Harrison Philips: how important is it for the Bills to re-sign him?

Beerball

• 1 month later...

Harrison is hitting his stride and in his prime.  Resign him.   The trouble with not keeping your FA, ones that are productive, is that you will have to spend draft picks or sign a FA (at a more friendly contract).  Neither guarantee the team will be better.  Only way you let a UFA walk is if you have their replacement on the team and they are ready to step up.  Not the case with the Bills.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

No to Wallace...yes to everything else you said...👍

I can see Beane using his wizardly, letting Wallace get his payday elsewhere.  We then draft CB2 with our 1st.  The plan is the CB2 is more athletic and an upgrade, and 4 year starting CB on rookie contract.  That frees $ to sign OL and/or Chandler Jones.  Then load up on offense with the rest of the picks

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

I can see Beane using his wizardly, letting Wallace get his payday elsewhere.  We then draft CB2 with our 1st.  The plan is the CB2 is more athletic and an upgrade, and 4 year starting CB on rookie contract.  That frees $ to sign OL and/or Chandler Jones.  Then load up on offense with the rest of the picks

It almost has to be the plan because they need to get more athletic AND cheaper at CB2. They are paying the rest of the secondary - White, Taron J, Hyde, Poyer. They need at least one on a rookie deal. And one could argue Hyde and Poyer are still underpaid. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

he played very well the second half of the year. Harry has earned a decent contract so he doesn’t have to do the tacky west-herr commercial any more. He has overcome a couple of injuries hopefully he isn’t one of those guys who never reaches full potential because of injuries. I’d take a chance

On 3/1/2022 at 6:45 PM, Nitro said:

Harrison is hitting his stride and in his prime.  Resign him.   The trouble with not keeping your FA, ones that are productive, is that you will have to spend draft picks or sign a FA (at a more friendly contract).  Neither guarantee the team will be better.  Only way you let a UFA walk is if you have their replacement on the team and they are ready to step up.  Not the case with the Bills.  

It is almost as if drafting Singletary then Moss, and AJE, then Groot and Basham have rippling effects through the roster....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Phillips played well for about 6 games in 4 years. So you let him test free agency to see what his value is. It's a weird case and you have to be careful not overpay the guy and misread the market. Justin Zimmer played just as well, if not better when he was healthy for league minimum. 

17 minutes ago, Greatdane21 said:

he played very well the second half of the year. Harry has earned a decent contract so he doesn’t have to do the tacky west-herr commercial any more. He has overcome a couple of injuries hopefully he isn’t one of those guys who never reaches full potential because of injuries. I’d take a chance

A long term commitment is different than taking a chance. That's the issue. What is his market? You can't overpay for the limited production. Sure it seems like he is hitting his stride, but you can't take that chance with a tight cap. That type of risk may hinder you from singing guys like Dawson Knox etc in the future. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Agree 1

On 3/1/2022 at 7:24 PM, YoloinOhio said:

It almost has to be the plan because they need to get more athletic AND cheaper at CB2. They are paying the rest of the secondary - White, Taron J, Hyde, Poyer. They need at least one on a rookie deal. And one could argue Hyde and Poyer are still underpaid. 

I tend to agree. With a looming Poyer extension it’s only going to get more expensive.

I wouldn’t be shocked if some combination of our first three picks the Bills go DL and CB. 

3 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Phillips played well for about 6 games in 4 years. So you let him test free agency to see what his value is. It's a weird case and you have to be careful not overpay the guy and misread the market. Justin Zimmer played just as well, if not better when he was healthy for league minimum. 

It’s not so easy to get quality play at league minimum wages over extended periods of time, but Beane has done well there, one can include Levi Wallace in the low pay good performance category as well.   I will reserve judgment until after the draft before I make any claims about Beanes acumen in player acquisitions.  Most fans should do the same, as they certainly aren’t talented enough to compete for his job…, 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Greatdane21 said:

I'd love to get him back. 

Saw an estimate recently he will get a contract for somewhere near $24M for three years.

That's pretty close to the threshold for me. The price they have to pay might have a lot to do with whether we get him back. I would guess they want him pretty bad, but there will be some limit in Beane's mind.

29 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

A long term commitment is different than taking a chance. That's the issue. What is his market? You can't overpay for the limited production. Sure it seems like he is hitting his stride, but you can't take that chance with a tight cap. That type of risk may hinder you from singing guys like Dawson Knox etc in the future. 

Zimmer played well, but not as well as Harry did for half a year before his injury and after he finally got over the injury around halfway through last season.

Both are FAs. Pretty sure the contracts each gets will show that the league agrees with me on that.

Edited by Thurman#1

19 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

It’s not so easy to get quality play at league minimum wages over extended periods of time, but Beane has done well there, one can include Levi Wallace in the low pay good performance category as well.   I will reserve judgment until after the draft before I make any claims about Beanes acumen in player acquisitions.  Most fans should do the same, as they certainly aren’t talented enough to compete for his job…, 

Putting together a top five roster two years in a row already says an awful lot about Beane's acumen in player acquisitions, I think. Nobody's perfect, but he's damn good.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

Putting together a top five roster two years in a row already says an awful lot about Beane's acumen in player acquisitions, I think. Nobody's perfect, but he's damn good.

This has certainly been a good team, but I would vehemently disagree about this being a top 5 roster especially looking at the lack of game changing talent on the defensive side of the ball.

But this is why this offseason is so critical because Beane can make this roster much better if he does swing big on the defensive side and adds at least one proven game changer in the form of a pass rusher.

On 1/5/2022 at 2:06 AM, TheFunPolice said:

you can always work the salary cap...

Saints always have like -$75 million in space and still sign people and hand out insane contract extensions like the one for Hill 

The Saints continuous botching of their cap resulted in them having a year after year top three QB and a top five coach and only managing one title out of it.

Yes, you CAN always work the salary cap. But it absolutely tends to mean you kick more and more cans down the road and you end up bringing in some guys but at the cost of being forced to make some moves and not being able to make others that you otherwise could have managed.

Yeah, I could absolutely get myself a new Ferrari, if I put it on the credit cards. I could. Doesn't mean it would be a smart move.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.