USFL

Milanos Milano

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

I am surprised if it does. It looks like nobody is at these games. When it comes to football the only leagues fans care about are the NFL and CFB. All of these other leagues seem to fail.

Again.... you do know that every game is played in Birmingham, AL? The locals come out for Stallions games (their "home"team.)

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Again.... you do know that every game is played in Birmingham, AL? The locals come out for Stallions games (their "home"team.)

Is that really sustainable? At some point these teams have to play in their own markets. Curious to see if the NJ team plays at MetLife. They probably  won't come close to filling it but I am curious if they can fill the lower bowl.

I watched a couple of games two weeks ago and saw a lot of sloppy football. My wife asked what I thought and I said, "On any given play, you're seeing 22 guys who aren't good enough for the NFL." I watched yesterday's games and found them much more entertaining. Still not NFL-caliber, but I saw some amazing plays and two very competitive games.

It's not "must-see TV" like Bills' games, but it's football.

3 hours ago, Greg S said:

Is that really sustainable? At some point these teams have to play in their own markets. Curious to see if the NJ team plays at MetLife. They probably  won't come close to filling it but I am curious if they can fill the lower bowl.

Well if you are a TV network, like Fox and NBC who actually own the league, playing all your games at one stadium saves a lot of money. And if you get a million viewers for your big network games and that's enough to sell ads, then yeah it's sustainable.

I was at a friends house Saturday and he turned a game on. I think it was the Jersey Generals vs whoever and i was left with two impressions.

1. It took 3, 4 sometimes 5 guys to make a tackle, it was brutal to watch.

2. There were more players on the sidelines than there were people in the stands.

3 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

I was at a friends house Saturday and he turned a game on. I think it was the Jersey Generals vs whoever and i was left with two impressions.

1. It took 3, 4 sometimes 5 guys to make a tackle, it was brutal to watch.

2. There were more players on the sidelines than there were people in the stands.

Again. They play all games at one stadium in Birmingham. When the "Birmingham" team is playing, they get a decent crowd. The other 3 games not so much.

https://awfulannouncing.com/xfl/disney-xfl-espn-abc-fx-broadcast-deal.html

So it looks like there will be competing springs leagues in 2023. The USFL on Fox/NBC and the XFL on ABC/ESPN/FX. But they won't go fully head to head. The XFL plans to begin right after the Super Bowl in February, and the USFL starts in April.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

On 5/18/2022 at 8:56 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

So it looks like there will be competing springs leagues in 2023. The USFL on Fox/NBC and the XFL on ABC/ESPN/FX. But they won't go fully head to head. The XFL plans to begin right after the Super Bowl in February, and the USFL starts in April.

This is just an awful scenario imo. The talent pool is already so run down, adding another spring league is just going to make it worse. Best case for either of these leagues is for own of them to fold very quickly. Which is also quite possible. 

On 5/18/2022 at 8:56 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

Some of the head coaches have a LOT of NFL coaching experience (Jim Haslett and Wade Phillips).

Some of the head coaches have a LOT of NFL playing experience (Rod Woodson, Jim Haslett, Hines Ward, Anthony Becht j)

Some of the head coaches have a LOT of college coaching experience (Bob Stoops).

Some have little or none NFL or college coaching experience.

https://www.xfl.com/xfl-latest-news/xfl-announces-head-coaches

Very odd combination.

14 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Are they adding fake crowd noise? Every time the camera shows the stands of the Hou nj game there are 7 people there 

Fox seems to do that. NBC doesn't.

19 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

This weekend had three lopsided matchups. So I made a parlay bet for all the favorites to cover. +583.

And I lost this parlay on the last game. NJ win but not by 7. 🤬

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/18/2022 at 6:35 PM, Steptide said:

I've actually enjoyed watching the games the last 3 or 4 weeks. NJ has some good receivers Imo. Think this league could be decent if the talent level continues to go up

Playoffs are Saturday with games now played at Benson Field in Canton, OH at the Pro Football HOF. NJ looks like the best team going in but the Stars might surprise. Early on it looked like the South teams (BHM/NO) were the class of the league but I think the winner of the Stars/Generals playoff is your USFL champion.

Edit: I just went on DraftKings to see what the lines are and they're is nothing listed for USFL. Hmmm 

Edited by PromoTheRobot

On 6/18/2022 at 6:35 PM, Steptide said:

I've actually enjoyed watching the games the last 3 or 4 weeks. NJ has some good receivers Imo. Think this league could be decent if the talent level continues to go up

I doubt it will. The top talent will always go to the NFL. Between the USFL and XFL both leagues will get players who couldn't make it in the NFL. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.