Harrison Philips: how important is it for the Bills to re-sign him?

Beerball

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

He’s not a starting DT, only reason he has ever started was as an injury replacement.  He’s been largely a non factor in the time he’s been in the league.  Nobody is paying him big money, Bills included.

He’s not a starting DT, only reason he has ever started was as an injury replacement.  He’s been largely a non factor in the time he’s been in the league.  Nobody is paying him big money, Bills included.

you made your point the first time.

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Depends if he wants to test the market.  To me he doesnt have enough pass rush to be a true 3 tech and isnt big enough to be a full time 1 tech.  Great team guy but he isnt a plug and play 100% of the snap starter that will demand 8 to 10 a year.

is there any Dlineman that plays 100% or even near that many snaps?

• Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Our interior d-line has quietly been very good all season and I would be happy to have the exact same group next year. I think we can get Phillips for something like 3 years $15 mil with an easy out after year 1 and year 2.

He'll sign if he's offered a decent deal I bet.

3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Jordan Davis

"It's not very often you see a lineman with this combination of size and strength (6' 6" 340lbs). It's rarer for a man of his size to put it all together and produce and that's exactly what he has done during his time at Georgia. "

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Jordan-Davis-DL-Georgia

He's going top 15 if not Top 10.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Our interior d-line has quietly been very good all season and I would be happy to have the exact same group next year. I think we can get Phillips for something like 3 years $15 mil with an easy out after year 1 and year 2.

Phillips has played well as of late.  He seems to be back at the level he was just prior to tearing his ACL against the Bengals.  I think Bills will want to bring him back.

• Like (+1) 1

Harrison Phillips is the unsung hero the last 3-4 weeks IMO. Star was activated today and barely saw the field. Harry has taken total control of his opportunity. He presser was great today as well. He even acknowledged the cafeteria workers with the great job they have done. And if anyone knows a good cafeteria meal, it's Horrible Harry. Time to take a back seat and watch Star!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Mango said:

I really like his game as of late. I don’t know what you pay him though. He’s been mediocre more than he’s been impressive. But he’s been impressive lately. I’d like to draft a Vita Vea type, but there are no guarantees on draft day or how they pan out after that. 

2 years, $10M, $6M guaranteed? He makes more money. We get a discount. He can get a new contract sooner rather than later for a bigger pay day? 

i like this.  then draft a 1T also

12 hours ago, 97bills said:

I would love to keep him but look to upgrade if possible. Let’s not fool our selfs this Dline was terrible all year and he was a big part of that. 

this is also true.   he has had a great 3 weeks.  not sure if finally over injury or what.  But we need another 1T.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Do you stutter all the time?

16 hours ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

He's going top 15 if not Top 10.

Devonte Wyatt is a fifth year senior on the UGA line that could be there in the second round when the Bills pick. 6’3 315 pounds. Looking forward to watching him against Bama and then how he does in his pre-draft testing. I usually like interior linemen on both sides of the ball starting late in the second through the 5th round. Unless you are picking in the top ten and there is someone you feel is a game changing Dtackle available. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 2

Harry has been a good fit for the Bills ever since he got here & i would hope seeing as he is playing closer to his old self that Beane & company can see that for what they have payed Star he is no where near as dependable as Harry you match him with the kid they bring up from the PS and you can have 2 for the price of 1 !! 

It wouldn't hurt my feelings as long as Harry can continue to play at a high level to see him retire as a Bill he reminds me a lot of Kyle in a lot of ways I'm not sure how intense he is on game day but like Kyle seems to be a Bills type player through & through ...

• Disagree 1

They should absolutely make his a priority re-signing!!  They are so much better against the run when he's in the game and he gets pressures allowing players like Oliver freer to rush the passer.

Only wish he would get the love he deserves rather than looking for love...

6CINVYWLD5GXPAOQXPSCFIBJXE.jpg

HEY GUYS!!  I GOT THE BALL!!  Hey guys?  Guys? Hello?  Guys? Anyone?  I need a hug...

(Credit - Jeffrey Barnes Photo)

Edited by FlaFitz1
  • Like (+1) 1

Re-sign him, for sure.

It's taken some time, and some unfortunate injury luck, but he is finally looking like the player he was at Stanford.

He also seems like a genuinely good and hard working person and teammate. I don't think we need to worry about him only playing well because it's a contract year and then mentally checking out once he gets paid.

"Process guy" through and through. Reinforces the staff's motto of "draft, develop, retain".

Re-sign him.

• Like (+1) 6

My answer would be "not very". But the fact that he seems to have passed Star on the depth chart is interesting. Harrison has had the best month of his career right before that contract question becomes due. If the Bills extend Harrison (and I am not against it at the right price, but I am not paying him based on 1 month's production I am paying him based on where I think he is after 4 years in the league,) then I think they probably cut Star. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

My answer would be "not very". But the fact that he seems to have passed Star on the depth chart is interesting. Harrison has had the best month of his career right before that contract question becomes due. If the Bills extend Harrison (and I am not against it at the right price, but I am not paying him based on 1 month's production I am paying him based on where I think he is after 4 years in the league,) then I think they probably cut Star. 

Unfortunately, Beane gave out maybe his worst contract as a GM to Star. Cutting him saves just $2m against a $9M cap. If my understanding of how the cap works is correct, our best hope is that Star retires, which would save us $4m against the cap.

34 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Unfortunately, Beane gave out maybe his worst contract as a GM to Star. Cutting him saves just $2m against a $9M cap. If my understanding of how the cap works is correct, our best hope is that Star retires, which would save us $4m against the cap.

If they release him before June 1st they save $4.15 million and have a dead cap hit of $5.2 million in 2022 and save $6.35 million and have $2.6 million in dead money in 2023.    If he is designated a post June 1st cut it's $2.6 million dead money both seasons and savings of $6.75 and $6.35 million respectively.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

They also got stung on the restructure that was supposed to make him cuttable after this season but his opt out pushed everything back a year because of the agreement the NFLPA negotiated with the league. They can designate him a post June cut and spread the hit out though which would mean they opened up $4.25m in space for 2022. If you are going to bring Harrison back as your starter that is the move you make IMO. 

Jordan Davis will be off the board long before we pick. 

I'm thinking this guy may be available when we get to pick, and don't mind the Alabama pedigree

Phidarian Mathis, DT, Alabama
Height: 6-4. Weight: 320.
Projected 40 Time: 5.46.
Projected Round (2022): 2-3.. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.