Giants interview Schoen for their GM job [Edit: Now hired by Giants as GM]

BillsMafi$

5 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

How do you know any of these guys can capably replace Schoen - all the things he does and all the things he excels at?

My thought is that a team is only as good as it's players.  That means the scouting/personnel team too.  We don't want to lose any of our best players and that definitely includes Schoen.  

I have full confidence in McDermott but I would still worry if Allen left the Bills for another team.

Schoen is potentially moving on for a promotion and we really can't control that. The opportunity to run his own operation - it's every football executive's dream to have the power. I'm not saying I want to lose Schoen, but we can't control that. 

Beane has done a very good job identifying front office personnel and assembling a front office staff that have plenty of experience. 

• Dan Morgan is now an AGM in Carolina.
  • Brian Gaine was the GM in Houston. Gaine got caught up in the bull#### in Houston. He was more than capable of running an entire organization - why would I think he's incapable of being Beane's new right-hand man?
  • Lake Dawson was the right-hand man in Tennesse for 5 years before there was some turnover

Terrance Gray and Malik Boyd have a wealth of experience and Boyd has gotten GM interviews in the past. They've gone out and brought in some younger guys like Curtis Rukavina to learn underneath these guys. At the end of the day, it's a highly collaborative approach at OBD, one that ensures that guys understand how everything works. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I don’t touch this job with a 30 foot pole unless they fire the HC.

You have a ton of work to do and a Dead Man Walking at coach that could impact everything you do in the first year.

I want a place to start from scratch.

I'll touch it. Multi million dollar contract guaranteed. Big time job at a premier franchise. I'll take it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I'll touch it. Multi million dollar contract guaranteed. Big time job at a premier franchise. I'll take it. 

Nope rather be the right fit than go in - make some money and fail and maybe never get a shot again.

He is young making good money and has lots of opportunities.  This feels like a potential career destroyer if things go poorly - with a HC the players do not respect.

2 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Schoen is potentially moving on for a promotion and we really can't control that. The opportunity to run his own operation - it's every football executive's dream to have the power. I'm not saying I want to lose Schoen, but we can't control that. 

Beane has done a very good job identifying front office personnel and assembling a front office staff that have plenty of experience. 

• Dan Morgan is now an AGM in Carolina.
  • Brian Gaine was the GM in Houston. Gaine got caught up in the bull#### in Houston. He was more than capable of running an entire organization - why would I think he's incapable of being Beane's new right-hand man?
  • Lake Dawson was the right-hand man in Tennesse for 5 years before there was some turnover

Terrance Gray and Malik Boyd have a wealth of experience and Boyd has gotten GM interviews in the past. They've gone out and brought in some younger guys like Curtis Rukavina to learn underneath these guys. At the end of the day, it's a highly collaborative approach at OBD, one that ensures that guys understand how everything works. 

They have good guys. No doubt. That is where Terry's money helps. We are one of the best paying organisations in the NFL for front office guys. But losing Schoen hurts. I have been told by two separate people he is the best talent evaluator on the Bills and I also believe that he has Beane's total 100% trust in a way that only he and I think Dan Morgan do. 

It would be a loss. Not the end of the world or anything but a loss all the same. But as you allude to it is the price of success. Teams want some of what you have and nobody would begrudge Schoen the shot. He has earned it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.