*[EDIT]* Multiple reports Browns actively shopping Mayfield pg. 29/30 - Ravens / Browns in QB contract pickle

Inigo Montoya

When Beane extended Josh last year it was the expectation that Jackson and Mayfield would also get an extension done before the start of the regular season.  That never happened and now those two franchises find themselves with a bit of a dilemma.

Despite being voted to the Pro Bowl again (and Jackson's team will beat that drum despite the fact he clearly doesn't deserve it), Jackson has had a down year in almost every category and has not been available due to injury for part of the second half of the season.  He hasn't played well enough to get a contract that is more lucrative than Allen's, but that is what they are going to be asking for and it will be tough for the Ravens as an organization to pay him less.

Baker has had a terrible season and is also down in almost every meaningful statistical category despite being on a team loaded with talent and behind one of the best O-Lines in the NFL.  No NFL QB has had more interceptions than Baker has in the last four years. He has evolved into a serviceable game managing QB.  In fairness, he has dealt with a non-throwing shoulder injury that muddies the water this year a bit.

Here are how the 3 QBs line up statistically this year through Week 17;

Josh Allen 2021 

Games Played; 16

Completions;  385

Passing Yards;  4,168

Comp %;  64.1

Passing TD's;  34

INT's;  15

Rushing Yards; 700

Average Per Rush;  6 yards

Rushing TD's;  6

Rushing 1st Downs;  51

Lamar Jackson 2021   -  Pro Bowl 

Games Played; 13 full games (knocked out early in game 14)

Completions;  246

Passing Yards;  2,882

Comp %;  64.4

Passing TD's;  16

INT's;  13

Rushing Yards;  767

Average Per Rush;  5.8 yards

Rushing TD's;  2

Rushing 1st Downs;  48

Baker Mayfield 2021

Games Played;  15

Completions;  237

Passing Yards;  2,825

Comp %;  62.4

Passing TD's;  15

INT's;  11

Rushing Yards;  118

Average Per Rush;  3.4 yards

Rushing TD's;  1

Rushing 1st Downs;  10

Looking at those stats and watching the arc of their careers, while Josh isn't putting up numbers as spectacular as last year, I think he has proven that the 2020 season was not an anomaly.  He is one of the top five QBs in the NFL by any measuring stick.  Lamar and Baker on the other hand have had a year of inconsistency where they have played worse than last year and both teams are unlikely to make the playoffs. 

The fact that neither franchise locked down Lamar and Baker before this season means that the organizations harbor some doubt about them and wasn't willing to commit long term no matter what they say publicly.  They kicked the can down the road a year and the question is now what do they do with the 2021 season in the bag?

1.)  Do they make them play out their 5th year options and see how they do before coming to the table? 

2.)  Do they play hardball and negotiate a contract less than what Allen got even though the cap is about to explode?

3.)  Do they go after a free agent QB and move on? 

4.)  Do they give them a contract on par or better than Allen's because the other options are unpalatable for various reasons?

5.)  Do they draft a QB and start over (slim pickings this year, especially at their likely draft spot)?

I think Lamar clearly has a stronger hand to play than Baker.   Both franchises are in a corner here.  The best thing for the Bills is for both franchises to overpay for their QB.  It's going to be one of the best storylines of the off season this year.  I've got my popcorn ready. 

I'm so glad the Bills aren't in that boat.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 23
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Either team would be fools to give those QBs an Allen type contract.  Lamar is figured out and isn't a good passer of the football.  Im sure Ill get roll eyes, check marks, and flak for this but I don't care.  I've said it from year one and I will continue to say it.  Lamar is not a good QB.  Probably the best athlete on the field but Lamar said it best... not bad for a RB.

As far as Baker he has played with a pretty bad injury all year so its hard to judge but based on his overall work, I don't think he is very good either.  He turns the ball over too much.  If he stopped that he would be a good game manager though.

If it were me, I would at best franchise tag those QBs or offer them a mid level contract and look to replace them sooner than later.  Anything more than a mid level contract would just set the team back.  Ravens already made that mistake with Flacco.  Will they make the same mistake twice?  Already seen what the Ravens look like this year from injury.  They aren't going to look any better when they can't pay anyone.  Even full strength, Lamar is not winning them a SB.  He is just a regular season super hero.  Not going to get more than that.  Especially not now.  More and more teams are getting better.  More and more teams have figured out the Lamar/Roman formula.  Contain Lamar.  Take Andrews out of the game.  Lamar isn't good enough after that.  I don't care what wideouts they have.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 13
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4
  • Dislike 1

You just watch though at the beginning of next season we will hear about these huge threats for the Super Bowl that the Browns and the ravens are it happens every year despite the fact that they draft ahead of us every year

having said that how do you not give those QBs contracts when it is so hard to find just a serviceable one? You might see hold outs from the QBs because they think they’re worth is more than what the teams want to offer then eventually they will meet in the middle

Edited by John from Riverside
  • Like (+1) 1

I think Lamar gets a monster contract, perhaps just back of allen, but the cap expectations might inflate that.

I think baker gets a contract that gives the browns an out after a couple years.  i'm not sure what the qb availability i the market looks like, but the browns have a lot of really high draft picks, and their rb, who will come under new contracts soon.  a lot of that skill talent is gonna leave, but the ol and run game will be intact.  a smart franchise would give a team friendly deal (basically the outs are what they need) and see if baker bites. 

• Agree 3

Jackson will get a big contract, they just have to hope this isn’t the start of a lot of injury issues.  Not saying I want him as my QB, just looking at the infatuation with the guy, I think he gets paid.

I would let Baker play it out.  He has steadily regressed, I’d risk it with him..  if he kills it, tag him and get a deal done, if not move on.  If you can’t figure it out in 5 years, I’m not waiting anymore.

Edited by DCofNC
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6

The Browns are in more of a pickle than the Ravens. The Ravens on field future might be questionable with Jackson under center, but they have no decision to make. Jackson is a somewhat iconic QB, who happens to be one of the faces of today’s NFL. I’d have a lot of trepidation about giving Jackson big money, but the Ravens have no choice. Allowing Jackson to walk immediately throws the franchise into turmoil, with criticism from outsiders, and I also think they’d lose the locker room. Jackson is loved by NFL fans and teammates. You can’t even think about letting that guy go, but it could at the detriment of long term goals for the Ravens. 

• Like (+1) 12
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

Sorry, should have added /sarcasm

I laughed at it and knew you were kidding.

The funny thing is they will both be heavily overpaid.

Edited by JMF2006
knew not new
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I dont see it as a pickle.   Beyond stats Lamar is 37-12 as a starter, and needs to be re-signed. (made sure to add the space for my boy @Freddie's Dead) Baker is 29-30 and should be let go. 

I would think there is a question about Lamar. Availability is the best ability right? If his camp is trying to press the idea of a pro bowler this year and get more money than Josh, it’s going to be a hard sell. It could lead to an impasse. Not likely that he would not be re-signed but it’s not open and shut. 

There will be questions about hits on the QB and whether or not they are taking their toll. 

Personally? If I am the Ravens I am paying Lamar Jackson. He is not a great passer, and likely never will be a great passer, but he is just such a dynamic playmaker and they win games when he is on the field that is undeniable. 

Baker is tougher. I think I'd let it play out maybe even franchise tag him a year after his rookie deal. He has been battling through a shoulder injury all season this season and I don't want to make a rash decision based on that, but he was a borderline pay or let go decision anyway for me. The issue for Cleveland might be I don't see them bottoming out any time soon to be in position to draft another guy in the top 10. They might be in purgatory somewhat. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

I am amazed at how bad Baker plays.  Last night against the Steelers was atrocious.  He has excuses but eegad the Browns are in a terrible quandary.

I concur that Lamar will get his contract.  Just be thankful we don't have the baker issue here in Buffalo.  I would let him go, I don't think he can be a great 40 mil franchise QB.

• Like (+1) 2

Baker isn't getting that big payday. To think he was the #1 pick in 2018. He has been a disappointment. They made a point last night saying the Browns offense runs thru Chubb and Hunt. What does that tell you about Baker as a #1 pick?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.