*[EDIT]* Multiple reports Browns actively shopping Mayfield pg. 29/30 - Ravens / Browns in QB contract pickle

Inigo Montoya

16 hours ago, Limeaid said:

It partially depends on is the issue entirely QB or is it the QB is in wrong scheme or with wrong OC?  Are the skill players the type who will work well with the QB?  Teams need to be adaptive or replacement will be in same situation.

I disagree.  I can't think of a single QB in this century who went from decent to great because of a scheme or team change.  Matthew Stafford was great in Detroit but was dismissed by many because of the crappy franchise he played for but he was also great with the Rams, only with a good enough team around him to make him a winner.   Both Alex Smith and Kirk Cousins have been well above average QBs throughout their careers.  They were both better when they were on teams that suited them better scheme and talent wise, but they weren't trash even when they were on lesser teams.

In Mayfield's case, as the #1 pick in his draft class, if he's not an elite QB then he's going to be a disappointment.  I think that it's obvious that he isn't going to be elite, and maybe he's not ever going to be better than a Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins level QB, a very good starting NFL QB but not a true franchise QB even as good as Stafford or Ryan or Roethlisberger in their primes.  

• Agree 1

They better move him now with all of this in the media.  I don't think Baker has the emotional maturity to deal with this kind of situation.  It's going to be a rough year for the Browns if he is still under center for them this season.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Agree 5

• Inigo Montoya changed the title to *[EDIT]* Multiple reports Browns actively shopping Mayfield pg. 29/30 - Ravens / Browns in QB contract pickle
6 hours ago, SoTier said:

I disagree.  I can't think of a single QB in this century who went from decent to great because of a scheme or team change.  Matthew Stafford was great in Detroit but was dismissed by many because of the crappy franchise he played for but he was also great with the Rams, only with a good enough team around him to make him a winner.   Both Alex Smith and Kirk Cousins have been well above average QBs throughout their careers.  They were both better when they were on teams that suited them better scheme and talent wise, but they weren't trash even when they were on lesser teams.

In Mayfield's case, as the #1 pick in his draft class, if he's not an elite QB then he's going to be a disappointment.  I think that it's obvious that he isn't going to be elite, and maybe he's not ever going to be better than a Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins level QB, a very good starting NFL QB but not a true franchise QB even as good as Stafford or Ryan or Roethlisberger in their primes.  

Stafford wasn't great in Detroit, you could certainly argue he was good - to very good but great is a bit of hyperbole.  Brady was great on a pretty average Patriots team and I'd say Rodgers was great on a fair to midling Packers team.

3 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

They better move him now with all of this in the media.  I don't think Baker has the emotional maturity to deal with this kind of situation.  It's going to be a rough year for the Browns if he is still under center for them this season.

If you're a Browns fan you'd hope that his struggles have at least humbled him a little bit.   Hue Jackson has to smiling a little bit to himself.

not a fan of Baker,   wasnt interested even if we'd had the 1st overall pick.    that being said,   he's a good young QB,  who has played reasonably well until last season when OBJ got back on the field,  and Baker got banged up.    he had all sorts of injuries and tried to power through them last season.    if the Browns are looking to move on mbe theres more to it than what we as fans can see,   ill give Baker a pass for last season tho.

2 hours ago, HT02 said:

Stafford wasn't great in Detroit, you could certainly argue he was good - to very good but great is a bit of hyperbole.  Brady was great on a pretty average Patriots team and I'd say Rodgers was great on a fair to midling Packers team.

My point is simply that there haven't been any QBs who improved significantly because they were put in a better scheme -- or even on a better team.  QBs show what they can do early on, and where they are 3 or 4 years into their starting careers is about where their ceiling is.   The best ones may get better because they get smarter with experience, but I don't buy the idea that 5 or 6 years into a career some QB who's been only decent is suddenly going to emerge as an elite talent as a signal caller.  

Mayfield hasn't shown a lot of growth as a quarterback or as a leader in his four seasons in Cleveland, especially compared to how much Allen and Jackson have improved since they were all drafted in 2018.

15 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Buffalo got the best QB in the 2018 draft.  Credit to Beane and McCoach.  

Now they just gotta start getting UFA right and not over-drafting players who fit McCoach's antiquated and inflexible scheme.  

I mean, I understand the desire for improvement but that “antiquated and inflexible scheme” resulted in the #1 scoring defense in the NFL.  I think we’re letting 13 seconds cloud reasonable analysis here.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, eball said:

I mean, I understand the desire for improvement but that “antiquated and inflexible scheme” resulted in the #1 scoring defense in the NFL.  I think we’re letting 13 seconds cloud reasonable analysis here.

Inflexible maybe. Antiquated, most certainly not. The NFL is now a big play league and the Bills give up the fewest big plays. Fans might not like it stylistically but defenses that are bend but not break and keep everything underneath are exactly where the league is going. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.