A Few Thoughts about the Falcons Game, in no particular order

Virgil

Thanks for this and all the other great write-ups, Virg - I look forward to them every week. But I totally understand your point about not enjoying the games. A few years ago, my wife and I started a music fan blog - my part was to do concert and music fest write-ups. It got to the point where I wasn't enjoying the shows as much, so we eventually ditched the idea.

Every fan should enjoy a Bills game to the fullest, so do what makes you happy.   ☮️🍺

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

@Virgil, didn't you do these back on BB.com message board times?

There was a guy who did "10 things I think I think" after each game. When he stopped doing that, Shaw66 sort of took it over and turned it into The Rockpile Review, which he brought over here when BBMB was shut down.

@Virgil These should not detract from your game day experience.  That doesn't seem fair, so thanks again for doing these. 10 years is a great run so no shame in calling it. This week's was spot on!

How about you get a few guest writers during the year to take some of the burden off? Maybe then it won't seem overwhelming for 20 weeks or so.

Betterman was an instant classic 👍

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

Yes!  This was the second week in a row where I was strongly reminded of the drought-era Bills.  In the New England game, we had the ball and the lead with 7:30 to go, and the drought teams found a way to lose those games with near 100% regularity to Brady and Belichick.  And you're absolutely right that the taunting penalty would have been a very Billsy way to lose, considering just how creative we got with losing games during the drought.

I agree.  When I saw how that play evolved from an Atlanta TD to 3rd-and-goal from the 16, I thought exactly the same thing: What a Billsy turn of events!  

I actually empathized for Ryan and the Falcons because it was so easy for me to imagine being in a situation like that.  

Thanks for all you’ve done, Virg. As I shared when I first joined in late 2020 (I read the board for years before I actually joined in 2020), your write up has always been a post game must read. That said, you’ve got to enjoy the games.

It’s crazy to think that it’s almost been 10 years. I still remember the post you shared on the forum where you mentioned that Bill was okay with you taking over.

You’ve done a great job. Well done!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Virgil I appreciate your thoughts and they have made me a better student of the game.   I’ll certainly miss that and bet others will as well.  With that said ten years is a long time and I can fully appreciate wanting to pass the torch.  

Would it be possible to hand this down to a willing participant?  Seems like a tradition here and hate to see it pass away.  Guys like me who look forward to the thoughts and perspectives, then research them for further understanding of the game will certainly be missing a mentor.  

Only If your retiring: viable and willing candidates please  apply!

thank you again Virgil!

• Like (+1) 2

Thanks for a decade of writing @Virgil  Enjoyed it.  As many wrote, you should do what is important for you and your family.  Your post allows everyone to have some collective way of discussing the game instead of 10 separate threads.  I am sure we can still do the same and someone else may get interested and want to contribute.    Go Bills.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Wait! Are you saying we should NOT fire this coaching group? 

I’m so confused…….

@Virgil I love your stuff and always enjoy it. If you decide it’s time for you to fully enjoy the games, I totally get that. You deserve it, and I’ll respect whatever you decide and remain appreciative of your contributions. 

I love you Virgil!!:wub: The thought of running my fingers through your mullet has made me smile since back in BBMB times! Often times it is the only soothing thought after a loss!:cry:

Edited by Sherlock Holmes
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

Nope. No idea who that would be 

Shaw66 was one of the ones that did write-ups on the BBMB, but not sure if that's who is talking about as there were a few.  He also has been doing them for a long time.  I've enjoyed reading both his and yours.  You do what you need to do.  If its too stressful to do these then its not fun.  If its not fun then don't do it.  Enjoy football and then enjoy casual banter here about it.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

I love you Virgil!!:wub: The thought of running my fingers through your mullet has made me smile since back in BBMB times! Often times it is the only soothing thought after a loss!:cry:

No one said you had to stop

• Haha (+1) 1

Ten years… TEN YEARS?!?! 😳 I never would have guessed it was that long… I remember when the torch was passed… thanks for all the great reads… did you have to hit me over the head with a shovel to remind me how quickly time is passing, though.

I suddenly feel like one of those people in the Progressive ads that are turning into their parents. I’m all discombobulated and I have this overwhelming urge to see if @Chandler#81 needs any help yelling at the kids on his lawn now. ☹️

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Thanks for the great write up, Virg.

I'll really miss reading them if you decide to retire, but I understand 100%.

Has it seriously been 10 years since you took over from Bill??  That's crazy how fast time flies.

Let's go Buffalo!

• Like (+1) 1

Hopefully you are just speaking your notes into your phone or tablet, much like commenting to a fan watching the game with you. If not, how could you enjoy the game at all. I rarely write or type anything out anymore. Edit, format and send it on; or if necessary paste into a word processor and do the same.

Whatever you do, enjoy the game and your life. It goes by way too fast, just ask us old timers.  👴

Thanks @Virgil for your salient contributions here!

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Nice write-up. I also thought Josh was throwing fastball missiles throughout the game, sometimes when the guy was only 10 feet away.

Maybe you could do "skinny" write-ups so it doesn't seem like an assignment. One paragraph of top 5 observations or something like that.

Growing up in Buffalo and having played some tackle football in the snow (man, was that fun!) I can attest to trying to catch a frozen football.  With Josh throwing it too hard, it would’ve been very difficult to catch.

• Agree 1

Great write up Virgil. Please don’t stop. It’s a really long season. Maybe you just need a second bye week. Might I suggest that Week 18 against the last place Jets would be a great time for a well deserved break…then we’ll see you in the playoffs! 
Go Bills

PS: Great observations on Edmunds.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.