Giants interview Schoen for their GM job [Edit: Now hired by Giants as GM]

BillsMafi$

6 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I could see Mitch, Hughes, Star, Mongo and Bease playing in NJ next year. 

Im sure teams will try and poach Dorsey, but he may want to stay if offered OC.

Maybe that was part of the deal, we give you permission to hire Schoen, but you need to take Star in a trade  so we get rid of his contract!  LOL

Could see Beasley and Mongo going there, maybe Mitch if he can't find a better situation.

19 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

Dont be surprised if we get some "deals" with NYG in the future.

Kind of like Schoen giving a little love to Beane for helping him become successful and getting a shot.  

Very similar to Beane and McD giving love to Carolina in deals for players.

Unless Barkley comes dirt cheap I'm good on that dumpster fire lol. But your probably right. Id say theres a decent chance the giants qb room has fromm and trubisky in it next year.

27 minutes ago, CaliBills said:

Dont be surprised if we get some "deals" with NYG in the future.

Kind of like Schoen giving a little love to Beane for helping him become successful and getting a shot.  

Very similar to Beane and McD giving love to Carolina in deals for players.

This is definitely possible, different conferences and both are likely to have a good idea of how the other sees things. With the Giants likely rebuilding if Beane sees an opportunity to do something that would work with two teams in two very different modes.

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I feel like our PS guys are about to be raided in the off-season. We will see who Beane can keep. Guys like Isaiah Hodgins might have an easier time seeing the field in New Jersey 

Ya think? I honestly believe Cole is gone and Hodgins will have as good shot with the Bills as anywhere else. McKenzie could come back, but he will get multi-year offers from teams so the Bills will need to match that. 

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i agree. I guess the positive is that it is Saturday— I have to think the work is done by then for the most part.  But Schoen couldn’t schedule these for Monday instead? 

Don't want it Monday either. If the Bills win, there’s a quick turnaround for game planning. I’ve heard these interviews can be 4-6 hours long for HC. 

That said, you’d have to assume that some of this may be performative for Shoen and both are already penciled in for a second interview a week or two from now. 

43 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i agree. I guess the positive is that it is Saturday— I have to think the work is done by then for the most part.  But Schoen couldn’t schedule these for Monday instead? 

He's the Asst. GM.  I think they will be OK without the Asst. GM this weekend.

Unless he's bringing Beane with him, I don't see a way out for the Gunts.

52 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

If you're referring to Daboll and Frazier, I believe that if no interview was conducted they couldn't interview until our season is over, but if they interviewed before the Chiefs game, 2nd interviews are allowed before the Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, FLFan said:

Not to me.  The Bills do not need that contract on a RB, especially one that cannot stay on the field.  I would not trade for Saquan under any deal.  I would probably be interested in a cheap deal if/when he is cut.  

Would likely result into a high comp pick. They already signed his fifth year option, isn't that guaranteed?

Also he'll be two years off an acl. Think he's gonna have a huge year. He's also being paid as a top 10 rb in the league on his fifth year option. I think JA is somewhere around the 20th or so at qb...Baker is in that ballpark as well I believe.

Moral of the story, don't draft a rb that early. Second moral of the story. If you can get a potential top 2 rb at top 10 salary, and likely get the pick back that it cost to get him in two years as a comp pick...I think you do that deal, at least in a vacuum, obviously other resignings that need to happen.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Thought of this while listening to Brandon Beane’s press conference about Joe Schoen (by the way, Beane put him over like a million dollars)

Am I correct, in assuming in was Ted Marchibroda signing with Indianapolis 31 years ago!?!?!?

I know former Bills head coaches have gotten jobs after leaving Buffalo (Wade, Gregggggg, Mularkey, St, Doug), but I can’t remember a time when a current Bills OC or DC was hired by another team.  

In fact, outside of Daboll and Frazier, I believe that only assistants to even get looks were Ted Cottrell and Jerry Gray…. maybe Elijah Pitts?  

Still, if I’m correct that’s a pretty damning statistic given the state of the franchise over the past 3 decades before McDermott.  The logical solution is when teams fail to make the playoffs if the HC does take the fall, the coordinators do.  There probably wasn’t one who was successful enough to keep his job

Also, out of the 4 consecutive Super Bowl trips, how was Marchibroda the only assistant to get a head coaching gig?  

And also outside of Brian Gaine in 2018 and now Schoen, I don’t think the Bills have had someone from the front office leave GM.  

Bill Polian became GM in Carolina then GM in Indy and won a SB with Peyton Manning.  I believe the biggest reason for the drought was Ralph firing Polian.  If he was still bringing in draft talent maybe we would have drafted Peyton since Polian drafted him for the Colts.

And then maybe NE never dominates for 2 decades. Maybe Peyton/Brady in same division their h2h games mirror Kelly/Marino. Change a few things we avoid the drought.  

Edited by AuntieEm

14 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

While you are not wrong, I’m going to have to also reference the guys that they’ve kept in-house. They are homegrown towns, but the re-signing of White, Milano and Allen were very good signs. These three were guys that we historically would’ve had far greater risk of losing, and in the case of Tre and Milano, would have most definitely lost.

This just simply CANNOT be overstated.  These in-house re-signings were effing huge, IMO.  Matter of fact, I had already emotionally moved on from Milano, grieved his loss, had begun to attend support groups for those coping with the death of a loved one, because I KNEW there was no way we'd re-sign him. When I got the text message notification that we had re-signed Milano, I literally lost my cookies.  I was ecstatic, but even more so, I was befuddled.  And not only did we re-sign him, he gave us a hometown discount!  

It's moves like these that truly reflect the change in culture, the organization as a whole.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

Bill Polian became GM in Carolina then GM in Indy and won a SB with Peyton Manning.  I believe the biggest reason for the drought was Ralph firing Polian.  If he was still bringing in draft talent maybe we would have drafted Peyton since Polian drafted him for the Colts.

And then maybe NE never dominates for 2 decades. Maybe Peyton/Brady in same division their h2h games mirror Kelly/Marino. Change a few things we avoid the drought.  

I don't agree with the logic here.  Polian would've had to have been terrible at his job for five years in order to get the #1 pick in 1998.  He would've been fired long before then.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.