Week 18: Jets at Bills - a W wins the AFC East!

YoloinOhio

25 minutes ago, FFadpecr said:

It's a brutal matchup because the Colts "run-first, grind the clock, and control the game" mentality/philosophy in a 1-game do-or-die scenario is scary for a Pass-First Offense that puts so much pressure on its QB. The physicality of the Colts in a 1-game playoff can force the opposing QB (in this case, Josh) to press and make mistakes. Then once the Colts get ahead of the sticks, it's game over. They just run, run, pass when they need to, stay on the field, eat up clock, etc.

I've seen it first hand with the 2007 and 2011 Giants under Tom Coughlin who had the same philosophy. They were built to upset Passing teams in the postseason.

You DO NOT want to see the Colts in Round 1 under any circumstance. The Bills are better off losing in Week 18 to the Jets.

Earlier this year, I might agree with you.  But in the last 2-3 games, I'd argue that our offense has been clicking and able to score a lot of points (through the air but also on the ground).  We have the sort of team that can handle a run-first, eat clock sort of team.  If we get ahead, Colts are not really built to catch up quickly.  But the reverse isn't true: We are built to score a lot of points in a hurry.  Sure, there are factors like weather, injuries, Covid, etc., but as things are right now, I think we'd handle the Colts in close one.

Edited by TheWei44
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, FFadpecr said:

And won.

Exactly my point: Carson Wentz threw for 57 yards (bottomed out) and the Colts STILL beat a Top 5 team in the AFC despite it.

Imagine if Wentz plays well?

Hence why they're the scariest matchup in the AFC for the Bills.

I don't like the Colts match up either but they are also a 9-7 team...they are coming up short a lot.

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, FFadpecr said:

It's a brutal matchup because the Colts "run-first, grind the clock, and control the game" mentality/philosophy in a 1-game do-or-die scenario is scary for a Pass-First Offense that puts so much pressure on its QB. The physicality of the Colts in a 1-game playoff can force the opposing QB (in this case, Josh) to press and make mistakes. Then once the Colts get ahead of the sticks, it's game over. They just run, run, pass when they need to, stay on the field, eat up clock, etc.

I've seen it first hand with the 2007 and 2011 Giants under Tom Coughlin who had the same philosophy. They were built to upset Passing teams in the postseason.

You DO NOT want to see the Colts in Round 1 under any circumstance. The Bills are better off losing in Week 18 to the Jets.

Afraid of the Colt running all over us?  Then score first and score often.  Let's see what their vaunted run game does when they are down 14 the entire game.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, TheWei44 said:

Earlier this year, I might agree with you.  But in the last 2-3 games, I'd argue that our offense has been clicking and able to score a lot of points (through the air but also on the ground).  We have the sort of team that can handle a run-first, eat clock sort of team.  If we get ahead, Colts are not really built to catch up quickly.  But the reverse isn't true: We are built to score a lot of points in a hurry.  Sure, there are factors like weather, injuries, Covid, etc., but as things are right now, I think we'd handle the Colts in close one.

Some people are worried about the Colts because of the blowout loss. I think if the Bills play them again it will be very similar to last year's playoff game. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

19 minutes ago, sven233 said:

Afraid of the Colt running all over us?  Then score first and score often.  Let's see what their vaunted run game does when they are down 14 the entire game.

that requires McDermott receiving the ball if he wins the toss- which he will never do.

he defers all time 

2 minutes ago, FFadpecr said:

They will be 10-7 after beating JAX.

They started out 1-5.

Which means a 9-2 finish in the final 11 games. 1 of the 2 losses they blew a 14 point lead and lost in OT to the Titans. The other loss was by 3 this past weekend.

Colts are a sleeping giant in the playoffs.

In last year's playoff game, the Colts won the LOS on both sides of the ball. A miracle 2-minute TD drive right before halftime saved that game.

A game against the Colts will be a tough game. Credit to the Bills on that 2 minute drive which played a huge part in getting the win. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

RoRow, what’s this “personal” thing for Dawkins?

Sanders may be legit injured, but I can’t help remembering that he missed most of training camp and the first week of practice with a foot injury - was that “saving himself for the season?” ….and then his timing with Josh was clearly off in the first couple games.  Anyway it wouldn’t surprise me if Sanders is “saving himself for the playoffs”, which could have its up-side, but again - I think all these receivers need their practice reps with Josh, especially “I’m here to cut through the wind” fastball hurling Josh.

Glad to see Bates out there even if limited.

1 hour ago, FFadpecr said:

Holy ***** dude, turn in your fan card

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, FFadpecr said:

They started out 1-5.

Which means a 9-2 finish in the final 11 games. 1 of the 2 losses they blew a 14 point lead and lost in OT to the Titans. The other loss was by 3 this past weekend.

In last year's playoff game, the Colts won the LOS on both sides of the ball. A miracle 2-minute TD drive right before halftime saved that game.

You missed them losing to Tampa in that stretch. The bills have beat two teams going to the playoffs and the Colts have beaten 3. The game script went Indy’s way in first game. Pretty sure Star & Edmonds being back for playoffs will matter a lot. Bills shut Taylor down last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FFadpecr said:

Yep, totally. I guess you were asleep during this game?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/recap/_/gameId/401326480

Nope, I remember it vividly.

Its just that :

1) The Bills are playing much better now than they were then

2) I believe the Bills would be fired up for revenge against a team that bullied them earlier in the year

3) Intentionally losing the division crown and a home playoff game to the Patriots in order to avoid ANY team, let alone a Carson Wentz QB’d Wild Card team, is loser mentality, cowardly sissy foolishness

4) The most likely outcome if we go in as the 7th seed is a trip to KC in the opening round. If you think we have a better chance of beating the Chiefs at Arrowhead than the Colts at home, I think you’re nuts

In conclusion: don’t be a coward. Win the division for a second straight season (only the third time we’ll have EVER done that) and let the chips fall where they may. Fear no one.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 9

Rooting for a Bills W of course and a Browns W over several Cinci backups.  I like the fact that we'd have the revenge factor over Indy.  A chip on our shoulders after not only being beaten earlier, but embarrassed on the Bills homefield.  McDermott is always at his best in these revenge games.  Against NE, i think the Pats would have that extra chip having just lost round 2 to Buffalo.

36 minutes ago, FFadpecr said:

They started out 1-5.

Why are great plays considered miracles?  That’s why Allen is making his money.

The Colts did not dominate us on both sides of the ball.  We held them mostly in check until the mid 4th when they went off.  
It was 24-10 in the mid 4th quarter.

• Agree 1

Colts started out 1-3 this year . They will finish the season 9-4 by beating Jacksonville. Which is a nice recovery. Colts caught Bills at a great time this year with their starting NT & MLB out. Definitely helped Colts running game. Game script played into Indy’s hands. McKenzie’s fumble after falling untouched for a Indy ST TD turned the game into a total blowout just before the half. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Paul Costa said:

Colts started out 1-3 this year . They will finish the season 9-4 by beating Jacksonville. Which is a nice recovery. Colts caught Bills at a great time this year with their starting NT & MLB out. Definitely helped Colts running game. Game script played into Indy’s hands. McKenzie’s fumble after falling untouched for a Indy ST TD turned the game into a total blowout just before the half. 

Agreed. People forget how flukey that game was, and how it got away from us. Even Wentz’s miracle sack escape was a game changing play.

I think it would be a lot different game if we played them again. Taylor always gets his yards, but I have faith that we can contain him better the second time around. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.