flashback 2018 espn draft coverage of Josh pick

First Round Bust

4 hours ago, TBBills said:

Mel Kiper smartest man in the room that pick.

As much as Kiper can be an irritating personality, he seems to be correct more than most of his contemporaries.  Fans get obsessed with certain players before the draft and when Kiper craps on their parade, they discount everything he says.  Many times a good player evaluation can be spot on and fail to materialize because they end up in a bad team situation.  Josh Allen has all the tools and he landed in a good team environment with great coaching support.  To Allen's credit, he is working very hard to make the most out of his opportunity.  As a result, it's a great time to be a Bills fan.

• Like (+1) 4

What's truly amazing to me is on draft night, as I watched this unfold, I had to be pulled inside off the ledge.  I simply did not want Josh Allen as the next QB of the Bills. I was on the Mayfield 1st, Rosen 2nd wish list.  I texted my family members in Buffalo countless texts of obscenities.  I thank the Lord that I am not employed by the Buffalo Bills, in any capacity. 

Now, as I rewatch this video, all I can do is smile the biggest, cheesiest, proudest grin possible, feeling like we are SO lucky to have #17 under center for us, and to be able to watch him grow on a weekly basis.....

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Iirc, he had a similar take in the McShay/ Kiper pre draft special. In the closing segment they were asked aside from Mayfield/ Darnold who would emerge as the best QB from that draft. Kiper replied “ Josh Allen”

After his rookie year, Kiper said he'd watched every snap of Josh and thought he was gonna be a star.

McShay said Darnold and laughed when Kiper said hed watched every snap

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

After his rookie year, Kiper said he'd watched every snap of Josh and thought he was gonna be a star.

McShay said Darnold and laughed when Kiper said hed watched every snap

I honestly was shocked that they reacted the way they did on live TV to Kiper and his opinion.  

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Wow!!!

Thank you!!!!!

That’s the way to start your day with a cup of coffee💪
   You can absolutely see the Josh signature ability in those highlights.

And, that there was ANY serious question about this kid’s character? It goes to show that kids do and say stupid stuff and unless there is a serious history of it it shouldn’t even be spoken of.

Bills we’re the “ Smartest”

Were we really having nasty, drag out, 30 page fights about TT over EJ? 😜

Edited by Buffalo Boy
  • Like (+1) 3

I had to get off the internet for awhile after this pick. There was an avalanche of negativity from Bills fans, it's was unbearable. Way over the top, sort of like how this place gets every time the Bills lose.

I'm glad Josh convinced mostly everyone he was the right pick. Thank the football gods.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I remember Kiper really touting Josh and I knew little of him. I was just thinking “ Wyoming?”. I thought Darnold would end up being the star based on what I saw of him since USC was on TV more back then and he seemed to be a star in the making. Never liked Rosen so

was glad we didn’t take him. I’d say my attitude that day was nonplussed. 

Have to admit, watching this and seeing the list of failed QBs since Kelly, then hearing the commentator for ESPN declare, "Josh Allen is the new quarterback of the Buffalo Bills"  - got a little lump in my throat. 

It's like having an endless string of mismatched blind dates for umpteen years when all off a sudden, you spot that special person you've been searching for and instinctively know, she's/he's the one!

So thankful it wasn't Josh Rosen. That would have been a typical choice of the last several Bills' regimes, going back to Tom Donahoe. Talk about dodging a bullet.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, First Round Bust said:

first time seeing this for me, on that nite I was home plate ump doing a HS game and was direcretely checking cell phone between innings...when the pick was announced I was not exactly happy as I ignorantly did a group think and fell in line with the critical pundits who questioned accuracy, lackluster Wyo season, etc...

will it be Josh Rosen or Josh Allen....this is one of the top ten moments in team history...the birth of a franchise qb...

He only had two offers

those  Wyo highlights look similar to his Bills

Mel Kiper was nothing but positive - he's Randy Johnson, he's a big-time talent, he's a difference maker

Wyo was 15-33 in the 4 years prior to Josh and 16-9 - 4 losses by 3 points in his two seasons...agains similar story to his Bills seasons....

t

Definitely franchise changing moment.  Thank God for McBeane 

How do you go about umpiring games? I was always curious 

How do you get the opportunity I should say

Edited by JerseyBills

I wish someone video'd my reaction as I nearly lost it when they picked Josh ( I wanted Rosen). Would've been a good laugh now

17 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

The two "sure fire picks" were lack luster (Darnold)

I really believe if he was drafted anywhere else not NYJ he probably is a serviceable starter. He got the crap beat in and you can see it now where he is unsure of making a throw because of protection and past "ghosts'. Not saying he is a star but the Jets did everything wrong for Sam. The Browns at least tried to do the same as the Bills:

-Give QB a solid line

-Give him good WRs

-Coaching that tries to utilize the QB's best talents

-Defense that is solid enough to shoulder the load as the QB grows

The Jets just tried to rush to be a contender year 2 which mixed with Gase was a disaster. I still couldn't believe they didn't try to sign Morse or Paradis to help Sam.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.