Harrison Philips: how important is it for the Bills to re-sign him?

Beerball

18 hours ago, Beerball said:

He is again a stalwart on D and appears to be back to his pre-injury form.  He's also in the final year of his contract.  On a scale of 1-10, how important do you think it is that Beane re-sign him?  I assume/hope we are close to seeing the last of (nota) Star in a Bills uni so that also increases the need o resign Harry. 

Personally I put re-signing him at an 8, maybe a 7.5 on the low side.

What say you?

I will answer the question I might have added
They will get him under contract.
 putting in the qualifiers as to how much and how long is too much what ifs , buts etc does not matter to me.
They should and will keep him somehow.
yesterday was a fine day for him
Pick up another Ted Washington in the draft please though and the Defense would become brutal . or at least another Star

Go Bills

Go Harry !

17 hours ago, DCofNC said:

He’s not a starting DT, only reason he has ever started was as an injury replacement.  He’s been largely a non factor in the time he’s been in the league.  Nobody is paying him big money, Bills included.

He’s not a starting DT, only reason he has ever started was as an injury replacement.  He’s been largely a non factor in the time he’s been in the league.  Nobody is paying him big money, Bills included.

so what are you saying exactly   lol

18 hours ago, DCofNC said:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 1/2/2022 at 7:51 PM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Jordan Davis

"It's not very often you see a lineman with this combination of size and strength (6' 6" 340lbs). It's rarer for a man of his size to put it all together and produce and that's exactly what he has done during his time at Georgia. "

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Jordan-Davis-DL-Georgia

He'd be long gone by 32...

• Agree 1

On 1/3/2022 at 9:28 AM, Beerball said:

He is again a stalwart on D and appears to be back to his pre-injury form.  He's also in the final year of his contract.  On a scale of 1-10, how important do you think it is that Beane re-sign him?  I assume/hope we are close to seeing the last of (nota) Star in a Bills uni so that also increases the need o resign Harry. 

Personally I put re-signing him at an 8, maybe a 7.5 on the low side.

What say you?

Yeah, that seems about right. 

Less so if they keep Star.

I'd thought that was the likelihood, but with his recent problems with availability and his insistence on remaining unvaxed, I'm now thinking it's pretty likely they won't bring him back next  year. Star on the field has been a real plus for Buffalo, he's done what they brought him in to do. But availability is a key, and he has not been on the field this year as much as they needed him to be.

That makes Phillips more important. Wouldn't be surprised to see them address the position in the draft as well.

9 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

But Stars worth his pay even if he just stands there and takes up space. Or at least that’s what I’ve been told for the past few years. 

Star doesn't stand there. He goes side-to-side and clogs up the area being attacked really really well. And he's pushed backwards very rarely. He did indeed eat space like crazy.

It's not a coincidence that when he was with the Panthers their defensive YPA was quite good and that it went directly into the dumper the minute he left for Buffalo. Nor is it a coincidence that the year before he came here and the year he opted out were the worst recent years for the Bills in defensive YPA, nor that they improved a lot at it when he was in.

But availability matters.

On 1/3/2022 at 10:25 AM, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Cap goes up significantly too 

Unfortunately, our cap problems next year are pretty significant. Right now we've got $9.4M available next year. That'll change before the season but we're not going to see a lot of extra space.

And we're only going to be able to roll over about $600K from this year's unspent cap.

The Covid cap cuts really ruined a careful and thoughtful plan that Beane had put in place before the pandemic.

Edited by Thurman#1

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Unfortunately, our cap problems next year are pretty significant. Right now we've got $9.4M available next year. That'll change before the season but we're not going to see a lot of extra space.

And we're only going to be able to roll over about $600K from this year's unspent cap.

The Covid cap cuts really ruined a careful and thoughtful plan that Beane had put in place before the pandemic.

There are lots of cuttable players though. Beasley, Felciano, Klein and possibly Star. 

Feliciano and Star have lost their starting jobs, Beas is clinging to his by a thread and Klein is the sort of luxury vet backup you have to cut loose as you pay your own guys.

Then extend Stef, reduce his hit, extend Tremaine and bring down the tag number and the Bills are still in pretty good cap shape. They can do whatever they want to do this offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

The question is, do the Bills spend worrying about the cap long term or do they spend to “win now”?

Spending to win now does not necessarily guarantee anything.  Yeah, they can try to purchase the best available players.  Heavens knows we could use upgrades at some positions.  Not every FA fits your team.

Spending and cultivating your own doesn’t guarantee anything either.  Yes, you know your players the best; lived with them day in and day out.  

That being said.  Keep Harry.  Don’t care the cost.  Should be in a good cap situation to do so.  Feel he will only get better in this system.  I say keep Star also if he wants to be here, of course at a pay cut.  Although I don’t think he wants to be here TBH, most likely mutual feeling.

22 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

The question is, do the Bills spend worrying about the cap long term or do they spend to “win now”?

Spending to win now does not necessarily guarantee anything.  Yeah, they can try to purchase the best available players.  Heavens knows we could use upgrades at some positions.  Not every FA fits your team.

Spending and cultivating your own doesn’t guarantee anything either.  Yes, you know your players the best; lived with them day in and day out.  

That being said.  Keep Harry.  Don’t care the cost.  Should be in a good cap situation to do so.  Feel he will only get better in this system.  I say keep Star also if he wants to be here, of course at a pay cut.  Although I don’t think he wants to be here TBH, most likely mutual feeling.

The Bills have the advantage of rich owners willing to spend, which enables them to give people FA deals that look like 4 years but are actually two, give them a load of cash up front, build yourself flexibility to get out of deals after a couple of years. Brandon Beane and co have already used that asset to good effect and I expect them to continue to do so. I don't buy that the Bills have to make a big strategic decision between win now and or sustained success. They will at some point, I just don't think they are close to that yet. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Lets see what Philips and Edmunds both do in the big games before we decide. The better question to me is Ed and what he does for the 1+ games we have left. Either way I hope all three provide whats needed to go on a 5 game winning streak.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.