Giants interview Schoen for their GM job [Edit: Now hired by Giants as GM]

BillsMafi$

1 hour ago, inthebuff said:

There's been speculation that Shoen will hire Daboll as the head coach who will be bringing in Buffalo FAs such as Mitchell Trubisky, Isaiah McKenzie, Matt Brieda, and Ryan Bates with him.  I guess that depends on the cap money that the Giants would be able to free up.

There's also speculation that Flores is the lead candidate. Multiple sources have mentioned his name as wanting to interview and there's supposedly great interest on both sides. Flores is from Brooklyn, so it would be a bit of a homecoming. See if Schoen changes minds in New Jersey to look more at Daboll. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So I keep asking, and would be very obliged to be pointed at this reporting.  (I'm not doubting, I just want to see it)

It was (obviously) the Athletic.  JB reported (I think shortly after the Colts debacle) that McKenzie lost his job in part because he was too casual with the ball in practice. 

1 hour ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

People keep saying McKenzie is small compared to Cole. I don't get it? He's 1/4 " shorter and about the same weight? Does a quarter inch make that much of a difference?

I didn’t say he is small compared to Beasley.  I said because he is small he is going to need to be able to beat people on his routes if he wants to replace Beasley effectively.  

I said Cole is an elite route runner with exceptional hands.  He is small too, but he excels because of those two attributes.  Not to mention, Cole is pretty tough when it comes to YAC and getting that third down conversion.

So again, if McKenzie wants to excel as a starting slot WR like Cole, and be a focal point of an offense, he is going to need to excel at winning his routes and having good hands like Cole has done.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

While you are not wrong, I’m going to have to also reference the guys that they’ve kept in-house. They are homegrown towns, but the re-signing of White, Milano and Allen were very good signs. These three were guys that we historically would’ve had far greater risk of losing, and in the case of Tre and Milano, would have most definitely lost.

We didn’t have much money to spend and we basically  spent it on resigning guys below what they could have gotten on the open market…in addition when we did have money Mitch Morse who was the top free agent center signed with Buffalo because of Josh….a winning culture and a franchise qb has many people wanting to sign with Buffalo this argument that no one wants to come to Buffalo is ridiculous and should be over already  

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, buffaloaggie said:

There's also speculation that Flores is the lead candidate. Multiple sources have mentioned his name as wanting to interview and there's supposedly great interest on both sides. Flores is from Brooklyn, so it would be a bit of a homecoming. See if Schoen changes minds in New Jersey to look more at Daboll. 

I understand why people assume this hire puts Daboll in the drivers seat, but we really do not know anything about how Schoen feels about Daboll.  I think it is a big leap to presume he is the favored candidate.  I doubt Schoen would have been hired had he indicated in the interviews that he had his mind made up with out talking to any candidates.  

8 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Would be cool if B’lo can get Saquon for mid round pick - I doubt it but nice thought. 

Not to me.  The Bills do not need that contract on a RB, especially one that cannot stay on the field.  I would not trade for Saquan under any deal.  I would probably be interested in a cheap deal if/when he is cut.  

• Agree 3

14 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Would be cool if B’lo can get Saquon for mid round pick - I doubt it but nice thought. 

Giving up a pick that could become a starting OL or WR in a year or two and then paying $7.2M next year for a guy who averaged 3.5 ypc this year and missed most of the previous year would not be cool by any definition.

Barkley is less than worthless..........he would cost the Giants draft capital to trade.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I am going to really be interested how Beane and McD rebuilds their staffs as talent is stripped from their staffs. Next challenge for them that is for sure. 

39 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

What is that Giants giving us a Mid round pick to take that contract off their hands?  Or did you mean us giving up a pick for an oft INJ RB?

1 hour ago, buffaloaggie said:

Giants GM Joe Schoen is expected to meet with Bills OC Brian Daboll and DC Leslie Frazier about the Giants’ head coaching job this weekend, per a source, and as @RapSheet reported. I was told they requested permission earlier today.

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I am going to really be interested how Beane and McD rebuilds their staffs as talent is stripped from their staffs. Next challenge for them that is for sure. 

Well if you are a good young assistant coach..........working under McDermott right now would probably look like a fast track.    

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FLFan said:

Not to me.  The Bills do not need that contract on a RB, especially one that cannot stay on the field.  I would not trade for Saquan under any deal.  I would probably be interested in a cheap deal if/when he is cut.  

Guys like Barkley and Zeke are so overrated. Gimme a good change of pace speed RB to backup Motor and we'll be fine.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Congrats to Joe. I hate to lose him but he’s earned the opportunity. I just hope he doesn’t poach too many people from the Bills.

I could also see him having a # of the same targets in the draft as the Bills this year. Giants pick ahead of us in every round so it could be frustrating for Beane. 😂

On 1/10/2022 at 3:13 PM, JGMcD2 said:

This would suck... but at the same time I have full confidence in Beane to find a suitable replacement. Crazy thing is, we have guys in house that can take over for Schoen. I know he's been a big part of things behind the scenes. 

Guys like Malik Boyd, Lake Dawson, Terrance Gray and Brian Gaine are more than capable.

We'd just be back filling one of their positions... probably even elevating Curtis Rukavina to replace who is promoted. 

Weird… 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.