Confused by a stat graphic Fox kept showing

The Poojer

15 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Your brain may hurt but I'm sure your ears feel a lot better once Sanchez and Kugler got off the air. 

Sanchez wasn’t terrible.  We have been exposed to worse like Charles Davis continuing the same cliches he spies in madden , Collinsworth , who yesterday said the Bills could not get the 1 seed because of the “ loss at KC” , while the Bengals still can get it!  Given those performances , Sanchez was pretty benign. 

(7:10) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass short left to G.Davis to ATL 15 for 15 yards (S.Williams).

3rd & 10 at ATL 30 (1-1)

(5:17) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass short right to S.Diggs to ATL 4 for 5 yards (A.Terrell).

3rd & 4 at ATL 9 (2-2)

(3:33) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass incomplete short left to S.Diggs.

3rd & Goal at ATL 3 (2-3)

(3:29) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass incomplete short right to S.Diggs. PENALTY on ATL-A.Terrell, Defensive Pass Interference, 2 yards, enforced at ATL 3 - No Play.

4th & Goal at ATL 3 (play doesnt count because of penalty)

(2:15) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass incomplete short left to G.Davis. Buffalo challenged the incomplete pass ruling, and the play was REVERSED. (Shotgun) J.Allen pass short left to G.Davis ran ob at ATL 8 for 10 yards.

3rd & 10 at ATL 18 (3-4)

(:39) (Shotgun) J.Allen right end for 4 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

3rd & Goal at ATL 4 (4-5)

(9:20) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass short right to S.Diggs to BUF 39 for 13 yards (M.Walker).

3rd & 7 at BUF 26 (5-6)

(3:31) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass short right intended for C.Beasley INTERCEPTED by D.Harmon (F.Oluokun) at ATL -1. Touchback. BUF-S.Brown was injured during the play. S.Brown walks off.

3rd & 8 at ATL 10 (5-7)

(14:14) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass short middle intended for S.Diggs INTERCEPTED by F.Oluokun (M.Walker) at BUF 43. F.Oluokun to BUF 25 for 18 yards (D.Dawkins). Pass tipped prior to INT.

3rd & 7 at BUF 32 (5-8)

(8:53) (Shotgun) J.Allen scrambles right end to ATL 20 for 14 yards (K.Sheffield).

3rd & 3 at ATL 34 (6-9)

(13:47) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass short right to S.Diggs pushed ob at ATL 20 for 8 yards (A.Terrell).

3rd & 9 at ATL 28 (6-10)

(12:59) (Shotgun) J.Allen right guard to ATL 18 for 2 yards (F.Oluokun).

4th & 1 at ATL 20 (This is the first 4th down that we converted without penalty)

Edited by Scott7975

Fox usually goes for the meathead and geek combo in the broadcast booth with a female on the sidelines.  They don’t always go that route, but it’s their default.  I think they went with the Sanchize hoping for something close to Romo, but it’s more like a bad version of Rich Gannon.  I’m a big Gus Johnson fan but for the life of me I don’t understand why they partner him with Randy Moss (who I like as a guy in the studio, but not so much in game).  I also loathe Joe Buck, but that is still their best team.  Radio guys are much better in most circumstances but syncing things up is a pain in the butt. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DrPJax said:

Sanchez wasn’t terrible.  We have been exposed to worse like Charles Davis continuing the same cliches he spies in madden , Collinsworth , who yesterday said the Bills could not get the 1 seed because of the “ loss at KC” , while the Bengals still can get it!  Given those performances , Sanchez was pretty benign. 

I think he meant loss at Tennessee.  Either that or his love of Mahomes made him think KC won given he covered the game.

7 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

(7:10) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass short left to G.Davis to ATL 15 for 15 yards (S.Williams).

3rd & 10 at ATL 30 (1-1)

(5:17) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass short right to S.Diggs to ATL 4 for 5 yards (A.Terrell).

3rd & 4 at ATL 9 (2-2)

(3:33) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass incomplete short left to S.Diggs.

3rd & Goal at ATL 3 (2-3)

(3:29) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass incomplete short right to S.Diggs. PENALTY on ATL-A.Terrell, Defensive Pass Interference, 2 yards, enforced at ATL 3 - No Play.

4th & Goal at ATL 3 (play doesnt count because of penalty)

(2:15) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass incomplete short left to G.Davis. Buffalo challenged the incomplete pass ruling, and the play was REVERSED. (Shotgun) J.Allen pass short left to G.Davis ran ob at ATL 8 for 10 yards.

3rd & 10 at ATL 18 (3-4)

(:39) (Shotgun) J.Allen right end for 4 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

3rd & Goal at ATL 4 (4-5)

(9:20) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass short right to S.Diggs to BUF 39 for 13 yards (M.Walker).

3rd & 7 at BUF 26 (5-6)

(3:31) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass short right intended for C.Beasley INTERCEPTED by D.Harmon (F.Oluokun) at ATL -1. Touchback. BUF-S.Brown was injured during the play. S.Brown walks off.

3rd & 8 at ATL 10 (5-7)

(14:14) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass short middle intended for S.Diggs INTERCEPTED by F.Oluokun (M.Walker) at BUF 43. F.Oluokun to BUF 25 for 18 yards (D.Dawkins). Pass tipped prior to INT.

3rd & 7 at BUF 32 (5-8)

(8:53) (Shotgun) J.Allen scrambles right end to ATL 20 for 14 yards (K.Sheffield).

3rd & 3 at ATL 34 (6-9)

(13:47) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass short right to S.Diggs pushed ob at ATL 20 for 8 yards (A.Terrell).

3rd & 9 at ATL 28 (6-10)

(12:59) (Shotgun) J.Allen right guard to ATL 18 for 2 yards (F.Oluokun).

4th & 1 at ATL 20 (This is the first 4th down that we converted without penalty)

Scott, why did you leave out the last two third down attempts? The two from late in the 4th quarter?

11)  3rd & 1 at BUF 35

(3:21 - 4th) J.Allen up the middle to BUF 37 for 2 yards (G.Jarrett). BUF-R.Bates was injured during the play.

12)  3rd & 12 at BUF 46

(0:39 - 4th) J.Allen kneels to BUF 45 for -1 yards.

There were 12 third down attempts. There were two fourth down attempts, one of which was converted and one of which was a no play. Neither of those affected the number of third down attempts. There were 12. You can see all 12 of them, plus the 2 4th down attempts, in my post on Page 2 of this thread.

Twelve 3rd down attempts. And that's how many were listed in the official stats for the game, 7 for 12.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/matchup?gameId=401326569

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Scott, why did you leave out the last two third down attempts? The two from late in the 4th quarter?

11)  3rd & 1 at BUF 35

(3:21 - 4th) J.Allen up the middle to BUF 37 for 2 yards (G.Jarrett). BUF-R.Bates was injured during the play.

12)  3rd & 12 at BUF 46

There were 12 third down attempts. There were two fourth down attempts, one of which was converted and one of which was a no play. Neither of those affected the number of third down attempts. There were 12. You can see all 12 of them, plus the 2 4th down attempts, in my post on Page 2 of this thread.

Twelve 3rd down attempts. And that's how many were listed in the official stats for the game, 7 for 12.

You are correct, they are counting the 2 3rd down attempts even when we went for it on 4th. I had thought that the when going for the 4th, it wouldn't count the third down attempt in the stats, but they do. I stand corrected. 

3 minutes ago, sunshynman said:

You are correct, they are counting the 2 3rd down attempts even when we went for it on 4th. I had thought that the when going for the 4th, it wouldn't count the third down attempt in the stats, but they do. I stand corrected. 

It sounded strange to me, but I wasn't sure myself. Went back to check it.

And if I had a nickel for every time I needed to correct myself here...

See you on the boards.

• Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

11)  3rd & 1 at BUF 35

12)  3rd & 12 at BUF 46

I was just trying to show the Bills  were indeed 4/5 third down conversions before the fourth down conversions the OP was confused about.  Which there were actually more third down attempts before the fourth down conversion. You are correct though.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.