How the Bills have used more Gap Scheme concepts to improve their run game.

HoofHearted

13 minutes ago, Simon said:

'Preciate you doing all these; it's been a great addition to the board!

Thought you might get a chuckle out of this:

Why not to type right after a game

I literally sit about 20' directly in front of Daboll........it's not been a peaceful place to sit most of the season........there have been games this year where you aren't sure if it's just raining yet again or if it's the overspray from people critiquing his work.         

42 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I literally sit about 20' directly in front of Daboll........it's not been a peaceful place to sit most of the season........there have been games this year where you aren't sure if it's just raining yet again or if it's the overspray from people critiquing his work.         

He's not bad when he's just putting his superior talent into position to make plays instead of trying to outsmart everybody. The problem is that he just can't help himself and McDermott has to put a harness on him and plant his feet every few weeks. I want coach concentrating on doing his job, not worrying about having to figure out how to rein in a key assistant at any given moment. I'm just not convinced the current model is set up for sustainable long term success.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Ray Stonada said:

The Bills could also run less RPOs and more straight runs. Some plays would work better without slowing down the back. 

On the RPO play with McKenzie, it looked as if he would break a long run if Josh didn’t keep it.

We broke that play down...it looked like read option but was actually QB counter, Allen made the right read on scraping LB. Didn't follow Morse pulling because playside DE crashed inside.

• Thank you (+1) 1

It is interesting the way they have diversified the run game in recent weeks because early in the year their plan was definitely to run fewer different running concepts but execute them better. The first 6 games or so they were using about half a dozen run concepts over and over and while there was some success in being a little more efficient teams soon cottoned one and we hit a mid season rushing slump.

They still haven't quite got the balance right yet but they have started at least to move it more consistently on those running plays.

15 hours ago, johnnychemo said:

Sorry but that's just not the case. Running qb's are not more prone to injury, based on a rather large sample size of all orthopedic injuries in the NFL from 1980-2018.

https://www.theundroppables.com/medical-myths-mobile-qbs/

https://www.filmstudybaltimore.com/new-study-quarterbacks-that-run-most-are-not-injured-most/

Sorry but your study refers to running QB’s not QB’s that are being used as though they are a running back. Show me a study on the shelf life of a running back. 

As I said, I am ok with scrambling and extending plays. I am not ok  with pounding a once in a generational talent QB into the line or exposing him to hits as though he is a running back.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Sorry but your study refers to running QB’s not QB’s that are being used as though they are a running back. Show me a study on the shelf life of a running back. 

As I said, I am ok with scrambling and extending plays. I am not ok  with pounding a once in a generational talent QB into the line or exposing him to hits as though he is a running back.

It’s crazy the way you cringe when a QB gets tackled, but never give a thought to the constant pounding a RB takes with every carry.  I understand their bodies are different, and RBs know how to take a hit, but watching Allen get hit gives me so much appreciation for the punishment that RBs are able to withstand. 

16 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

No, I meant athletic. Outside of Morse, Dawkins, and Bates we have a bunch of big lumbering guys who don't have great feet and don't move particularly well in the open field and on the second level. The issue you are seeing is that when we run any of our zone scheme stuff it's a zone overtake scheme. The entire OL is on tracks and then have to move in unison in order for the zone overtake to work. Their rules are simple - are you covered or uncovered. If you're covered you block your guy back to the uncovered OL - he'll eventually pick him up - and then you work to second level. You can see if they aren't moving in unison how this is an issue. Our problem is we have a few athletic guys and a few non-athletic guys on the OL - it's a hodge podge of personnel. What they can ALL do however is block down! This sets them on their path right now and allows them to get immediate push. This is exactly what teams like the Colts and Titans do. Tons of gap scheme runs.

The problem is that these gap runs don't match up with our preferred passing concepts so there is typically a discontinuity of the run game with the pass game. This was discussed alot by someone in the national blogging sphere but I forget who at the moment. If they want to run the offense that Daboll really wants to run and the passing concepts that Allen seems to do well with then they'll need to make changes to the types of players that they've targeted for the interior OL.

9 minutes ago, BrooklynBills said:

The problem is that these gap runs don't match up with our preferred passing concepts so there is typically a discontinuity of the run game with the pass game. This was discussed alot by someone in the national blogging sphere but I forget who at the moment. If they want to run the offense that Daboll really wants to run and the passing concepts that Allen seems to do well with then they'll need to make changes to the types of players that they've targeted for the interior OL.

How so? Can you explain the discontinuity?

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

I think he takes more of a beating in the pocket to be honest. 

17 hours ago, First Round Bust said:

good analysis and hopeful that the schemes and play-calling are improving, as in no more Jax games !

As mentioned our opponent has a vote in our success or failure, and the Falcons front four is below average, so have to wonder why we did not commit to more runs in the first half esp when Josh was struggling...i know he made a lot of alert calls at the line not sure if he was checking into or out of run calls..there also was a 4Q RPO where he gave to 19 and then pulled ii out almost as if 19 handed it back to Josh..almost a red zone fumble...

Game script.  Had the ball 4 times.  2 tds.  3rd drive int on third and goal.  Next drive before have 2nd play Int.  The 3 consecutive Ints is what stalled the offense.  In the Second and 3rd quarters.  Not play calling.  

14 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I would have been banned from the stadium before the first game was over if i sat in those seats. 

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Daboll tries to conduct science experiments on supposedly inferior opponents and it often explodes in his face.  It’s highly frustrating.

agreed, he either goes vanilla/preseason to not show anything or he gets too cute- it has cost us games and homefield this year. i get it for a series here or there but he tries to make it work with the wrong personnel a lot. 

Edited by Robert Paulson

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.