*[EDIT]* Multiple reports Browns actively shopping Mayfield pg. 29/30 - Ravens / Browns in QB contract pickle

Inigo Montoya

2 hours ago, DCofNC said:

This is why Josh’s deal was better than Maholmes’.  He’ll get to re set the market again, Maholmes will likely never get to.  Allen got paid almost as much AND gets to go again in his prime, Maholmes will be in the league for 13 years by the time he gets another shot at being a FA, not great. 

They will renegotiate way before 10 years.

7 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Torn labrum or not, when I watch Baker it's apparent that if he has to move off his spot at all, he literally trips over his own feet and falls down. 

Allen makes dodging pressure look so easily, Baker would have 70+ sacks behind this offensive line. 

In addition to below average athleticism, Baker also struggles to overcome his height. 

Yeah im not big on Baker.  I think he could have a Fitz like career or something though.

7 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Torn labrum or not, when I watch Baker it's apparent that if he has to move off his spot at all, he literally trips over his own feet and falls down. 

Allen makes dodging pressure look so easily, Baker would have 70+ sacks behind this offensive line. 

In addition to below average athleticism, Baker also struggles to overcome his height. 

Mayfield is a game manager, nothing more.

32 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Yeah im not big on Baker.  I think he could have a Fitz like career or something though.

I don’t see that.  Fitz stuck around the league because of his  “emotional intelligence” - not fond of that lingo, I mean his ability to get along with everyone on the team and build relationships with all: WR, OL, coaches, assistants - as Lee Smith said “if you tell me you don’t like Ryan Fitzpatrick I’m telling you you’re lying” - and then because of his mental ability to learn new playbooks and read Ds and good film study habits.

I could be mistaken, but I see Mayfield as too much of a “drama llama” to fill that role 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don’t see that.  Fitz stuck around the league because of his  “emotional intelligence” - not fond of that lingo, I mean his ability to get along with everyone on the team and build relationships with all: WR, OL, coaches, assistants - as Lee Smith said “if you tell me you don’t like Ryan Fitzpatrick I’m telling you you’re lying” - and then because of his mental ability to learn new playbooks and read Ds and good film study habits.

I could be mistaken, but I see Mayfield as too much of a “drama llama” to fill that role 

True but I more mean he will probably end up on a few different teams as a backup/starter

On 1/4/2022 at 12:45 PM, FilthyBeast said:

Jackson was carrying the Ravens and they were 8-3 with him healthy which shows he was not only an MVP candidate but top QB in the conference.

And he did most of this with him arm this year vs being a 'running QB'.

Obviously if Allen got hurt the Bills would also be in a world of trouble but the league obviously feels he's not the main reason the team is any good especially with the #1 overall ranked defense.

How did Lamar lead the Ravens to a 8-3 record when Lamar only has 7 wins this year. smh How are you a MVP candidate with 16TD and 13 ints. He had about 2 good and 1 great game this year. If you are going to be on here just talking stupid you should really find something else to do with your free time. 

On 1/5/2022 at 5:05 PM, Evian said:

Lamar Jackson and Baker Mayfield are mediocre at best.

Tyler Huntley is a better QB than Jackson. Jackson will never beat the Mahomes, Allens, Herberts, and Burrows of the AFC. He can't throw the ball. Huntley is better than LJ and is way less expensive.

Baker Mayfield is gone. He too is never beating the elite AFC quarterbacks. 

The Browns and Ravens have tons of talent. The fact both are not making the playoffs all circles back to their non-elite quarterbacks.

I don't see either team giving them big money. They are not worth it.

Totally agree and I said this last year. They're not built for longevity. Neither are worth 40+/yr.

7 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

How did Lamar lead the Ravens to a 8-3 record when Lamar only has 7 wins this year. smh How are you a MVP candidate with 16TD and 13 ints. He had about 2 good and 1 great game this year. If you are going to be on here just talking stupid you should really find something else to do with your free time. 

Exactly.  People are trying to make Lamar a yearly MVP without the stats. So emotional.  He was marginal this year at best and when his elusiveness as a rusher diminish he will be a sub par QB. Not an MVP and will not be again IMO. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

So the lack of a running game in Buffalo (though last Sunday there was glimmer of one) along with known problems with the offensive line (again maybe at some level of under repair) fall under the responsibility of Josh Allen. The guy has put the team on his back and carried it except for last week.  He is a once in a generation talent and I am glad the Bills were smart and came to a reasonable agreement with him.

Last week he contributed mightily with his legs.   He helped win that game.  

10 hours ago, cle23 said:

Mary Kay Cabot is a quack.  She writes articles for drama and clicks.  She has decent content sometimes, but she then writes headlines for said article in order to create drama.  I know clicks = money, but she isn't a great representative of a great and fair reporter.

Copy Editors usually write the headlines not the reporter.  Good chance she has nothing to do with that.  

If Mayfield played better she and other reporters would write about that; about big stats, memorable performances and playoff successes.  Unfortunately, he hasn’t played consistently even when healthy and his future there is questionable.  

Should the Browns make him the highest paid QB in the game or even close to  it?  Why or why not?  Should they find a new QB now, trade Mayfield or give him another year to prove himself?  He has the ball in his hands every play.  He can control the narrative.   When a guy doesn’t play well enough at that position this is what happens.  Not Cabot’s fault he ain’t that dude (yet, if ever).

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

What QBs currently in the NFL would you want for the next 7-10 years here is what I think GMs would tell you:

1.  Mahomes

2. Allen

3. Herbert

4. Burrow

5. Murray

That's pry right but if Watson resolves his legal problems over the offseason I'd put him above Murray on this list.  Can't deny the guy's talent even if he is a pos. 

I don't trust the Murray midget that seems to be hampered by an injury the last couple of years.  However, he may be the next one to get the big QB contract and he can always use baseball as leverage.

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The Ravens are missing the playoffs because they have been without the best left tackle in football for the whole year, the right tackle they signed as a big FA the whole year and a starting guard who did his ACL week 1. They have been without one former all pro corner for the whole season and their other all pro corner down the stretch. They lost their three best running backs before the season began and their first round receiver didn't play until week 8. Oh and then they lost a veteran starting defensive end for good measure before their Quarterback himself went down.

Oh and despite all that they are two missed 2 pointers away from being a locked in playoff team. Yea. The Ravens have not missed the playoffs because of Quarterback play. That is a ridiculous take. 

Three fold means all three elements come into play.  I did say injuries to others on the teams.   

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

That's pry right but if Watson resolves his legal problems over the offseason I'd put him above Murray on this list.  Can't deny the guy's talent even if he is a pos. 

I don't trust the Murray midget that seems to be hampered by an injury the last couple of years.  However, he may be the next one to get the big QB contract and he can always use baseball as leverage.

I don’t know about Baseball as leverage at this point.  He hasn’t played in a couple years.  Professional pitchers would take his lunch right now.  I’m talking pro minor league pitchers.  Can’t imagine he spends a lot of time in the batting cage.

38 minutes ago, purple haze said:

I don’t know about Baseball as leverage at this point.  He hasn’t played in a couple years.  Professional pitchers would take his lunch right now.  I’m talking pro minor league pitchers.  Can’t imagine he spends a lot of time in the batting cage.

I don't think they'd completely take his lunch.  Maybe steal a french fry or two when he isn't looking.  I'm sure the A's would give him a lot of time to develop considering he's only 24.  If he's tired of being hit and willing to bet on himself he could bolt to the MLB if the Cardinals won't commit to him long term.  Even if it means a year or two in the minors making far less money.  At least that's how I'd pitch it as his agent to get top dollar.

Edited by Doc Brown

if i'm cleveland , no way am i extending baker a new contract past his 5th year option. it's time to move on.

for me, he doesn't even crack the Top 20 in QB's

that offense is incredibly talented and ready to go now. i'd look to free agency or trade for a proven player AND draft a QB on day 2.

6 hours ago, purple haze said:

Copy Editors usually write the headlines not the reporter.  Good chance she has nothing to do with that.  

If Mayfield played better she and other reporters would write about that; about big stats, memorable performances and playoff successes.  Unfortunately, he hasn’t played consistently even when healthy and his future there is questionable.  

Should the Browns make him the highest paid QB in the game or even close to  it?  Why or why not?  Should they find a new QB now, trade Mayfield or give him another year to prove himself?  He has the ball in his hands every play.  He can control the narrative.   When a guy doesn’t play well enough at that position this is what happens.  Not Cabot’s fault he ain’t that dude (yet, if ever).

Right, they shouldn't pay him anywhere near top QB money.  I do believe he is above average, but he is too inconsistent.  This year is kind of hard to say because he got hurt early in the 2nd game of the year and was obviously not the same as he was before.  But only the guys in the building, and Baker himself, will truly know how much that hampered him.  It is extremely odd to have the season he had last year with a brand new head coach, and then regress that bad in year 2 simply by chance.  I think the injury was the major factor, but he is on essentially a 1 year prove it deal next season.  

Either way, Mary Kay isn't a good writer.  There are have been more than once or twice that people have asked if she was serious after questions, and it's not just players and such.  Maybe she isn't good in the way she words questions, but being a writer for this many years, she should have a handle on it by now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.