Questions Surrounding a New Stadium in OP .

T master

10 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

So other comments weren't honest?  

Basically what you are saying when Bills going into a slump, all teams do eventually, and have a dome there will not be anything interesting to talk about.  You will would fail debate classes.

It's not class, it's TV or radio. Ratings rule the day. 

On 2/11/2022 at 10:41 PM, BUFFALOBART said:

You still haven't provided data on those 'Negotiated PLAs', and how Unions will 'drive up costs'.

Construction is expensive everywhere. Period.

.................Perhaps, the Bills should hire Migrants to build the Stadium??? (Sarcasm button is now off)

Just speaking as someone with experience on the funding / cost control side of government funded projects. PLAs are usually cheaper than Prevailing Wage and are more likely on a huge project like this, soy that's good. But PLAs are still more expensive than non-union private sector construction labor rates which are still WAY higher than minimum wage. It depends on the project and availability of labor so I don't have a cheat sheet to factor in all the variables.

On 1/21/2022 at 5:57 PM, LeGOATski said:

Retractable roofs are for hot climates where you need the stadium to be closed and air conditioned for most of the year. Domes are also truly meant for hot climates, not cold.

If you close your retractable roof because of a blizzard, well then you just have a bunch of snow on top of your (now non-) retractable roof and it's a huge pain in the ass.

If they really wanted to (and didn't mind spending the money) a clear ETFE plastic roof or canopy, like the one in Minnesota, is the more elegant solution in a cold climate.

Minnesota's stadium is beautiful. I know it's not realistic but my first and second choice would be something very similar to their stadium 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Minnesota's stadium is beautiful. I know it's not realistic but my first and second choice would be something very similar to their stadium 

Buffalo has a solar industry  I'd like to see design which has Bills stadium and maybe even some parking covers with solar panels.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/11/2022 at 4:04 PM, 4_kidd_4 said:

Didn’t it come out already that Pegulas prefer open air, and so does the league from a marketing standpoint?

Are people still harping on the dome thing?  It’s not gonna happen.

The NFL loves late season outdoor games.  They love snow.

• Agree 1

On 2/11/2022 at 9:41 PM, BUFFALOBART said:

You still haven't provided data on those 'Negotiated PLAs', and how Unions will 'drive up costs'.

Construction is expensive everywhere. Period.

.................Perhaps, the Bills should hire Migrants to build the Stadium??? (Sarcasm button is now off)

Most anything union today is going to be more expensive just because they take advantage of being union & the union allows it .

I remember a man got caught that worked at a GM plant sleeping on the job & was sent home for 3 days with no pay only to have the union get him back on the job with pay + some BS about emotional pay for being off ????? 

I also recall when my dad worked at that same GM plant and he first started was only making like $3.85 per hour so that tells you how long ago it was .

Something on a line he was working on had broke & it was something he easily could have fixed in a matter of minutes but because it being a union plant the line had to shut down for the better part of 2 hrs until what ever person for that union specific job had come to fix it .

Those are the type of things that run up costs in union projects and many others . Construction is the same sure i can understand if it is something like a highly specialized piece of the construction like telecommunications or electrical i get it but when it comes to less skilled jobs those in the higher jobs will be the first to say "That's not my job" !!

So things will be stopped to wait for who ever is in that particular position to do that particular job even if it is a very small thing to do that would take very little time to accomplish but those people will sit while still getting paid & do nothing while waiting for that person to show up those are all added expense .

There have like unions been many things started with the intent to benefit people but like most things where humans are involved once they find a way to abuse it that's when it all goes south sometimes literally to save money in right to work states .

And no i'm not against unions i just see them for what they are in a lot of different stories i have heard over my lifetime that has caused much higher prices of products because of those actions .

• Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

19 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Yes. "A long time ago". Not 'now'.

We can cherry pick negative incidents in any workplace.

The Media brainwash about Unions, hurts the very people who buy into it.

Sorry but i guess we will have to agree to disagree i personally have a nephew that has recently went into a union he is in his 30's and has taken every available course when given by the union in his apprenticeship and is now a foremen after only being in this union for 4 years .

The older guys that have been in this union over 15+ yrs complain because my nephew is always the first to get called for work & has been promoted to foreman .

He has been given a brand new truck & tools but the others can't figure out why all the while they drag a** &  sit smoking their cigs every break as they try to avoid my nephew now being the foreman while he is getting the bulk of the work done on these jobs.

And most of the younger people coming up are taught by this work ethic by these older guys that know how to abuse the time at work so it still happens every day which is added time & cost to getting the jobs done . 

And i have other UAW people i know that are still working & still screwing the system so it's not gotten any better that i can see or have heard but that's just me i guess . But my opinion is not from any media it's from stories of those actually involved in their unions and their stories of abuse within .

Edited by T master

9 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

So, the 'old guys' are abusing the system, and have not advanced, as a result. Your Nephew, busts his ass, and is being recognized. Good for him. Why reward Sloth? A Union is not going to condone that crap, in the 21st. century.  Your other example, is otherwise, "I heard this from a drinking buddy', hearsay.

I worked in a Union 'Shop' for 2/3rds of my working career. I worked hard at my job, and no one had to tell me to do so. Every year, a few dozen people were actually fired 'with cause', for violating security protocols.

All that I had/have to show for it, was a pretty good salary, a good vacation and sick time package, excellent health insurance, and even a modest pension.

I truly hope that it has changed because it's just human nature for some to take advantage of a good thing i just know from what i have been told & it's mostly UAW people that screwed the pooch . I'm sure there are a few left overs but i hope that changes for the better .

But with todays youth's work ethic i'm not quite convinced that the future of todays work force will be anything near what it once was . But we can hope .

22 hours ago, T master said:

I truly hope that it has changed because it's just human nature for some to take advantage of a good thing i just know from what i have been told & it's mostly UAW people that screwed the pooch . I'm sure there are a few left overs but i hope that changes for the better .

But with todays youth's work ethic i'm not quite convinced that the future of todays work force will be anything near what it once was . But we can hope .

There's a difference between anecdotal evidence (e.g., "I've been told") and empirical data. Here are a couple of rigorous peer-reviewed scientific studies - one of them, a forty-year longitudinal study - that account for a multitude of variables:

https://www.fastcompany.com/90227665/the-economy-is-booming-your-salary-is-not-blame-the-decline-of-unions

https://www.epi.org/publication/right-to-work-states-have-lower-wages/

https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/620699

tl;dr version: Unions benefit workers in both union and non-union shops. Why the latter? Because non-union shops need to compete with union shops for employees, so they offer decent wages and working conditions to attract good employees and/or to discourage their employees from unionizing.

Edited by WhoTom
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

32 minutes ago, Greatdane21 said:

It is doubtful that anything but the portable equipment, folding tables, benches etc can be reused. The rest will either be sold at auction or donated (turf) new stadium everything should be new . Maybe a big bills yard sale just before the new stadium opens.

Folding tables can't be reused. Once you jump through it, it's done dude.

9 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Why do you think it is infighting?

I’m old enough to remember when the new dome stadium got killed prior to Rich Stadium because the politics made a mess of the whole thing so the team  had to scramble to meet the League’s deadline and we got the current facility. I’m praying the same thing doesn’t happen again as the various factions position themselves for a piece of the ‘action’. 

It is eerily silent on the stadium front, which worries me. 

We heard a lot more a few months ago, now that their Jan 1 artificial deadline has passed it's total silence. 

I'm a Buffalo sports fan. If the Bills were up 18 points with 5 minutes to go in the Super Bowl I would be the guy saying "it's still only 2 TDs, 2 2 point conversions and a FG at the end...." 

Edited by TheFunPolice

In the grand scheme of things, it's probably nickels and dimes we're talking about with these things.

Also get into timing issues.  Likely the Bills will play out some season in the old stadium and the following summer be in the new one, so would give them basically about six months to move everything if being reused.  Could that be done in six months, likely yes, but again the grand scheme, is it worth it?

Also technology years are like dog years.  So if the screens are one year old that's like 7 year old technology.

On 1/20/2022 at 2:33 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Pure football is not in a dome end of discussion

I've played coached and scouted for 30 plus years and I've never heard anybody around the game say that pure football has to be played in a dome

And Josh allen threw the ball pretty damn well Saturday night .. and I've seen a lot of quarterbacks throw well in not great conditions 

And I included catching in pure football so throwing is obviously included.. it's part of execution  in bad weather.. that's what makes it grand .. it's a beautiful sport

We just saw a perfect performance in -5°.. the weather didn't effect Josh

it was not windy. That is the biggest factor.

On 2/15/2022 at 4:02 PM, TheFunPolice said:

It is eerily silent on the stadium front, which worries me. 

We heard a lot more a few months ago, now that their Jan 1 artificial deadline has passed it's total silence. 

I'm a Buffalo sports fan. If the Bills were up 18 points with 5 minutes to go in the Super Bowl I would be the guy saying "it's still only 2 TDs, 2 2 point conversions and a FG at the end...." 

After 13 seconds I won't consider any lead safe until the game goes final. The Bills could be up 35-0 at the 2 minute warning and I still won't consider it a win until those 2 minutes are over.  As for the stadium the silence could be a good thing. Could mean things are getting done behind closed doors. They are not going to give an update over every little detail thru the media. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.