Brandon Beane mid round picks looking great

Ben

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Everybody could say whatever they want about a couple of missed picks here and there 

The bills have been one of the best drafting teams in the NFL since McDermott got here

Yeah but it wasn't one of his best picks when he was here 

People don't understand that people get fires lit under their butts and they improve

Yet Cody Ford is given a chance year after year.  Besides the topic is his evaluation of mid rounds picks of which Teller was one of his best.  giving up on him too early is a different topic entirely

6 minutes ago, BillsFanThru-N-Thru said:

Yet Cody Ford is given a chance year after year.  Besides the topic is his evaluation of mid rounds picks of which Teller was one of his best.  giving up on him too early is a different topic entirely

Wyatt teller was a 5th round pick who didn't beat out feliciano or Spain decisively 

We then took Cody Ford in the second round who's going to get more time to develop than a 5th round pick  

Teller wasn't looking like an All-Pro here and the guard we drafted higher than him didn't develop... it's just simple as that 

We've been pretty good in the early mid and late rounds UFA too

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

When healthy this year, Knox is the best TE this team has had in a long time.

You don't have to be "one of the best" at your position in the entire league to be a very good player.

For TE's, he's tied at #1 for most TD's with Mark Andrews (Bal) & Hunter Henry (NE) while having played 2 less games.

He's done this while only being targeted 64 times. In comparison, we have others like:

Mark Andrews - 132 targets

Travis Kelce - 122 targets

Mike Gesicki - 102 targets

Kyle Pitts - 101 targets

Zach Ertz - 93 targets

George Kittle - 85 targets

So, I think it's more a matter of making the most of your opportunities, and the Bills having so many viable receiving options. He's also caught a much higher % of targets this year, so that shows he still hasn't reached his ceiling. Guys like him & Gabe Davis are just getting better.

My dog, the post I responded to said one of the best in the league. He’s not.

2 hours ago, Ben said:

I felt like this deserved its own thread since hes been critisized of late. 

Taron Johnson- forth rounder, one of the best slot cbs in the league 

Dawson Knox- third round, quiet today but has become one of the best tight ends in football

Devin Singletary third round has looked great the last month. When he gets carries he steps up.

Harrison Phillips third round, looks like we have a 1 tech and hes been playing hurt all year

Dane Jackson seventh round hes no Tre but hes more than held his own 

Gabe Davis fourth round, our second best receiver and a future long term starter.

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Dawson Knox is not one of the best tight ends in football.

Devin Singletary and Harrison Phillips have had a good one month, the last month.

Dane Jackson is good enough to make the roster, so that's a win.

Other than that, sure.

Think the truth is somewhere in between.  Knox is playing very well and improving, put him in the top ten, but not near the best.  Phillips has been good not just in the past month, think he's finally healthy.  And Jackson has done more than just make the roster, he's holding his own, admittedly hasn't faced too many top WR groups.  Likely the best groups he's facing is in practice every day.

Beane has drafted a lot of good to very good players. I am still waiting for him to draft a true game changer though. Obviously he found one in Allen and that alone is worthy of praise. But no other player he's drafted is a complete stud and every championship team needs 3-4 of those. Rousseau and Oliver and Knox have shown signs of being capable of getting to that level, hopefully one of them gets there next year. It may be worth casting off a few of our solid depth players next year in exchange for a stud that we overpay in free agency.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, SCBills said:

Knox is a Top 10 TE.   Not Kelce/Kittle level but he’s very good.  

Here is Knox as the 3rd best nfl TE.

https://www.nfl.com/news/top-10-tight-ends-of-the-2021-nfl-season-mark-andrews-travis-kelce-rolling

"he breakout tight end of the year has arrived as the bronze medal winner! Knox has been excellent for Buffalo this season, leading all tight ends with five touchdown catches and currently ranking second in yards per reception (13.6). Knox's emergence hasn't come by coincidence, as coordinator Brian Daboll has been capitalizing on his versatility by aligning him in the slot. And Knox has produced, leading tight ends in yards per target (14.5) and yards per reception (20) from that spot. Those marks are the best for any tight end with a minimum of 10 slot targets in any season going back to 2018. Knox's athleticism was on full display on a touchdown run that ended up being wiped out by a holding call in Buffalo's loss to Tennessee on Monday Night Football, but it's clear the Bills haven't avoided utilizing him in a variety of scenarios to put points on the board. With only 27 targets, Knox is scoring nearly once every five receptions. That's some excellent efficiency from a guy most folks didn't know by name prior to 2021. He'll surely be missed for however long he's out with a broken hand."--------------well he is back from that broken hand.

Entering the season he wasn't ranked by PFF

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-tight-end-rankings-2021-nfl-season

Fantacy football did not have him ranked in their pre season drafts.  Now they have him third.

/

Player (team)MatchupECR™vs. ECR

1George Kittle (SF)vs. HOU4+3

2Travis Kelce (KC)at CIN1-1

3Dawson Knox (BUF)vs. ATL6+3

4Mark Andrews (BAL)vs. LAR2-2

5Dallas Goedert (PHI)at WAS50

https://athlonsports.com/fantasy/tight-end-rankings-week-17-fantasy-football-2021

4 way tie for total TD (missed 2 games). #10 in yards per game.   (the Bills have these Diggs, Sanders, McKenszie, Davis  Beasly folks who take up most of the attempts)

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/player/_/stat/receiving/table/receiving/sort/receivingYards/dir/asc

6 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Think the truth is somewhere in between.  Knox is playing very well and improving, put him in the top ten, but not near the best.  Phillips has been good not just in the past month, think he's finally healthy.  And Jackson has done more than just make the roster, he's holding his own, admittedly hasn't faced too many top WR groups.  Likely the best groups he's facing is in practice every day.

You have to consider what the team's offence does.   Allen has a lot of great WR and for most of the season has been throwing to them successfully. Fewer passes for the tight end.  Now that the defences are laying back with 2 safeties and deep drops by the LB, and either using a 4 man contain rush or a blitz, the shorter passes will be there as well as the running game.

Another aspect is that some teams use the TE as the dump off/safe pass when the rest of the receivers are well covered.  The Bills have Beasly in the slot and he is uncanny at finding the holes in a zone or running scramble patterns to take that rule. Look at Andrews for the recently eliminated Ravens.  Allen also is a good runner and can run for positive yardage in many of those situations- which means fewer dump off passes to the TE.

9 hours ago, BillsFanThru-N-Thru said:

Still one of his best picks isn’t even on the Bills anymore Pro Bowl guard Wyatt Teller in the 5th Rd.  Of course he gave him away for 5th and 6th rounder which the 5th ended up going to Minni for Diggs and the 6th was Bass. Bass at least should’ve also been mentioned

Wyatt Teller was a Pro Bowl guard here? Just because he panned out in Cleveland in a totally different offense and blocking scheme doesn’t mean he would’ve here. It’s like Colts fans still being salty over Hughes being traded…..get over it already!

• Dislike 1

10 hours ago, BigDingus said:

When healthy this year, Knox is the best TE this team has had in a long time.

You don't have to be "one of the best" at your position in the entire league to be a very good player.

For TE's, he's tied at #1 for most TD's with Mark Andrews (Bal) & Hunter Henry (NE) while having played 2 less games.

He's done this while only being targeted 64 times. In comparison, we have others like:

Mark Andrews - 132 targets

Travis Kelce - 122 targets

Mike Gesicki - 102 targets

Kyle Pitts - 101 targets

Zach Ertz - 93 targets

George Kittle - 85 targets

So, I think it's more a matter of making the most of your opportunities, and the Bills having so many viable receiving options. He's also caught a much higher % of targets this year, so that shows he still hasn't reached his ceiling. Guys like him & Gabe Davis are just getting better.

I agree Knox has been a top 10 tight end this year. The underrated part has been his improved blocking. He is already a more rounded tight end than say Gesicki or Ertz. 

11 hours ago, Franchiseneedsme said:

Beans so good in the middle rounds I would be willing to trade/gamble more with the 1st rounders. Would Atlanta take 2 1st and a 2nd for Pitts? I think I would do that. And then sign Patterson. 

agree on willingness to trade early picks.  

1 hour ago, streetkings01 said:

Wyatt Teller was a Pro Bowl guard here? Just because he panned out in Cleveland in a totally different offense and blocking scheme doesn’t mean he would’ve here. It’s like Colts fans still being salty over Hughes being traded…..get over it already!

Really there's nothing to get over, my opinion is valid.  If you read the topic it was about  Beane's evaluation of mid rounds picks of which Teller was one of his best.  The Topic wasn't whether they played well here.  Giving up on him too early because he didn't fit that current scheme is a different topic entirely.  I'm not salty that Beane traded him away, that's a could've, would've, should've scenario just like you stated Indi decided with Hughes.

Edited by BillsFanThru-N-Thru

3 minutes ago, BillsFanThru-N-Thru said:

Really there's nothing to get over, my opinion is valid.  If you read the topic it was about  Beane's evaluation of mid rounds picks of which Teller was one of his best.  The Topic wasn't whether they played well here.  Giving up on him too early because he didn't fit that current scheme is a different topic entirely.  I'm not salty that Beane traded him away, that's a could've, would've, should've scenario just like you stated Indi decided with Hughes.

Did he make the Pro Bowl here? Was he an All-Pro here? You can’t say Teller was one of his best picks since he didn’t do much on the team that drafted him. You have to evaluate his drafts based on players that he drafted and how they contributed to this team.  Can the Colts GM that drafted Hughes now take credit for it after he’s had a successful career with another team?

1 minute ago, streetkings01 said:

Did he make the Pro Bowl here? Was he an All-Pro here? You can’t say Teller was one of his best picks since he didn’t do much on the team that drafted him. You have to evaluate his drafts based on players that he drafted and how they contributed to this team.  Can the Colts GM that drafted Hughes now take credit for it after he’s had a successful career with another team?

I guess we'll never see eye to eye on this topic.  My analysis of what the topic was about and yours is apparently different.  I stick by what I posted and still feel that way and you can have your opinion too

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.