Number 1 ranked 2021 Buffalo Bills Defense. Yards and points!

Matt_In_NH

I saw a lot more hits today than I've seen all season. Looked to me like the refs were a little tighter with flags today. Have a feeling that will carry over into the first couple rounds of the playoffs. I saw Jimmy G get hit in the head no call, Herbert smacked multiple times tonight after releasing the ball. Jacob's getting pulled down by his face mask no call. Nfl focuses on safety early in the year but once playoffs start they let them play more than not. Our D can be physical I like our chances. 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

That is probably because your perception of what is possible on defense in the NFL of 2021 is out of whack. Dominant defense is impossible to play. There hasn't been one since the LOB broke up in Seattle in about 2015. The best you can do in the league now is play restriction defense. And the Bills play that exceptionally.

No, probably not. But there isn't a defense in the NFL I would trust in that situation because the NFL doesn't want a stop there. It wants a score. Watch the end of that Raiders and Chargers game. The game is heavily slanted in favour of offense now. If you are one score up against a top 10 Quarterback with 2 minutes to play and they have the ball you lose about 90% of the time. That is the league. 

Spot on, Gunner.  What the Bills did on defense this season is indeed something to be recognized and appreciated for its rarity.  I don’t know if I agree with the 90% number in your example, but it sure seems more likely than not these days.

Thankfully when the Bills win they win by double digits!

(I joke, because you’d expect for there to be close games in the playoffs)

4 minutes ago, eball said:

Spot on, Gunner.  What the Bills did on defense this season is indeed something to be recognized and appreciated for its rarity.  I don’t know if I agree with the 90% number in your example, but it sure seems more likely than not these days.

Thankfully when the Bills win they win by double digits!

(I joke, because you’d expect for there to be close games in the playoffs)

90% was plucked out of the air... let's just say it is very high. 

• Like (+1) 1

The oft repeated cliche about our bad run D just doesn’t have steam. We’re talking just a few big plays that, if we hadn’t overcommitted on, we’d have two more wins.

You can’t stop everything. Darrick Henry and Jon Taylor excluded, this team has been decent against the run.

This D is truly elite and we’ve seen sacks lately to boot. We may not stuff power run teams but you don’t have the highest differential in the league on a fluke.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Just in Atlanta said:

The oft repeated cliche about our bad run D just doesn’t have steam. We’re talking just a few big plays that, if we hadn’t overcommitted on, we’d have two more wins.

You can’t stop everything. Darrick Henry and Jon Taylor excluded, this team has been decent against the run.

This D is truly elite and we’ve seen sacks lately to boot. We may not stuff power run teams but you don’t have the highest differential in the league on a fluke.

They are middle of the pack in rush yards against, not sure about YPC....there weakness has been giving up big plays so if they can limit that next week they should be able to get the W.

14 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Ed Oliver really came on strong during the second half of the season...if Rousseau develops and takes a nice jump next year our Defense could be scary.  We just need to have a consistent pass rush...our secondary is solid.

When he broke through and hit Wilson while handing the ball off, that's what I had always seen out of him at UH when living in Houston.

Finding his groove...and when he does, watch out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Kaenon said:

When he broke through and hit Wilson while handing the ball off, that's what I had always seen out of him at UH when living in Houston.

Finding his groove...and when he does, watch out.

His explosiveness and quickness off the snap is unbelievable..reminds me a little bit of Bruce Smith 

15 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Ed Oliver really came on strong during the second half of the season...if Rousseau develops and takes a nice jump next year our Defense could be scary.  We just need to have a consistent pass rush...our secondary is solid.

Even Basham had a couple good plays yesterday. 

I’m definitely someone that struggles to give our Defense a ton of credit given the opponents we’ve faced, but that was dominant no matter how you slice it yesterday.  

Our DL is starting to show flashes down the stretch.  If they can start getting consistent pressure that periodically gets home - that’s a game changer, and one that could carry this team through the Playoffs into the Super Bowl.  

Oliver and Phillips specifically have been flashing in the middle of this DL.  

Anyone who is still spouting the "defense isn't as good as its stats indicate" line is just flat out wrong at this point.

You can say that in week 4 or week 7 or whatever, but after a SEVENTEEN GAME sample size...there's no denying it any more.

Number 1 in points AND yards allowed is elite. Period. Best defense in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.