Greg S said:

They will definitely need time. The Giants are a bigger **** show than the Jets. What to do with Jones? I watch him play and I don't necessarily think he is bad but at the same I don't think he can be "the guy" like Allen, Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert etc etc etc.

Jones is similar to Drew Lock.  They can be exciting at times and then  dumb plays.  They are inconsistent. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/18/2022 at 11:57 PM, klos63 said:

Pretty sweet package for the Giants!
I hope this happens, as we are almost certainly losing both, going to the NFC team that beat the Pats twice wouldn't be the worst thing.

Also, I would hate pulling against Dabol for the next 3 to 4 years until Josh gets him fired in Miami.

Edited by foreboding

1 minute ago, foreboding said:

Pretty sweet package for the Giants!
I hope this happens, as we are almost certainly losing both, going to the NFC team that beat the Pats twice wouldn't be the worst thing.

Also, I would hate pulling against Dabol for the next 3 to 4 years until Josh gets him fired in Miami.

I do agree that I don't want Daboll in Miami. I'd hate to hate him. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Yup.  It’s going to take time for sure.  The Giants are a mess right now.  It’s going to require a slash and burn, then total rebuild.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Jones is similar to Drew Lock.  They can be exciting at times and then  dumb plays.  They are inconsistent. 

I think he is better than Lock. Jones has a huge turnover problem, but he's an excellent athlete. I could see him being a good starter, but never elite, provided he stops turning the ball over

6 minutes ago, BontitaBills said:

Would the Bills receive a comp pick for losing Schoen to the Giants?  

To my knowledge, no. 

It’s only for minorities. I don’t believe Schoen is considered a minority, but I don’t want to assume either. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

While I really hope that Daboll and Schoen don't leave they certainly have earned it and going to an NFC opponent is far preferable over AFC. I would be very curious to see if they go to the Giants as a GM-Coach pair how much they try to mimic what Beane and McD have done. In many respects they would be entering a similar situation to the Bills in 2017:

-Cap is a mess

-Some talent exists but no one really knows to what extent

-Culture is non-existent

-General direction of the franchise is rudderless

-Starting QB can do some things but has warts at the same time

I would be curious on how this could play out. Beane is a disciple of cap mgmt and maximizing your assets from cap space to draft picks. Would Schoen be willing to eat cap the same way? McD was big about building a culture of competition and earning your spot. Daboll has proven to be good most of the time with the X's and O's, would he focus on culture in the way McD did.

Personally I think the smartest thing McD/Beane from the outset was just taking a year to evaluate what they had while building competition along the way. 2018 was the sacrificial lamb cap wise and QB development wise. The Giants could do similar as their talent in certain places isn't awful and I could truthfully see Daboll making the offense into a competent unit.

What are your thoughts on this and if the Bills plan would be copied to any degree if at all?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.