Missing Out on Top Seed Was a Blessing in Disguise

Gugny

I’ve had a similar thought, believing they might have more success when not fighting the elements. But the caveat is only if they’re up against a team with a power running game that the defense can’t stop consistently. I’d have more confidence in the Bills offense in mild to no weather conditions. I’d rather see the run-first opposing team have to play catch-up with their passing game. 
That said, would still rather have the comfort of their home field and no travel. 

Josh will be fine in Buffalo weather.  He just needs to learn how to play in it. He needs to take something off those fireballs he throws. And his tendency to hold the ball so long give the d-linemen time to get their hands up when he throws. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

It is, but how many of those were his fault? He had some overthrows and made bad throws but how many drops were there? One of them was a throw to Diggs in the end zone that went right through Diggs's hands

Our receivers have drops in a lot of our games. Josh was seriously off yesterday compared to his normal self. The overthrows, in my opinion, tend to occur more in bad weather.

The weather also affected the Falcons. So let's review:

Josh: 11/26, 120 yds, 3 INT against the 20th ranked pass defense which had 9 INT pre-game.

Matt Ryan: 13/23, 197 yds, 0 INT against the #1 ranked pass defense which has 19 INT pre-game.

On a typical day, Matt Ryan is not a better passing QB than Josh Allen. He's no slouch, with stats in the same ballpark - other than TDs. Yesterday, however he had more success passing the football in the weather against a better defense.

Of course we can say that Josh outplayed him overall - we won by 14 pts and Josh had a great day running - but it was a bad passing day for Josh Allen. 

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

NOOCH!  Normally, I'm with you.  But for this one, I think the proof is in the pudding.  It's a trend.  I still think the Bills are the cream of the crop in the AFC and I think Josh Allen is the best QB in the AFC.  But the bad weather simply does not bode well.

I totally agree that a couple of the INTs were not necessarily on Josh yesterday.  I also think that early drops were a factor.

I'd just prefer nicer weather once the tournament starts.

Gugny is right about that.  Bills saw that "luck" was not going their way so Bills decided to win a different way.

It is good they have that option and I am sure the linemen enjoyed that.

I would like less Josh running however; maybe they need a backup QB who can run as well as throw.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

so what’s the difference between “beat ourselves won’t happen again” and “Josh just doesn’t play well in bad weather”

That was a very poorly coached game.  There is no way we should ever lose to a team who's offense is lead by McCorkle Jones.

The one caveat to all of this: Sean McDermott has yet to coach the Bills to a road win in the playoffs.

I generally agree that maybe playing games in Orchard Park in January is not the best chance for our team to be its most productive, but...I'd like to see the team get this monkey off its back this postseason by proving they can win on the road.

19 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

Our receivers have drops in a lot of our games. Josh was seriously off yesterday compared to his normal self. The overthrows, in my opinion, tend to occur more in bad weather.

The weather also affected the Falcons. So let's review:

Josh: 11/26, 120 yds, 3 INT against the 20th ranked pass defense which had 9 INT pre-game.

Matt Ryan: 13/23, 197 yds, 0 INT against the #1 ranked pass defense which has 19 INT pre-game.

On a typical day, Matt Ryan is not a better passing QB than Josh Allen. He's no slouch, with stats in the same ballpark - other than TDs. Yesterday, however he had more success passing the football in the weather against a better defense.

Of course we can say that Josh outplayed him overall - we won by 14 pts and Josh had a great day running - but it was a bad passing day for Josh Allen. 

our wr / and offense struggles mightly against sticky man. theres no one that absolutlely blows by with speed. and thers no jump ball 50/50 guy on the team. gabe davis is close but not chase, any of LAC WR or GB WRs. knox cant beat sticky man either. and if they dont get refs to call the illegal contact and holdings (last year KC champ game) theyre in trouble. other effects of this lead to allen holding the ball longer. more running around. more OL holding. and sacks

really only guy is mackenzie and hes a gadget player when all our WR are healthy

allen is phenomenal. He still has another level to reach in term of pure passing/ timing/ touch/ all the throws. he likes deep / short comebacks (no YAC) , and sideline. thats it.

5 minutes ago, Draconator said:

So he should do all no-look passes and 3 pump fakes per pass?

go watch the 2nd tipped INT. hes staring entire time and the LB spy tipped that EASILY...... dont be a clown. such a clown comment

Edited by balln

There is no “proof” that Josh can’t play well in cold weather. In fact, there is not even any “pudding”.  He had a bad game Sunday, at least as far as his passing is concerned, in the snow. He had a bad game in sunny Jacksonville. There is absolutely no data-based reason to come to this conclusion. Give me at least 10 games in similar weather and then start looking at the data. However, the findings would be more powerful if they was at least an N of 20.  This is not even mentioning the extra week off they would have had if they had gotten bye. This is a nonstarter for me

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.