Diggs - bonus for 6 more catches - extension ?

First Round Bust

Diggs cap hit is over $17M for the next 2 years.  When he signs an extension it will be for over $20M per.

The Bills already got a lot of cap relief in his last 2 seasons.  2 years for a total of $21M.

Big cap hits are inevitable with the exception of the year he signs the extension (2022 or 2023).

I think whenever him and the team decides to pull the trigger on the extension is fine with me cuz he ain't going nowhere.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I wouldn't sign Diggs to an extension that pays him big money after 2023. Two more years of big money seems about right. He'll be 30 then.

It's kind of a tough one.  Unlike RBs, receivers aren't virtually guaranteed to hit a wall around age 30 in the same way but the majority of them do slow down.  I say the most important factor here, though, is that Josh and Stefon are so closely bonded that you're going to disrupt chemistry by not bringing him back.  I'm fine with a 33 year old Diggs getting like 900 yards and 6-8 TDs for a lot of money.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, First Round Bust said:

some off-day fodder to keep the barnyard animals fed from todays BN:

Diggs is close to making a sizeable bonus for 100 catches - needs 6 - adds $$ to both remaining years of contract - extension candy date 4 sir....

Diggs is six receptions away from reaching 100 for the season.

Besides being an attractive number, hitting the 100 threshold would mean bonus money for the Buffalo Bills star receiver.

Diggs would get a $750,000 bonus added to his base salary for 2022 and an additional $800,000 added to his base pay for 2023 if he gets to 100 catches. That would follow the increases to his 2021, '22 and '23 salaries that he earned last season for exceeding 100 catches and 1,375 receiving yards. 

Diggs ranks 11th in the NFL in receptions with 94, and he’s eighth in receiving yards with 1,144. He’s tied for seventh in touchdown catches with nine.

The 28-year-old has two years left on his contract after this season. His base salary is scheduled to be $11.7 million in 2022, not counting the 100-catch incentive, according to the sports financial website Spotrac.com. He will count $17.5 million against the salary cap in 2022, or $18.27 million if he hits 100 catches.

In other words, Diggs’ cap hit is very large regardless of whether he gets six catches Sunday. The size of his cap hit in 2023 is $17.2 million.

Those figures, plus the fact the Bills will be relatively tight against the cap in 2022, make Diggs a candidate for a contract extension before the start of next season. That would allow the Bills to give Diggs more cash the next several years but also lower his base salaries and significantly lower his cap hit for 2022.

The Bills currently have the seventh least amount of space for 2022, at $9 million, according to Spotrac.

The Bills already restructured Diggs’ contract once, in July, converting base salary into bonus money and creating $8 million in cap space for 2021, when almost every team was facing a cap crunch. Diggs' base salary for this season is $990,000. 

Diggs led the NFL in 2020 in both catches (127) and yards (1,535). His yardage total this year already is the second best of his seven-year career. His catch total is third best. He had 102 catches in 2018 for Minnesota.

You specifically mention six receptions on Sunday.  So I should assume playoff games don't count? Otherwise I think it's a given he gets six in the next two games.

I felt like they tried to get him as close to 100 as possible vs Atlanta.  It wasn't until we realized the weather and Atlanta's D were going to force us to run more had to shift gears.

He had 9 targets and most were early - and that last pass to him Sanchez said was to help Allen's rating makes more sense now....at least more freaking sense then Allen getting 1 extra completion my God I can't believe I heard that.  Had Sanchez commented on Diggs being near a bonus in would have been good insight and commentary.  

These guys all know what's up.  

They are all well aware of bonuses.  

Edited by Big Blitz

Just an interesting side tought - when the agreement was signed, wasn't the season only 16 games?  I wonder how much the expansion to 17 games is costing teams in these kinds of bonuses.  I assume they are more than making up for it with the extra week of TV advertising revenue, plus gate, concessions, parking, etc.

Edited by msw2112

2 hours ago, msw2112 said:

Just an interesting side tought - when the agreement was signed, wasn't the season only 16 games?  I wonder how much the expansion to 17 games is costing teams in these kinds of bonuses.  I assume they are more than making up for it with the extra week of TV advertising revenue, plus gate, concessions, parking, etc.

That’s a really good point. I’m sure it was addressed by the Players Association in the negotiations for the additional game but I’ve never read anything about how. 

Trade Diggs in the off season for a 1st rounder. Save the cap and the cash. Great talent and great guy. He is taking a beating in this offense and is 28. Speed will decrease and injuries will accumulate. Blowing $20 mil per on him is a waste with both lines as average.  Bills are without elite speed at wr (and have subpar speed at rb). 

Jefferson excels with the Vikings, they don't miss Diggs. Do similarly and draft a young stud (and dump Beasley too). Form a new core on rookie contracts. Maybe bring in a 25-27yo FA. The Bills brought in a past prime Sanders several years too late. He has been ineffective the second half of the season. Don't overpay declining assets. 

The QB is the centerpiece. That is dialed in for 10 years barring catastrophic injury. Everyone else should revolve around him interchangeably. 

• Disagree 1

18 hours ago, First Round Bust said:

some off-day fodder to keep the barnyard animals fed from todays BN:

Diggs is close to making a sizeable bonus for 100 catches - needs 6 - adds $$ to both remaining years of contract - extension candy date 4 sir....

Diggs is six receptions away from reaching 100 for the season.

Besides being an attractive number, hitting the 100 threshold would mean bonus money for the Buffalo Bills star receiver.

Diggs would get a $750,000 bonus added to his base salary for 2022 and an additional $800,000 added to his base pay for 2023 if he gets to 100 catches. That would follow the increases to his 2021, '22 and '23 salaries that he earned last season for exceeding 100 catches and 1,375 receiving yards. 

Diggs ranks 11th in the NFL in receptions with 94, and he’s eighth in receiving yards with 1,144. He’s tied for seventh in touchdown catches with nine.

The 28-year-old has two years left on his contract after this season. His base salary is scheduled to be $11.7 million in 2022, not counting the 100-catch incentive, according to the sports financial website Spotrac.com. He will count $17.5 million against the salary cap in 2022, or $18.27 million if he hits 100 catches.

In other words, Diggs’ cap hit is very large regardless of whether he gets six catches Sunday. The size of his cap hit in 2023 is $17.2 million.

Those figures, plus the fact the Bills will be relatively tight against the cap in 2022, make Diggs a candidate for a contract extension before the start of next season. That would allow the Bills to give Diggs more cash the next several years but also lower his base salaries and significantly lower his cap hit for 2022.

The Bills currently have the seventh least amount of space for 2022, at $9 million, according to Spotrac.

The Bills already restructured Diggs’ contract once, in July, converting base salary into bonus money and creating $8 million in cap space for 2021, when almost every team was facing a cap crunch. Diggs' base salary for this season is $990,000. 

Diggs led the NFL in 2020 in both catches (127) and yards (1,535). His yardage total this year already is the second best of his seven-year career. His catch total is third best. He had 102 catches in 2018 for Minnesota.

That cap number means absolutely  nothing restructures and cuts make maneuvering around the cap so easy anymore it’s not even funny case and point in 2023 the Bills have 70 million in cap space and that’s with Allen’s new contract kicking in 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.