If the Colts lose to the Jaguars on Sunday...

HappyDays

Awesome! I would love to see this. But even if the Colts lost, something tells me there’s no way that Raiders interim coach will agree to play for a tie. He seems like one of those old school types. Not to mention they are divisional foes who’d (foolishly) love to kill the opposing team’s chance at the playoffs even if that belief ultimately causes them to lose and kill their own chance. Of the two teams, I think Staley would be cool with it, but probably zero chance we’d see a one game truce. 

9 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Madden’s Raiders in 1976 had a chance late in the season to retain the #1 seed and jettison the Steelers from playoffs. The two time defending champion Steelers were the hottest team in NFL history at the time, yielding a total of 28 points over 9 games.  All Madden needed to do was lose to the Bengals and the Steelers would be gone. Instead Madden blew out the Bengals and then the Steelers in the AFC championship game.  The point is, you play to win the game. 

That was one of the more "lucky" postseasons for a team ever though.

Raiders narrowly escaped to beat New England.

Steelers totally annihilated the Colts.

But both the Steelers 1,000 yard rushers were lost for the season in the Colts game.

The 15-1 Raiders against a Steelers team with almost twice the point differential of the Raiders.............that might have been the ultimate matchup game of the 1970's.

I guess fortune favored the bold that postseason!

That Steeler team had a PD of over 200 in just 14 games.......that's crazy.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Awesome! I would love to see this. But even if the Colts lost, something tells me there’s no way that Raiders interim coach will agree to play for a tie. He seems like one of those old school types. Not to mention they are divisional foes who’d (foolishly) love to kill the opposing team’s chance at the playoffs even if that belief ultimately causes them to lose and kill their own chance. Of the two teams, I think Staley would be cool with it, but probably zero chance we’d see a one game truce. 

I think Davis would be all for embarrassing the NFL after what happened with Gruden.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That was one of the more "lucky" postseasons for a team ever though.

Raiders narrowly escaped to beat New England.

Steelers totally annihilated the Colts.

But both the Steelers 1,000 yard rushers were lost for the season in the Colts game.

The 15-1 Raiders against a Steelers team with almost twice the point differential of the Raiders.............that might have been the ultimate matchup game of the 1970's.

I guess fortune favored the bold that postseason!

That Steeler team had a PD of over 200 in just 14 games.......that's crazy.

I always figured that the tuck rule was karmic payback for the roughing call on Sugar Bear Hamilton. (It was such a bad call given that era, although it'd be called roughing nowadays). Ben Dreith was the ref and is hated to this day in New England. They even mentioned it in a Buff News piece from last year! https://buffalonews.com/sports/football/sunday-playbook-referee-ben-dreith-remembered-for-raiders-pats-call-and-kelly-getting-the-business/article_e4c05fd6-fde4-11ea-af8f-33d1bdbaa5bd.html

• Like (+1) 1

So after the opening touchback, the receiving team snaps the ball on first down and then stands there for fifteen minutes while the defense stands there staring at them. The quarter expires on a kneel down. The teams switch ends of the field and do it again until halftime? Second half....rinse and repeat. The game will be over in a little over an hour. The halftime  studio analysis will be priceless. Only to be topped by the Sideline Reporter's in depth coaches comments on second half 'adjustments'.

Hilarious! 

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

So after the opening touchback, the receiving team snaps the ball on first down and then stands there for fifteen minutes while the defense stands there staring at them. The quarter expires on a kneel down. The teams switch ends of the field and do it again until halftime? Second half....rinse and repeat. The game will be over in a little over an hour. The halftime  studio analysis will be priceless. Only to be topped by the Sideline Reporter's in depth coaches comments on second half 'adjustments'.

Hilarious! 

Something like this happened at the soccer world cup in 1982 in Gijon/Spain. Germany and Austria played the last game of group A. With a 1:0 or 2:0 victory for Germany, both would advance to the next round and Algeria would be out. The first 10 minutes were like a normal soccer game, until Germany scored the 1:0. For the remaining 80 minutes, both teams passed the ball around in their own half without any serious attempt to attack. The German goalie touched the ball twice, once on a pass back from a teammate and once on a throw-in. The Austrian goalie had a similarly quiet afternoon. The game is now known as the non-aggression pact (usually a political term) of Gijon or the "Disgrace of Gijon". The German TV announcer actually refused to comment on the game in the second half.

The most important positive outcome of the game was that the FIFA changed their rules so that now all four teams in a group play their last games at the same time.

Edited by DrW

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

No one does anything risky, it's all defense, and no one is trying to score, so they both get the 1 point for tying and then they can try their luck for a second point in OT.

I can see a pair of NFL teams playing in that manner, in theory.  Very vanilla football, shooting for a 0-0 tie! 

Hockey is a totally different sport because all of your players play offense and defense.  In football, having your offense play vanilla doesn't really help your defense, and these teams will NOT be playing for a tie, regardless of what happens in the Colts game.

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Hilarious! 

Or, do the exact opposite.

The teams take turns letting each other score 75+ yard touchdowns and pad the hell out of their stats. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

What would be sooo entertaining is the inevitable “ mistake” where someone would have the ability to score but shouldn’t.  So would they just fall over and give up?   Try and act like something happened etc. would be hilarious.  And I so want Chris Collinsworth announcing just making up stuff to try and cover it.  

4 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

Madden’s Raiders in 1976 had a chance late in the season to retain the #1 seed and jettison the Steelers from playoffs. The two time defending champion Steelers were the hottest team in NFL history at the time, yielding a total of 28 points over 9 games.  All Madden needed to do was lose to the Bengals and the Steelers would be gone. Instead Madden blew out the Bengals and then the Steelers in the AFC championship game.  The point is, you play to win the game. 

There was a Jets game as game #256.  I can’t recall who they played but the team knew they play the Jets if they lost.  If they won they would have p,aye done of the hottest teams houston. They chose to rest everyone. Jets won at home.

Jets beat them the next week.

this started the flexing of games on week 17 and only try to put a meaningful  game here. 

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

...there might be a must-watch Sunday Night Football game.

if I was the commissioner I’d set up a rule..if this fix happened, both teams would not go to the playoffs and npbe penalized big time with draft picks.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.