Bills finished 6th in rushing(5th in YPC) and 11th in passing

Big Turk

The issue has been how can the Bills field a better offense than the one they're playing against in very windy conditions at the Ralph.

The issue has been resolved with an RPO offense featuring a running QB. Like it, don't like it, that's the way we are going and we are going to win. 

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The issue is we have trouble running the ball in obvious running situations.  Allen's scrambles in passing situations account for the strong rushing numbers.  But that's not a sustainable approach to offense in the playoffs.

Just not born out in any situation really...only times when we have 1st and under 10 yards to go.

On 1st and 10, we rushed 193 times for 849 yards, 4.4 YPC

On 2nd and 1-3, we averaged 4.1 YPC 

On 2nd and 4-6, we averaged 4.8 YPC

On 2nd and 7-9, we averaged 5.8 YPC. 

The only place we were poor in running the ball was in the redzone and especially inside the opponent 10 yard line where we averaged 3.3 YPC and 2.2 YPC respectively.  That's where we need to improve.  On rushes between the 20's we averaged over 5 YPC

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2021_splits.htm#down_distance_splits

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Please stop with these "Here is our overall stat from the entire season so there must not be a problem" posts. The cumulative stats tell us NOTHING.

If folks dont see a huge consistency problem with the way our Offense operates then that's on you.

Decision making and playcalling in very specific times is the issue. Not the overall stats that were heavily padded by a few blowouts against cupcakes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

The biggest gripe people will have is that nearly 40% of the rushing is done by our QB. He attributed 770 yards out of 2210 total rush yards this year. Situationally it’s fine of course, but our lead rusher Singletary had only 100 more yards than Josh. 

Honestly i just wish we could execute runs when needed by the guys employed to do so. Devin has looked great this year when he can be consistently used. Moss hasn’t been the same back since his injury last year (something I think people gloss over or forget entirely). 

Despite his 4.6 YPC, nobody fears Singletary. I’m not sure why he isn’t more heavily involved, but I suspect it may do with his butterfingers he has the previous 2 years. We all know McD hates fumbles.

Moss is like Frank Gore was for us… if you need 2 yards, he will get 2 yards. If you need 4 yards, he will get you 2 yards. He won’t fumble though!

Breida is there. That’s about it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Please stop with these "Here is our overall stat from the entire season so there must not be a problem" posts. The cumulative stats tell us NOTHING.

If folks dont see a huge consistency problem with the way our Offense operates then that's on you.

Decision making and playcalling in very specific times is the issue. Not the overall stats that were heavily padded by a few blowouts against cupcakes.

The only place where we struggle to run the ball well is inside the redzone, which is something that needs to be addressed either via playcalls or via offensive line. 

3 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

The biggest gripe people will have is that nearly 40% of the rushing is done by our QB. He attributed 770 yards out of 2210 total rush yards this year. Situationally it’s fine of course, but our lead rusher Singletary had only 100 more yards than Josh. 

Honestly i just wish we could execute runs when needed by the guys employed to do so. Devin has looked great this year when he can be consistently used. Moss hasn’t been the same back since his injury last year (something I think people gloss over or forget entirely). 

Despite his 4.6 YPC, nobody fears Singletary. I’m not sure why he isn’t more heavily involved, but I suspect it may do with his butterfingers he has the previous 2 years. We all know McD hates fumbles.

Moss is like Frank Gore was for us… if you need 2 yards, he will get 2 yards. If you need 4 yards, he will get you 2 yards. He won’t fumble though!

Breida is there. That’s about it.

Welcome to the new NFL.  Get used to it.

Edited by Big Turk

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The issue is we have trouble running the ball in obvious running situations.  Allen's scrambles in passing situations account for the strong rushing numbers.  But that's not a sustainable approach to offense in the playoffs.

I agree with half of this.  We haven't been great at running the ball in obvious running situations but I do think that Allen running the ball can be sustained over 4 games.  

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I don’t think Allen scrambled as much this year compared to last year…a decent amount of our success was designed qb runs.  We also iced quite a few games late running the ball with authority.  

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

So much for the people who claim we can't run the ball. Actually finished ahead of the Patriots in both yards and YPC.

The passing game has not been great this year. Chew on that for a few minutes.

Well remove Allen them show the numbers.  Also, the issue is that we also choose not to run, like vs TB we didn't have a single RB run in the 1H.

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I don’t think anybody wants to see Josh run the ball 122 times per year, especially Pegula and Mcdermott.  

I’d love to see him run that much in the playoffs. His running ability is probably the best thing our O has going for it. He consistently beats the first man in front of him.  Get him moving on almost every pass play and give him the opportunity to run the ball.  Easier said than done, but that’s when he’s at his best imo

4 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Well remove Allen them show the numbers.  Also, the issue is that we also choose not to run, like vs TB we didn't have a single RB run in the 1H.

Why in the modern nfl are you just ignoring qb rushing though…that’s the thing I never understand.  Imagine ravens or cardinals fans saying that lol also singletary was towards the top of the league in ypc

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

So much for the people who claim we can't run the ball. Actually finished ahead of the Patriots in both yards and YPC.

The passing game has not been great this year. Chew on that for a few minutes.

Remove Josh Allen stats and the Bills are 31st in rushing yards with 1446 and 20th in YPC 4.27.

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Why in the modern nfl are you just ignoring qb rushing though…that’s the thing I never understand.  Imagine ravens or cardinals fans saying that lol also singletary was towards the top of the league in ypc

Because the entire point everyone has been saying all year is the Bills can't run outside of Allen, he needs a run game and doesn't have one unless he does it himself. 

Obviously we have massive improvements down the stretch that could be a difference maker in the playoffs now. 

Edited by ArtVandalay

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’d love to see him run that much in the playoffs. His running ability is probably the best thing our O has going for it. He consistently beats the first man in front of him.  Get him moving on almost every pass play and give him the opportunity to run the ball.  Easier said than done, but that’s when he’s at his best imo

I think we can live with Allen running more in the playoffs and in some huge regular season games, but we gotta get a better non-QB running game to protect the franchise QB.  

• Agree 1

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

The colts had one of the best performances by a rb in regular season history and where are they 

You're missing the point. We are talking about a team being fit to win a super bowl.

The Colts don't have good QB play, very different team and they play in a dome. 

The Bills need to run especially in cold weather. Their RBs were so ineffective it hurt the team.  Hopefully the improvement sticks but it is still the weakness of this team and may doom us in poor weather.

11 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

It's the modern NFL,  that makes no sense...QB running has become a huge part of the run game for many teams.

12 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Remove Josh Allen stats and the Bills are 31st in rushing yards with 1446 and 20th in YPC 4.27.

Because the entire point everyone has been saying all year is the Bills can't run outside of Allen, he needs a run game and doesn't have one unless he does it himself. 

Obviously we have massive improvements down the stretch that could be a difference maker in the playoffs now. 

The point is kind of false though…singletary averaged 4.6 ypc in the regular season that’s pretty darn good especially for a dude that isn’t really built to break a huge 80 yard run.  I don’t understand why a team with all these receiving weapons would want to pound the rock 35 times a game.  We’ve just got a kind of warped sense of what a successful running game looks like because the colts absolutely obliterated us then the pats snuck out that wind game win 

seems like people blame us not being able to run when we run the ball a couple of times on a series then go 3 and out but even the most successful rushing team gets bottled up a lot of the time if you’re looking at each play.  Like when a guy has 25 carries for 125 yards a good 10 of those could be for no or little gain.  and when you’ve got the offensive weapons we do that is not always going to give you the best chance to win 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.