Harrison Philips: how important is it for the Bills to re-sign him?

Beerball

10 minutes ago, RunJoshRun said:

It would be a shame to lose Wallace after he finally has the game figured out!

Nobody bashed Levi more than me and he's made me to an extent eat my words. The guy has proven to be a very capable #2 CB especially holding his own since Tre went down. Definitely a re-sign with a nice bonus coming his way. Harry should be retained as well though I don't consider him a starter and more quality depth.

But, I said the same about Levi at the start of the season so what do I know?

• Like (+1) 3

Didnt realize he had four tackles, a sack, a TFL, and 3 QB hits this game. He’s been playing outstanding. Of course Star wasn’t on the stat sheet, even when his mind is right he’s only good for 1-2 tackles per game.

• Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

I'm not interested in paying Harrison more than backup money.  But Star absolutely has to go and somebody has to play interior D-Line.

I agree, but we need to divert considerable assets to the O line this offseason, not the D line! 

If he'll work for cheap, sign him.

3 minutes ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

I'm not interested in paying Harrison more than backup money.  But Star absolutely has to go and somebody has to play interior D-Line.

So, how many holes are you willing to create? Now that Josh has his $$$ it gets more difficult for Beane to balance the books.  Do you put o-line or d-line as the overall #1 need this off season?

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Simon said:

I'm right with you.

With Star and Butler certainly on the way out the door, Harry is a must-keep so they can devote their available resources to the OLine.

Yeah Star and Butler have one foot out the door. Sign Harry to a reasonable contract and draft a big ugly.

25 minutes ago, klos63 said:

He'll get a lot more than that if he tests the market. He's a starting DT. He'll probably get more term too.

He’s not a starting DT, only reason he has ever started was as an injury replacement.  He’s been largely a non factor in the time he’s been in the league.  Nobody is paying him big money, Bills included.

He'll get a lot more than that if he tests the market. He's a starting DT. He'll probably get more term too.

He’s not a starting DT, only reason he has ever started was as an injury replacement.  He’s been largely a non factor in the time he’s been in the league.  Nobody is paying him big money, Bills included.

• Disagree 1

Solid depth player, good locker room guy and seems coachable.  I’m sure they’d like to bring him back and it shouldn’t take much.  His skill set is simply not the kind of thing the market values too highly.  Look at how much guys like Dalvin Tomlinson, Derrick Wolfe, etc. got and those guys can occasionally rush the passer.  Harry won’t be expensive to re-sign if they want him.

I've really appreciated Harry for both his ability and his personality (on and off the field) since we drafted him. Unfortunately, injuries have held him back from playing to his full capabilities far to often. We've seen him start playing at a very high level a couple times, but then suffer a significant injury and have to restart his climb all over.  If the medical staff thinks his past injuries are not really indicative of his future availability, then we clearly need to resign him to a mid-level contract.  I also think he is one of those "glue guys" that McBeane loves and wants to reward. Perhaps a decent incentive based contract is a reasonable solution. 

That all said, I'm really happy that he is starting to play at that "high level" again now, as unless Star steps it up, he's the only big presence we have in the middle.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Very important, we dont have a lot of playmakers on the Dline so we should definitely keep him, Zimmer and Oliver are top 3

I think we can get talent for both lines, and obviously should keep Phillips

What injury ?

Knee. PCL? I'm not sure of the exactly diagnosis but he did it in preseason and spent the early part of the year inactive but still on the roster. 

Then he came back and has played through it because he's a friggin beast.

22 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Thats even more impressive with how he has been playing

Yeah, this

39 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Pay the man. He's worth it.

I think he is a real glue type like Kyle Williams.

I just hope he can get these injuries behind him. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

i think you're right with 8.  Pay him some of what you save by releasing Star.  I think he'll be a lot like Milano, he'll want to stay in Buffalo and will take a contract that's mutually beneficial. 

They'll have Oliver and most likely Zimmer (RFA) at 3 tech, so they'll need to draft another 1 tech.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.