Bills finished 6th in rushing(5th in YPC) and 11th in passing

Big Turk

Just now, BuffaloRebound said:

I think we can live with Allen running more in the playoffs and in some huge regular season games, but we gotta get a better non-QB running game to protect the franchise QB.  

I agree 💯.  It’s looked improved in recent weeks…..but vs bad defenses.  Not sure I confidant I am in our run game (minus 17) vs a top 12 run D

1 minute ago, ArtVandalay said:

You're missing the point. We are talking about a team being fit to win a super bowl.

The Colts don't have good QB play, very different team and they play in a dome. 

The Bills need to run especially in cold weather. Their RBs were so ineffective it hurt the team.  Hopefully the improvement sticks but it is still the weakness of this team and may doom us in poor weather.

Why does a rb stuffing the ball between the tackles need to be what our running game looks like is the part I’m hung up on…there’s tons of ways to threaten run…that is just so terribly antiquated and not very successful for teams without an absolute freak of nature at rb

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Just not born out in any situation really...only times when we have 1st and under 10 yards to go.

On 1st and 10, we rushed 193 times for 849 yards, 4.4 YPC

On 2nd and 1-3, we averaged 4.1 YPC 

On 2nd and 4-6, we averaged 4.8 YPC

On 2nd and 7-9, we averaged 5.8 YPC. 

The only place we were poor in running the ball was in the redzone and especially inside the opponent 10 yard line where we averaged 3.3 YPC and 2.2 YPC respectively.  That's where we need to improve.  On rushes between the 20's we averaged over 5 YPC

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2021_splits.htm#down_distance_splits

How are their red zone numbers in comparison to other teams?

22 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

You're missing the point. We are talking about a team being fit to win a super bowl.

The Colts don't have good QB play, very different team and they play in a dome. 

The Bills need to run especially in cold weather. Their RBs were so ineffective it hurt the team.  Hopefully the improvement sticks but it is still the weakness of this team and may doom us in poor weather.

Sounds like "get off my lawn" guy.

Join us in the 2021 version of the NFL not 1973 version that you apparently still reside in.

Edited by Big Turk

30 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Well remove Allen them show the numbers.  Also, the issue is that we also choose not to run, like vs TB we didn't have a single RB run in the 1H.

Motor was #16 in the league rushing this year. He was 59 yards short of being #10, while every rusher ahead of him had significantly more carries. 

I agree that there were many games where we chose not to run. But you can't subtract Allen's yardage and say it doesn't count. 

Only 5 teams had more rushing yards, because we have Allen + Singletary. Only two of those teams are in the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I don’t think anybody wants to see Josh run the ball 122 times per year, especially Pegula and Mcdermott.  

The problem isn’t him running, it’s the hits he takes. Just get down and stop trying to barrel through guys for a few extra meaningless yards. 

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Remove Josh Allen stats and the Bills are 31st in rushing yards with 1446 and 20th in YPC 4.27.

Because the entire point everyone has been saying all year is the Bills can't run outside of Allen, he needs a run game and doesn't have one unless he does it himself. 

Obviously we have massive improvements down the stretch that could be a difference maker in the playoffs now. 

This is just ridiculous.🤦‍♂️

48 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I agree 💯.  It’s looked improved in recent weeks…..but vs bad defenses.  Not sure I confidant I am in our run game (minus 17) vs a top 12 run D

Bills ran 7 times for 64 yards against Tampa Bay outside of 17.

19 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

The problem isn’t him running, it’s the hits he takes. Just get down and stop trying to barrel through guys for a few extra meaningless yards. 

He doesn't take all that many hits, TBH

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Please stop with these "Here is our overall stat from the entire season so there must not be a problem" posts. The cumulative stats tell us NOTHING.

If folks dont see a huge consistency problem with the way our Offense operates then that's on you.

Decision making and playcalling in very specific times is the issue. Not the overall stats that were heavily padded by a few blowouts against cupcakes.

The cumulative stats are important. Every team has moments of inconsistency. Some more than others. You will never get perfection. Deal with it. I don't see a consistency issue and that's on me. Doesn't mean you're right. you just have an opinion. Like everyone else. 

This needs to be looked at in context of other playoff teams. Here are the yardage rankings from NFL.com, ordered by passing rank:

Bucs: 1st pass, 26th rush

Dallas: 3rd pass, 9th rush

KC: 4th pass, 16th rush

Rams: 5th pass, 25th rush

Raiders: 6th pass, 28th rush

Bengals: 7th pass, 23rd rush

Cardinals: 8th pass, 10th rush

Packers: 9th pass, 18th rush

Bills: 11th pass, 6th rush

49ers: 12th pass, 7th rush

Patriots: 14th pass, 8th rush

Steelers: 15th pass, 29th rush

Titans: 23rd pass, 5th rush

Eagles: 29th pass, 1st rush

From this, it does appear that improving our YPA in the passing game would be our best bet for more overall offensive consistency. If there are any offenses we might want to be "more like" they are all above us in the passing stats. As far as shifting some of the rushing burden from Josh to the RBs that would be best for our long term success, but in the end we did well on the ground overall. 

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

So much for the people who claim we can't run the ball. Actually finished ahead of the Patriots in both yards and YPC.

The passing game has not been great this year. Chew on that for a few minutes.

And Allen has still thrown for 4.4k yards and 36 TDs.

29 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Ehh, Josh takes some hits, but none are as destructive and damaging as the type of hits Cam was taking. Josh has a better way of dishing it out and absorbing the hit than just getting crushed like other QBs.

It's always a concern with him running, but I'm less concerned than I would be with some other players.

So much for the people who claim we can't run the ball. Actually finished ahead of the Patriots in both yards and YPC.

I don't think you understood  what people were saying.  The passing game has actually been really good this year. Bad weather played a part and still Josh put up huge passing numbers.

Edited by TBBills

9 minutes ago, TBBills said:

I don't think you understood  what people were saying.  The passing game has actually been really good this year. Bad weather played a part and still Josh put up huge passing numbers.

No...last year the passing game was great. Allen put up more yards in less games. This year it took a step back.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

No...last year the passing game was great. Allen put up more yards in less games. This year it took a step back.

Not really with the bad weather games, also compared to the rest of the league b.c you cannot really compare last year. You need to compare to the league this year.

Edited by TBBills

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

How many bad weather games were there last year? I can’t remember one besides the Ravens in the playoffs.

We’ve had a lot more this year. Like 1/3 of the games where the opposing QB struggled as well (or weren’t allowed to throw at all, lol).

Some of us have been pointing out that we can run the ball all year long.

The folks who think we are terrible at it are the same ones who write "Analytics, shamalytics" and so on, and think Justin Herbert is overrated and the Chargers have a bad coach.

And the Bills' roster needs to be stripped down and made to be "tougher."

1 minute ago, TBBills said:

Not really with the bad weather games, also compared to the rest of the league b.c you cannot really compare last year. You need to compare to the league this year.

OK.  There were 10 teams that finished with more passing yards than the Bills did this year. Last year there were only 2 teams that did.

There were 7 teams that finished with more passing TDs than the Bills did this year.  Last year there were only 2 teams that did.  

Allen threw more interceptions this year, fewer TDs, had a lower completion percentage, and MUCH lower Y/A(from 8 to 6.8 from 5th to 23rd this year).  

Not sure on what basis you claim it wasn't a step back but literally there is no statistical category the Bills were better in this year passing than last year.

• Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.