Worst Home Weather Season?

corta765

we haven't had ANY nice weather games this season. The opener wasn't a "fine day" by early September standards. Shoulda been 80 and sunny. It was 60 and cloudy and chilly. Washington was windy AF. The rest you describe are accurate. 

We have been pretty blessed the past few years with good weather so yea I would assume we just had to pay the piper.

I want a dome, but not because "our offense is built for a dome" (that offense wont be around in 10 years). I am just looking out for my own comfort during games as a season ticket holder. 

17 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

The winds vs Washington were consistently 20 mph with gusts over 30

Remember the kickoff McKenzie misread because the wind absolutely knocked it down and WFT recovered it 

I was in upper deck at that end and saw that kick just die. First we thought it was a trick play...then looked at the flags at that end of the Stadium. I've never seen a ball just punched out of the air by the wind like that.

it certainly feels like this year has been for more unlucky that others, but that's going on memory.

i think what's more unique is that the weather seems to get worse exactly at game time.  it isn't necessarily good all day, but it just seems to ***** and become awful at kickoff.    didn't i see a graphic showing the temps will start to drop and weather more extreme at around 4 in buffalo this sunday?

• Like (+1) 2

i've always been one that said the weather talks were overblown and that there's really only 1 or 2 truly game altering weather games a year in OC. That being said, this year has been freaking AWFUL. Its definitely got me rethinking my "anti-dome" stance, now that we've got a qb that basically goes thermonuclear anytime he has a taste of nice weather.

6 minutes ago, teef said:

it certainly feels like this year has been for more unlucky that others, but that's going on memory.

i think what's more unique is that the weather seems to get worse exactly at game time.  it isn't necessarily good all day, but it just seems to ***** and become awful at kickoff.    didn't i see a graphic showing the temps will start to drop and weather more extreme at around 4 in buffalo this sunday?

yes.... its been a weird year.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

i've always been one that said the weather talks were overblown and that there's really only 1 or 2 truly game altering weather games a year in OC. That being said, this year has been freaking AWFUL. Its definitely got me rethinking my "anti-dome" stance, now that we've got a qb that basically goes thermonuclear anytime he has a taste of nice weather.

yes.... its been a weird year.

I remember the winter of 1995-96 being horrible here.

13 minutes ago, slipkid said:

The 18-week season pushed the schedule into mid-January, and the Bills played half their home schedule in December-January. I’m guessing that didn’t help with the weather.

I know the Bills in the past favored more home games in Sept-Oct (4-5 if possible) as usually the weather is favorable. Problem is with them good now they get more marquee games and the league likes those later and mix in like you said a longer year more chance for adverse games.

25 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Not to pile on, but the local weather forecasts have the R word in the offing for Sunday 🌧🤮

So the good news is that by game time the weather is said to stop completely and days following have no adverse weather. Hopefully this system moves a bit faster and by mid day sunday it clears.

1 minute ago, corta765 said:

I know the Bills in the past favored more home games in Sept-Oct (4-5 if possible) as usually the weather is favorable. Problem is with them good now they get more marquee games and the league likes those later and mix in like you said a longer year more chance for adverse games.

So the good news is that by game time the weather is said to stop completely and days following have no adverse weather. Hopefully this system moves a bit faster and by mid day sunday it clears.

Does Niagara Falls ever get ice on it or is it too fast flowing to not ice over?

19 hours ago, corta765 said:

This is not a post to complain about our weather as much as just the fact I can't remember a season with so many games regularly played in legitimately crappy conditions. Figure:

Steelers: Fine day 

Washington: Beautiful Day

Texas: Downpour

Dolphins: Overcast some rain

Colts: Cold downpour

Patriots: Gale force winds with snow 

Panthers: Snow

Falcons: Heavy Snow & Cold

Jets: Snow possible Sleet/Rain

Does anyone remember a season that had as many bad weather weeks?

This was the worst I can remember over the last 40 years. It did not really strike me until I realized how much of a pain in the butt tailgates have been. Mother Nature can do whatever she pleases during the game, but leave the tailgate time out of it!

Just now, BuffaloBaumer said:

This was the worst I can remember over the last 40 years. It did not really strike me until I realized how much of a pain in the butt tailgates have been. Mother Nature can do whatever she pleases during the game, but leave the tailgate time out of it!

It's funny the Texans game we tailgated basically no rain until we started to go to walk in and it was like mother nature turned on a shower then for the rest of the day. Winning in bad weather makes such a difference compared to losing mentally.

Buffalo Bills players remember the prank played on special teams ace Steve Tasker after his spectacular kickoff return during the team’s come-from-behind 29-23 victory over the Los Angeles Raiders in the 1994 divisional playoffs.

That same day, team officials recall that the press box windows were so clouded by condensation that the team bought some deicer and used a large squeegee to repeatedly clear off the 10-foot-high windows.

And many fans probably remember that the win sent the Bills to the AFC Championship Game, just one win away from their fourth straight Super Bowl appearance.

But the game, played 20 years ago today, on Jan. 15, 1994, found its way into the team’s record book for another reason:

The temperature was zero degrees, making it the coldest Bills game ever. The wind-chill temperature supposedly was 32 degrees below zero, although that formula has changed since then.

Speaking of bad weather games.

19 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Bro...if you thought the Falcons game was heavy snow, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Those were flurries.

If you want to see heavy snow, be in Buffalo Wednesday night into Thursday when we get 12-18 inches.

Also I was at the Panthers game, and I wouldn't even list that as snow.  It was just a bit breezy, around freezing, with like a dandruff sprinkling of snowflakes for a bit.

2 hours ago, corta765 said:

My point isn't as much the weather in terms of complaint as just in general its been unusually active compared to the years I have gone in the past. I love a nice 35 degree day with a touch of snow. Works for me and I am comfy.

Coldest game I have been to was 2016 Steelers. It was like 3 degrees at 8 am with -2 wind chill and the beer was freezing playing pong in the cups. It was to the point the coolers with ice were warmer then the outdoors. Add it a nice blustery snow it was pretty narly.

Worst weather I have been at was either the Colts game this year were it just wouldn't stop raining throughout with the wind or the Pats in 2016 at home which was a washout also. I thankfully avoided the Pats night game this year (wife went lucky her haha) and she was also at the Giants game in 07.

You sir must be younger.  Pittsburgh 16 doesn’t even register on the cold scale.  Colts game this year was no fun, but not really that bad in the grand scheme of things.  Giants 07 was raining so hard and so sideways that I had to turn my back to the field. 

20 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Cardinals game was when the punter was hitting 10 and 12 yard punts into the wind that either went directly out of bounds or got caught up in the wind and went backwards

I was there. It was like the ball was being slapped back at the punter.

21 hours ago, corta765 said:

This is not a post to complain about our weather as much as just the fact I can't remember a season with so many games regularly played in legitimately crappy conditions. Figure:

Steelers: Fine day 

Washington: Beautiful Day

Texas: Downpour

Dolphins: Overcast some rain

Colts: Cold downpour

Patriots: Gale force winds with snow 

Panthers: Snow

Falcons: Heavy Snow & Cold

Jets: Snow possible Sleet/Rain

Does anyone remember a season that had as many bad weather weeks?

Lol. Sunday’s game was certainly cold but “heavy” snow? No. It was snowing steadily during the morning yes (but still wasn’t accumulating much at all.) By game time it was pretty light. 

If Sunday’s snow was “heavy,” what was the Bills-Colts game in 2017? Ultra heavy? Super duper heavy? Come on man.

edit: However, this season overall I agree with your assessment - I can only speak back to 2007 when I started buying season tickets, but this season has had more bad weather games than I’ve experienced in a while.

Edited by JoPoy88

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.