NY Times to buy The Athletic for ….

hemma

7 minutes ago, Demongyz said:

Adding politics and social belief systems into sports thus removing the escape

The sheer irony of the "keep politics out of sports" crowd injecting this thread with as much political commentary as possible is just, well, entirely expected.  Face it, you want politics in everything.  But only certain politics. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 7

Some of you are so close minded. I subscribe to the Athletic, the NYT and the WSJ. My politics are pretty opposite of the NYT on most issues but you have to be willing to listen to other points of view even if you disagree with them. If the Athletic becomes some woke sports app than yeah, I’ll bail but I highly doubt that will happen. The Times isn’t buying the app to try and make converts. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

The sheer irony of the "keep politics out of sports" crowd injecting this thread with as much political commentary as possible is just, well, entirely expected.  Face it, you want politics in everything.  But only certain politics. 

Hard when all you see is the bastardization of everything you once enjoyed.  It's hard being a liberal these days.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

This is exactly it.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Here’s a copy of the email I received as a subscriber:

Today marks an incredible milestone for The Athletic. We are thrilled to announce that we have entered into an agreement to be acquired by The New York Times Company, a transaction that is expected to close in the first quarter of 2022. 

The New York Times Company has set the standard for excellence in journalism, and as we look towards the future, their support will enable us to continue producing the best sports coverage on earth for an even wider audience.

Nothing about your The Athletic subscription is changing at this time. We will continue to invest in our world-class newsroom and the local and national coverage you can’t get anywhere else.

We cannot mark this important moment without offering our profound gratitude to you, our subscribers. When we founded the company in 2016, we hoped to become the sports page for every city worldwide. Your readership and unwavering support have allowed us to hire the best people in the business who in turn create the best sports content in the world.

Here’s to the future of The Athletic with The New York Times Company behind us. Thank you for believing in the power of great sports journalism and for supporting us as we embark on this new chapter. Onward!

Adam & Alex

Co-Founders of The Athletic 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, AmishRifle said:

Here’s a copy of the email I received as a subscriber:

Today marks an incredible milestone for The Athletic. We are thrilled to announce that we have entered into an agreement to be acquired by The New York Times Company, a transaction that is expected to close in the first quarter of 2022. 

The New York Times Company has set the standard for excellence in journalism, and as we look towards the future, their support will enable us to continue producing the best sports coverage on earth for an even wider audience.

Nothing about your The Athletic subscription is changing at this time. We will continue to invest in our world-class newsroom and the local and national coverage you can’t get anywhere else.

We cannot mark this important moment without offering our profound gratitude to you, our subscribers. When we founded the company in 2016, we hoped to become the sports page for every city worldwide. Your readership and unwavering support have allowed us to hire the best people in the business who in turn create the best sports content in the world.

Here’s to the future of The Athletic with The New York Times Company behind us. Thank you for believing in the power of great sports journalism and for supporting us as we embark on this new chapter. Onward!

Adam & Alex

Co-Founders of The Athletic 

And they do indeed provide great sports journalism. It isn't just better than what is now available for free. It is better than what has ever been available for free. 

• Like (+1) 7

1 hour ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

Even an Aussie knows what a leftist propaganda machine the NYT is.

Despite this, I will continue to subscribe to the Athletic as long as the content remains high quality, football-focused and woke free.

It used to be. That changed a few years back. It now leans pretty far to the right, especially  the opinion section.

• Haha (+1) 6

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

1.)  I'm a subscriber of The Athletic.

2.)  I think it's fantastic.

3.)  I will never subscribe to the NY Times.

4.)  If the NY Times tries to insert any of its crap into The Athletic, I'm gone.

Well said I agree 100%. Just what I don’t want Liberal NY BS!!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Quite the “I have a big brain” post by you here.  

Fans frustrated a politically slanted journalistic organization bought out a publication they enjoy, therefore hoping they keep politics out of it is not injecting politics. 

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 7

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.