Now that Week 18 is actually here, do you like having the extra game or not?

BillsPride12

22 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I mean your case is kind of dead in the water based on what you said.  

There are a TON of playoff implications this final weekend in both the NFC and AFC.  I would say the NFL got exactly what they wanted out of this.  

I still think it should have stayed the way it was for player safety reasons, continuity with the record books, etc.  But hard to argue what you just said given the playoff picture is still so unsettled and is going to make for a lot of final week drama.

this is EXACTLY what the NFL wanted. 

• Agree 2

Hey, whatever they wanna do is fine. I’m of the opinion to have 18 games, one preseason game and two byes during the season. Bump rosters up to 58, keep the larger practice squad, and tweak a little more with IR vs. inactive list, and broaden the ability to come back after injury because not everything is a season-ended like it was back in the day. I think that’s where the league wants to get to, but this is a middle way trial run for the CBA issues.

The expanding season is another reason why I’m pro-retractable roof. Games (not just the Super Bowl) are going to go into February soon.

Edited by UConn James
  • Like (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I mean your case is kind of dead in the water based on what you said.  

There are a TON of playoff implications this final weekend in both the NFC and AFC.  I would say the NFL got exactly what they wanted out of this.  

I still think it should have stayed the way it was for player safety reasons, continuity with the record books, etc.  But hard to argue what you just said given the playoff picture is still so unsettled and is going to make for a lot of final week drama.

But there would have been a TON of playoff implications going into last weekend if that was the final weekend so I don't really agree with this argument either but I get your point.

27 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Why do you hate football?

Love it...but would much rather be anticipating playoff football than another regular season game going into this weekend

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, BillsPride12 said:

But there would have been a TON of playoff implications going into last weekend if that was the final weekend so I don't really agree with this argument either but I get your point.

I get that, but because of the extra game there are more teams alive than there would have been based on last weeks results.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

48 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I don’t have a problem with it, except that due to having two home games to close out the season, it pushes a season ender deeper into the winter months. Plenty of playoff positioning excitement this year though … just make it an even 18 games moving forward, with perhaps an extra bye week

It pushes it 1 week 'deeper'.

If the 17th game hadn't happened the Bills would likely not win the division. We would have one less win (WFT) while the Pats would have one less loss (Dallas). We would be 9-6, they would be 10-5 heading into the final week. If they beat Miami on Sunday, they would have been division champs.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I would have preferred expanding the playoff field to 8 per conference so it would be more in line with the NBA/NHL. That way nobody would get a bye week or you bring back the bye for the #1/#2 seed in each conference again.

But 17 game season is a bit weird especially since you can't have a true .500 team anymore unless they tie like the Steelers who very well may finish 8-8-1 in the first year of this new set up.

Unless I missed it completely, players weren't pissed to play an extra game? Are they paid more or the same as per agreed to for a full season. whether 16 or 17 games?

18 minutes ago, gjv001 said:

From my perspective, when they added the 17th game I thought they should of added an additional by-week. That would have given us a 19 week season. 

I'd like that to, but since they won't start on Labor Day weekend... nor before, because of ratings, it means the extra week would mean this regular season would have ended January 16th. That's a LOT of winter games for northern teams.

Edited by Jerome007

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

We should be watching playoff football this weekend!!!  We don't need an extra week of regular season football to know which teams belong in the playoffs.  

And yes I know that the NFL's reason for this is simply $$$$$$$

But I'm just asking from a fan's standpoint.  I said from the beginning it was dumb but when it was first announced a lot of people were excited for it saying it was good to see more football etc. but from what I have been seeing on Twitter and other sources now that we are actually here it seems like most people are changing their tune and admitting an extra week of regular season football instead of jumping into the playoffs is stupid.  

Where do you stand?

Of course if we get rid of that 17th game it would have been the Skins for us (a win) and the Cowboys for the Patriots (a lose) meaning the Patsies assuming we take care of the Dolphins and Jets accordingly, the Patsies would be AFC East champs. Are you a closet Patriots fan … lol 😂 

• Like (+1) 1

I'll take the extra week of football! 

The season is very short as it is and the more it's stretched out, the better.

Next, I want the league to get rid of 2 if not 3 pre-season games, and start the regular season EARLIER too.

Get it to a 20 game season.  The NFLPA will try to stop it, but I think that's an inevitability at some point.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.