Giants interview Schoen for their GM job [Edit: Now hired by Giants as GM]

BillsMafi$

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

To get a longer commitment and more money. The Bills have brought him back twice on cheap 1 year deals. Maybe the Bills are ready to commit to him but I think their tactic of the last two years of let him test the market and wait for him to come back would result in him joining the Giants. 

Yep, but guessing Beasley is gone and McKenzie has a bigger role next year. He's been looking like Deebo lately

• Like (+1) 2

Congrats to Schoen, this is probably one of many dominoes to fall in the next few weeks in terms of Bills FO/coaches pending departures which makes this weeks game and playoff run as a whole so much more important to finish the job so to speak.

Also watch the Saquan Barkley trade to Buffalo rumors to gain serious steam in the offseason because of the assumption Schoen will favor his previous employer in any such scenario.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

We all knew it was going to happen eventually. He’s been an asset to us and will do good things for the Giants.

This also means Daboll and Frazier have a much higher likelihood of going to the NFC, which is preferable if we should lose one or both of them. I’d rather not arm an AFC team (especially in our division) with tools who know us best

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, nucci said:

why would McKenzie leave?

22 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Money

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

McKenzie is a free agent after this season.

21 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Dollars.  Duh 

I thought they were paying him in candy bars?

Edited by The Wiz
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

PFT noted how likely it is that Schoen will interview Frazier and/or Daboll for head coach.

I'm thinking, wouldnt it be very telling if Schoen did Not interview both?  Or that if he only interviewed one, what that means about the other.

And if he doesnt interview both, or else interviews neither, is thee a wink/nod not to poach them?  Or have they told him they dont want the Giants HC job anyway?

oooooh.  drama.

(that's all I got here)

My honest guess is one of the coordinators is going with him and id guess daboll. 

But I don't think you can read too much into it if he doesn't interview them. When people leave companies especially for promotions, its not always a great look to poach former co workers out of respect. This is the NFL so a lot of the outside world etiquette isn't the same but wouldn't be weird or shocking in my opinion 

I think this is a great hire for the Giants, good and great teams get coaches and players poached. I strongly suspect Daboll will be going to the Giants. The Giants are a great opportunity for a long term rebuild. They have the 5th and 7th picks in the draft and are likely to have low enough expectations given their lack of recent success that they will likely give a new coach 3 seasons to properly rebuild. They have some good defensive talent but on offense lack a lot of punch outside of their tackle Thomas and Barkley. 

I don't think too many players will be poached by the Giants as they don't have a ton of cap space to deal with. Maybe Beasley or Mac get poached and some depth/special teams players. But I don't see the Giants going after bigger ticket players from the Bills. 

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

I don't think Joe Schoen is going to be concerning himself too much about McKenzie.

His biggest decision is QB.

Keep Jones and pick up his 5th or trade up to #1 with the Jags and have his choice of QBs?

He's got more than enough draft capital to do that.

This isn't a very strong QB class. I think they stick with Jones for one more year and see what they have before deciding to move on. Schoen and possibly Daboll or Frazier will likely want to poach some Bills talent but I doubt that given the Giants bad cap situation I don't think they have much to work with to go out and steal too many players from the Bills. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

PFT noted how likely it is that Schoen will interview Frazier and/or Daboll for head coach.

I'm thinking, wouldnt it be very telling if Schoen did Not interview both?  Or that if he only interviewed one, what that means about the other.

And if he doesnt interview both, or else interviews neither, is thee a wink/nod not to poach them?  Or have they told him they dont want the Giants HC job anyway?

oooooh.  drama.

(that's all I got here)

The Giants had one of the worst if not the worst offense in the NFL. For that reason alone Daboll has the advantage over Frazier. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Also might be a role for some our lower end FAs. If Dabes joins him watch for Isaiah McKenzie signing there. 

I thought about this, too.  Agree on the general point.  Not entirely sure about McKenize bc of the Buscaglia reporting about a coach/coaches having frustration with his cavalier approach to balls security even in practice. 

1 minute ago, Greg S said:

The Giants had one of the worst if not the worst offense in the NFL. For that reason alone Daboll has the advantage over Frazier. 

Yup.  And, should he like what he saw on practice, Daboll can bring in a starting-caliber QB with a year in his system.  

5 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I thought about this, too.  Agree on the general point.  Not entirely sure about McKenize bc of the Buscaglia reporting about a coach/coaches having frustration with his cavalier approach to balls security even in practice.

So I keep asking, and would be very obliged to be pointed at this reporting.  (I'm not doubting, I just want to see it)

3 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

This isn't a very strong QB class. I think they stick with Jones for one more year and see what they have before deciding to move on. Schoen and possibly Daboll or Frazier will likely want to poach some Bills talent but I doubt that given the Giants bad cap situation I don't think they have much to work with to go out and steal too many players from the Bills.

I'm hearing this and will have to take your word for it as I'm not a huge college fan.

The only 2 teams above them maybe in QB play is Detroit and Houston.

Then the decision is whether to pick up Jones' 5th.  If they don't then a tear down is maybe in play.

18 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I thought they were paying him in candy bars?

he did mention the word business.  I was surprised at how low he is paid this year and i get the impression maybe he had a better offer but how much better?  If the bills are offering 1 million and another team offers a three year 15 million with 7 guaranteed I would question his sanity if he did not take it.  He has decent return stats now to go with his ability as a jet sweep and slot receiver.   I hope he stays but if he does not he needs to be replaced.  And I don’t think Stevenson is it.  

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Well, we'll have a good working relationship with the Giants now. Expect more trades with the Giants.

At the very least I could see joint practices in the summer between the two teams and scrimmage against one another. I could also see the Giants becoming a regular preseason opponent every year like Detroit has been. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.