NFL needs a draft lottery…

bills6969

1 hour ago, Arkady Renko said:

Mike Schopp had the right idea of having the draft ordered determined by order of being eliminated from the playoffs so there’s no incentive to lose more once you’re out of it. 

I like this one

1 minute ago, Simon said:

I like this one

Would you not just bring the point of the tank forward? I mean realistically nobody is out before Thanksgiving. I can see the logic but not sure it solves the problem, suspect it just moves it. You might have teams tanking in week 11 or 12. Not that the Jets tanked today. They just suck. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Would you not just bring the point of the tank forward? I mean realistically nobody is out before Thanksgiving. I can see the logic but not sure it solves the problem, suspect it just moves it. You might have teams tanking in week 11 or 12. Not that the Jets tanked today. They just suck. 

I think pride and a certain amount of self-delusion keep most football teams competitive for at least 3/4 of any given season, no matter their objective situations.

Where I do think it might help is teams going all out to win late in the season, if their draft position is already set. Maybe a few less examples of some teams getting free rides in Week 15/16 because they were lucky enough to draw a team that had negative incentive to win.

Just now, Simon said:

I think pride and a certain amount of self-delusion keep most football teams competitive for at least 3/4 of any given season, no matter their objective situations.

Where I do think it might help is teams going all out to win late in the season, if their draft position is already set. Maybe a few less examples of some teams getting free rides in Week 15/16 because they were lucky enough to draw a team that had negative incentive to win.

Hmm. I remain sceptical. If I play for a team I feel has packed in the season week 12 am I likely to play my tail off for them in a rivalry game week 17? Dunno just not sure I see it as solving anything.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Hmm. I remain sceptical. If I play for a team I feel has packed in the season week 12 am I likely to play my tail off for them in a rivalry game week 17? Dunno just not sure I see it as solving anything.

I don't think it perfectly solves any significant problems, but maybe it makes the occasional team give somebody a better game late in the season instead of hosting Sunday tryouts because an L helps them more than a W. Probably wouldn't make much of a real difference in draft position but it might be a bit more entertaining even if its just because its an alternate procedure.

2 hours ago, bills6969 said:

To prevent teams like the Jets from purposely throwing games.  Was so obvious they tanked the game at the end to lose.

Did guys miss blocks or tackles on purpose to put up lousy film crushing their careeers? Did they drop balls intentionally and hurt their ability to continue to earn millions of dollars? 

Bad teams find a way to lose. Players and coaches don’t try to ruin their careers. 

• Agree 1

In the NBA, one “Superstar” is more able to make a huge impact on the game, so tanking would be worth it. However, in the NFL, a Superstar will only play in one direction while sitting the other way, and other than the QB, may not even touch the ball on a drive. Less of an impact. As for the QB, the learning curve is so steep and there are no guarantees (Mayfield, Darnold we’re taken before Josh, and many thought Rosen was going to be better). Just look at Lawrence. He was graded so freaking high and has won everywhere, but he will continue to look below average to hot garbage for another year. 

"Tanking" doesn't take place at the team/player level.

It takes place much higher than that.

The Sabres organization absolutely tanked the 2 seasons we got Reinhart and Eichel.

But every guy on those teams was trying to win the best he could, and Ted Nolan too (coach).

That's why management had the teams stocked with AHLers and really, really bad goaltenders.

The idea isn't that players are throwing games; it's that the team is deliberately constructed to be so poor they can't win games.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Correct, if teams actually practiced tanking.  The worst teams in the NFL aren't tanking. 

The Jags are about to get their second overall number 1.  They will still suck next year.

The system isn't broken so it doesn't need fixing.

OPs take on the Jets game today is so wrong.

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Correct, if teams actually practiced tanking.  The worst teams in the NFL aren't tanking. 

The Jags are about to get their second overall number 1.  They will still suck next year.

Oh I agree. I think actual tanking in the NFL is very rare.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The Sabres organization absolutely tanked the 2 seasons we got Reinhart and Eichel.

But every guy on those teams was trying to win the best he could, and Ted Nolan too (coach).

That's why management had the teams stocked with AHLers and really, really bad goaltenders.

The idea isn't that players are throwing games; it's that the team is deliberately constructed to be so poor they can't win games.

So……what, exactly, does that look like in the NFL?  In the NBA one or two guys can change a franchise. In the NFL a QB might make a difference, but he needs help. You have 53 NFL guys (plus) vs a dozen in the NBA. 

So how does an NFL team tank? 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

So……what, exactly, does that look like in the NFL?  In the NBA one or two guys can change a franchise. In the NFL a QB might make a difference, but he needs help. You have 53 NFL guys (plus) vs a dozen in the NBA. 

So how does an NFL team tank? 

I don't think NFL teams do tank; the OP suggested that today the Jets "tanked" and it was obvious.

Like the players on the field were doing things deliberately to not win the game.

The idea is absurd.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I don't think NFL teams do tank; the OP suggested that today the Jets "tanked" and it was obvious.

Like the players on the field were doing things deliberately to not win the game.

The idea is absurd.

But as to the “higher level”, you refer to? 

That would require an explanation, in my mind. Is that just NHL? 

Edited by Augie

2 hours ago, Arkady Renko said:

Mike Schopp had the right idea of having the draft ordered determined by order of being eliminated from the playoffs so there’s no incentive to lose more once you’re out of it. 

This is why their radio show is so annoying. They usually have good ideas when it comes to football but it's always just drowned out by their narcissistic, unintelligible banter.

Edited by MPT
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Eichel was drafted 6 years ago and the Sabres have sucked before and since.  Are they still tanking?? 

How can you tell when the Sabres are tanking?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.