Giants interview Schoen for their GM job [Edit: Now hired by Giants as GM]

BillsMafi$

20 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm hearing this and will have to take your word for it as I'm not a huge college fan.

The only 2 teams above them maybe in QB play is Detroit and Houston.

Then the decision is whether to pick up Jones' 5th.  If they don't then a tear down is maybe in play.

I am not a huge college fan either but from what I have been reading about the draft is that the QB's in this year's draft aren't very good. For the most part they are comparing the QB class more to the Daniel Jones/Haskins class instead of recent more star studded QB classes. Of course teams will over draft and QB's shoot up the board but I think given that Jones hasn't really had a decent chance for success they will stick with him for one last season and just see what they have fully and then go after a QB in 2023.

• Like (+1) 2

How are the Bills going to replace Schoen?  Has Beane been planning for his departure?  Will the Bills be able to be prepared for free agency and the draft?

Inquiring TBD worriers want to know.  Hadn't seen anyone fretting about his departure and wanted to be the first.  

:lol:

• Haha (+1) 2

Congrats to Schoen, I think this is a great hire by the Giants.  Our FO has been one of the best in the NFL, if he takes what he learned here from Beane there, I think the Giants are in good hands.

With this not being seen as a strong QB class, I think its at least possible the Giants see what a new coach can do with Jones this year and use their ammo to rebuild the trenches first.  If they do take a QB this draft, the guy I would keep an eye on is Malik Willis.  And like many have said, Daboll makes a lot of sense for Schoen, but Daboll might have some more attractive situations still offered to him too.

I see a lot of talk about Cole and McKenzie...my hats off to McKenzie, he has really made a nice impact in some games lately.  I will however caution people though...its one thing to produce when teams are not prepared or game planning to take you out of a game...its a whole other thing when you are one of the focal points in the offense.  

Cole is an ELITE route runner and has exceptional hands.  To just assume Mckenzie could slide into his role where teams focus on stopping him every week is premature still.  Yes he is explosive, but he is small, and for him to excel in Cole's role, he will need to constantly beat people on routes and make those big catches.  Cole is one of the most (and maybe the most) effective third down weapon in the NFL because of his ability to make people look silly in short spaces and fight for yards on YAC.  

That being said, with McKenzie having some strong play, and Knox and Davis emerging as legit weapons, I think its at least possible now that Cole be somewhere else next year.  Still not sold Cole wont play out his last year here though, but its not out of the question anymore.  

Cole is someone I can see Schoen coveting to bring in, especially if they are going to see if they can help Daniel Jones or rookie QB out.  So it wouldn't surprise me anymore if Cole isn't back next year, and Giants now to me make a lot of sense as a trade partner if so.  

Maybe its in a deal that includes Barkley given Giants cap issues too. 

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

To get a longer commitment and more money. The Bills have brought him back twice on cheap 1 year deals. Maybe the Bills are ready to commit to him but I think their tactic of the last two years of let him test the market and wait for him to come back would result in him joining the Giants. 

Plus the benching 

22 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i also think regardless, we are going to pay McKenzie. Nothing outrageous— but maybe a 2 or 3-year deal. He has earned it. 

I think they will offer him a deal but let him walk if he gets more elsewhere. Same as last two years. He has not gotten a lot of interest on the open market and they will test that theory again. 

1 hour ago, inthebuff said:

There's been speculation that Shoen will hire Daboll as the head coach who will be bringing in Buffalo FAs such as Mitchell Trubisky, Isaiah McKenzie, Matt Brieda, and Ryan Bates with him.  I guess that depends on the cap money that the Giants would be able to free up.

Bates is an RFA so bills can tender him

but seeing as the giants have an o line need we can trade him for saquon straight up lol

Edited by aristocrat
  • Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Plus the benching 

I think they will offer him a deal but let him walk if he gets more elsewhere. Same as last two years. He has not gotten a lot of interest on the open market and they will test that theory again. 

i can see that.  As great as McKenzie is, there are a lot of players that are like him.

If you look even at the Steelers, they have used Ray Ray with probably similar if not more production  than McKenzie.  I could see Stevenson growing into that role, so long as he doesn’t keep running into his own teammates. 

i do think the Bills will give him a fair and better deal though. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This is a good team to remake.  If Daboll gets the job, he will bring MT with him. This will already be an upgrade over DJ. He has 2 top 10 picks and is in the weakest division in the NFL. They could be a threat to win the division next year.

Edited by turftoe

33 minutes ago, inthebuff said:

There's been speculation that Shoen will hire Daboll as the head coach who will be bringing in Buffalo FAs such as Mitchell Trubisky, Isaiah McKenzie, Matt Brieda, and Ryan Bates with him.  I guess that depends on the cap money that the Giants would be able to free up.

The Giants pretty much have to go full blood bath on their roster.  Their situation is much worse than what McD came into here.  The only player you listed that would make sense to follow Daboll is Trubisky.  Always good to have a QB with experience in your system on your team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Cole is an ELITE route runner and has exceptional hands.  To just assume Mckenzie could slide into his role where teams focus on stopping him every week is premature still.  Yes he is explosive, but he is small, and for him to excel in Cole's role, he will need to constantly beat people on routes and make those big catches.  Cole is one of the most (and maybe the most) effective third down weapon in the NFL because of his ability to make people look silly in short spaces and fight for yards on YAC.  

People keep saying McKenzie is small compared to Cole. I don't get it? He's 1/4 " shorter and about the same weight? Does a quarter inch make that much of a difference?

• Haha (+1) 1

Congrats to him, and while losing good people is not desirable, the most important guy in the front office is Brandon Beane, and when you establish a track record of people that work for you go onto bigger jobs it becomes a very effective recruiting tool - come here, help us be successful, learn how we do things and promotional opportunities will come your way. 

• Like (+1) 1

NFW does Schoen bring Watson to NJ.  He'd never stand for wasting top draft picks on a POS like that.

15 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

People keep saying McKenzie is small compared to Cole. I don't get it? He's 1/4 " shorter and about the same weight? Does a quarter inch make that much of a difference?

Ask your wife.

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

How are the Bills going to replace Schoen?  Has Beane been planning for his departure?  Will the Bills be able to be prepared for free agency and the draft?

Inquiring TBD worriers want to know.  Hadn't seen anyone fretting about his departure and wanted to be the first.  

:lol:

Enter Luke Kuechly!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.