Confused by a stat graphic Fox kept showing

The Poojer

41 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't like it when people get promoted because, well, people like them.  Mark Sanchez simply was not good enough to play football in the NFL, but somehow the NFL let him play anyway.   He isn't any better at announcing than he was at playing, and still Fox puts him on the air.   All he has going for him is good looks and a nice smile.  He's boring as hell and often wrong.  

The worse example is Michael Irvin, a career-long jerk whom the NFL network continues to glorify.  

At least the NFL seems finally to have gotten away from Ray Lewis.  

Sanchez seemed so distracted and disengaged yesterday. He was always looking somewhere else. He really brought very little to the broadcast. 

13 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Sanchez seemed so distracted and disengaged yesterday. He was always looking somewhere else. He really brought very little to the broadcast. 

He spent half the afternoon confusing Dane Jackson with Taron Johnson. His color commentary is broadcasting’s version of Butt Fumble.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Poojer said:

So that accounts for 3/4. We definitely had another 4th down attempt, which means an additional failed 3rd down conversion

They don't count it as a failed 3rd down if you go for it on 4th. It's either a failed or not 4th down attempt then.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Just Jack said:

They did get the shot of people tailgating, not sure about the others. 

Some of the food they showed was making me extremely hungry.

One guy had a grill so big, it was commercial grade, and he must have had like 50 Italian sausages on that thing, or more!

I'm getting hungry now!

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

From the people that tried to resurrect Fox Trax...

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

How could we forget the highlighted hockey puck....

Hockey on Fox made me sympathize with my sister's cat after all the years I tormented it with a laser pointer.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, sunshynman said:

They don't count it as a failed 3rd down if you go for it on 4th. It's either a failed or not 4th down attempt then.

Don't like that logic, but figured it was something like that.  Thanks for allowing me to stop obsessing over it

They used to put relevant stats on the screen a lot more. Like, they'd flash an RB or WR or DE or a defense's stats between plays because they were having a huge impact on the game.

Nowadays, Fox just has a stat line for the offense's QB pasted permanently up there, even when that tells none of the story. Lazy.

5 hours ago, CNYfan said:

I also felt that the continued showing of JA17's passing statistics was out of place as the Bills were running every down.  I would have liked to have seen Devn's line put up after his runs. 

That failure was obtuse graphics in my mind. 

I hate the Fox coverage.  Very few in game stats from other games.  Halftime show has goofy Bradshaw racing thru the highlights and butchering names.

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't like it when people get promoted because, well, people like them.  Mark Sanchez simply was not good enough to play football in the NFL, but somehow the NFL let him play anyway.   He isn't any better at announcing than he was at playing, and still Fox puts him on the air.   All he has going for him is good looks and a nice smile.  He's boring as hell and often wrong.  

The worse example is Michael Irvin, a career-long jerk whom the NFL network continues to glorify.  

Mark drove me crazy. All he could talk about was Allen’s ints. Didnt talk about anything else. He just sucks all around, he talks like he is having mini-strokes. 

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Some of the food they showed was making me extremely hungry.

One guy had a grill so big, it was commercial grade, and he must have had like 50 Italian sausages on that thing, or more!

I'm getting hungry now!

That was the one I remembered; I think he was selling those.  

10 hours ago, mattynh said:

I bet Terry Bradshaw put that up there.

Terry I think is slipping into dementia, and don't say it meanly but seriously. He has said some things the past few weeks as I have watched that would not be acceptable for a person new to the sport. 

8 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Sheesh, why don't you and Butt Fumble get a room?! He's as disgusting to look at when not playing football as he is when playing football:cry:

At least we know your type now Shaw...:flirt:

Edited by Sherlock Holmes

7 hours ago, K-9 said:

He spent half the afternoon confusing Dane Jackson with Taron Johnson. His color commentary is broadcasting’s version of Butt Fumble.

It was so painful but yet so odd.  About every 15 or so plays he would say something that was very technical and was really insightful.  But the other 14 plays were complete nonsense, entirely inaccurate, or just jibberish.  

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, sunshynman said:

NO. Third downs failure and success has nothing whatsoever to do with what you do on 4th down.

And there's proof of that from this game. Here it is:

The ESPN game summary shows the Bills as 7/12 on 3rd down efficiency.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/matchup?gameId=401326569

And below are all Buffalo 3rd downs and the two fourth down attempts, also from ESPN.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay/_/gameId/401326569

It's very easy to see that there are twelve 3rd down attempts. Those 12 absolutely DO include the two 3rd downs that preceded 4th down attempts.

Again, as I said on the first page, the disparity mentioned in the OP results from one of the 4th down conversion attempts being called a NO PLAY and not ever actually occurring, because the Bills failed in the conversion, but the Falcons committed a penalty on the play, which the Bills accepted. The 4th down attempt was called a NO PLAY. It never officially happened. 

The Bills had twelve 3rd down attempts. If they didn't count 3rd down attempts followed by 4th down attempts, there would only be ten or eleven (because of the no play) attempts. Instead there are twelve, which is factually correct, there were actually 12 3rd down situations.

1)  3rd & 10 at ATL 30

(7:10 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass short left to G.Davis to ATL 15 for 15 yards (S.Williams).

2)  3rd & 4 at ATL 9

(5:17 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass short right to S.Diggs to ATL 4 for 5 yards (A.Terrell).

3)  3rd & 3 at ATL 3

(3:32 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass incomplete short left to S.Diggs.

4th & Goal at ATL 3

(3:29 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass incomplete short right to S.Diggs. PENALTY on ATL-A.Terrell, Defensive Pass Interference, 2 yards, enforced at ATL 3 - No Play. (The next play was a 1st and goal from the 1 yard line.)

4)  3rd & 10 at ATL 18

(2:15 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass incomplete short left to G.Davis. Buffalo challenged the incomplete pass ruling, and the play was REVERSED. (Shotgun) J.Allen pass short left to G.Davis ran ob at ATL 8 for 10 yards.

5)  3rd & Goal at ATL 4

(0:35 - 1st) Josh Allen 4 Yard Rush T.Bass extra point is GOOD, Center-R.Ferguson, Holder-M.Haack.

6)  3rd & 7 at BUF 26

(9:20 - 2nd) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass short right to S.Diggs to BUF 39 for 13 yards (M.Walker).

7)  3rd & 8 at ATL 10

(3:20 - 2nd) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass short right intended for C.Beasley INTERCEPTED by D.Harmon (F.Oluokun) at ATL -1. Touchback. BUF-S.Brown was injured during the play. S.Brown walks off.

08)  3rd & 7 at BUF 32  

(14:14 - 3rd) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass short middle intended for S.Diggs INTERCEPTED by F.Oluokun (M.Walker) at BUF 43. F.Oluokun to BUF 25 for 18 yards (D.Dawkins). Pass tipped prior to INT.

9)  3rd & 3 at ATL 34

(8:53 - 3rd) (Shotgun) J.Allen scrambles right end to ATL 20 for 14 yards (K.Sheffield).

10)  3rd & 9 at ATL 28

(13:47 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass short right to S.Diggs pushed ob at ATL 20 for 8 yards (A.Terrell).

4th & 1 at ATL 20

(13:47 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Allen right guard to ATL 18 for 2 yards (F.Oluokun).

11)  3rd & 1 at BUF 35

(3:21 - 4th) J.Allen up the middle to BUF 37 for 2 yards (G.Jarrett). BUF-R.Bates was injured during the play.

12)  3rd & 12 at BUF 46

(0:39 - 4th) J.Allen kneels to BUF 45 for -1 yards.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.